Marlee Matlin..

Audiofuzzy

Reaction score
I am reading MM "I'll Scream Later", and she in her book mentioned that while acting in Reasonable Doubts
she opted for "English signed" instead of ASL as it doesn't require "interpreter to interpret" - just translate (???) - which I don't get it - could someone please explain what is the diffrence between 'English signed' and ASL - as I assume, then, we are not speaking about English (UK) version of sign language like ASL - an ESL,
but rather some different form of American signed language??,

and what does that mean "interpreter does not interprets", please???

help anyone?? - any will be much appreciated, thanks!

Fuzzy

I am reading MM "I'll Scream Later", and she in her book mentioned that while acting in Reasonable Doubts
she opted for "English signed" instead of ASL as it doesn't require "interpreter to interpret" - just translate (???) - which I don't get it - could someone please explain what is the diffrence between 'English signed' and ASL - as I assume, then, we are not speaking about English (UK) version of sign language like ASL - an ESL,
but rather some different form of American signed language??,

and what does that mean "interpreter does not interprets", please???

help anyone?? - any will be much appreciated, thanks!

Fuzzy

It means that she opted to used SEEII - which is "Signed Exact English" - it's not actaully a signed language at all - it's a special way of coding English into specific signs which are modified from standard ASL. In SEEII one is signing in "English word order" (not Sign Language order) and uses initialization (ASL alphabet letters to modify a sign's meaning) and more extensive fingerspelling etc so that the person voicing for her didn't make word choices for the signs, nor re-arrange the grammar (as one would with ASL/BSL etc) into English.

The reason for this in a court setting for a signing lawyer would be so that there was no question (judge, jury etc) regarding phrasing, specific word usage etc and to eliminate any "meaning or linguistic colouring" of how things were said by the interpreter. What was voiced, was exactly how it was signed.

Legal setting is actually (outside of an English Class) where SEEII is perhaps the most applicable - even desirable.

Hope that helps?

Back