Interpreter dress code

Dennis S.

Reaction score
As an offshoot from another thread, I'm starting this one.

A poster on these forums stated that these women in the below picture "look like professional interpreters"

pic_corporatewear.jpg

Quoting that poster:

Reba said:
Terps are supposed to wear clothing that is an easy contrast with the color of their skin, and not confusing for the eyes. That means, white terps wear black, navy blue, dark green, dark burgandy, dark gray. Black terps wear cream, pastels, beige. Terp clothes can't have stripes, flowers, polka dots, plaids, or any kind of "busy" pattern. Subtle patterns are OK. No long earrings, no bright nail polish, no bracelets or watches, only simple rings (not on every finger), no shiny fabrics, no visible tatoos, no long hair bangs, no bushy mustaches or beards, and no turtleneck sweaters. Nothing "distracting" is allowed. Also, terps have to be careful not to have anything too loose on their shirts, like loops or baggy pockets, because you can get "hung up" in them (it has happened to me). We have to be careful with our glasses, too. Sometimes they go into orbit with certain signs, ha, ha.

I usually wear long skirts or slacks while terping because I am either standing on a platform or sitting at the front of a room facing the audience or class. I don't want to offer any "free shows", if you know what I mean. My other preference is no sleeveless tops. I don't want people to see my upper arms flapping in the breeze while signing.

Of course, terps have to dress appropriate to the setting. That is, formal for church, court, and business meetings, or casual for sports events or industrial work places. At the college, I usually dress similar to the instructors.

The Deaf clients do not demand that. That is just what is normal professional appearance for terps. If a terp doesn't dress appropriately, then the clients can complain, and the boss will have a "talk" with the terp.

A few of our Deaf clients also have low vision, so we have to be even more careful about what we wear for them.

If you saw my clothes closet you would think I go to a lot of funerals, ha, ha.

For the most part, I agree with this poster. I would like to add that in my industry, there is some leeway for interpreters to wear "smocks" which are simply solid-colored jackets worn over their normal clothes. Depending on if the interpreter is a full time interpreter or if they're a part time interpreter, that will affect their attire.

I've worked with certified interpreters who are hired as admin assistants as their "day job" at the office. They are allowed to dress business casual, and as creative admin assistants tend to do, they dress creatively, often seasonally. Off the top of my head, I remember blue/black striped sweaters, white shawls, orange turtlenecks, white/navy plaid blouses, and green cardigans.

When an interpreter is needed, the certified admin assistant are called to do so with a smock if necessary. If their interpreting skills are needed in advance, they are informed and are expected to show up dressed appropriately.

I have seen them dress like the picture above with advance notice especially if someone like a company executive or a customer will be present, vs. a conference call where they're not seen and have to dress to impress.

Last edited:
You pretty much said everything. That's what I like on my interpreters. I have had a couple of interpreters in the past who wear horrible flashy clothes. :ugh:

It really doesn't bother me what type of clothes any interpreters wear as long they have clothes on them ....

If I had to use an interpreter I would prefer looking at a halter top and mini skirt

LOL...

Of course you guys rather to see that on any women for that matter!!... :roll:

Liebling:-))) said:
Its up to terps whatever they want to wear, including ear pierce, nail polish, hair style, etc. We would lose terps if we kept on compaint about them all the time. (We need terps badly since we have few terps in Bavaria where we live) Terps here wear anything what they wants because it´s them, we learn to accept as they are also accept what I am, too.

Honestly, terps´s taste of clothes doesnt bother me because I accept what they are.
I guess each country is different. In the USA, professional terps are supposed to follow guidelines of appearance and behavior. The reason for dressing a certain way has nothing to do with style or personal preference. One reason is to make it easier for the Deaf client to see the signs clearly, and not get tired eyes. Another reason is to look professional, not like a volunteer terp from off the street. A third reason is to not embarress the Deaf clients in front of the hearing clients.

If a terp has a professional attitude, then he/she should not mind dressing appropriately.

If a client complains about the terp's appearance or behavior, nothing bad happens to the client. They don't "lose" terps. If the terp wants to keep working, the terp must make the changes.

Of course, a terp should never, never criticize the clothing of a client.

I am curious. How do you hire terps in Bavaria? Thru an agency, or as individuals in private practice, or ...? Who pays?

I remember seeing a professional interpreters in action when I was a kid (mid-70s). They were wearing dark navy blue lab coats. I guess it was standard attire back then, right?

I know for sure interps hate those "smocks", they'd rather wear something they like and match the standard clothing requirements for being on the job than to wear a fugly "smock".

bbnt said:
If I had to use an interpreter I would prefer looking at a halter top and mini skirt
Levonian said:
I'd have to say that I'm with bbnt all the way on this one...

Yeah, yeah.. You'd find them in Utah! :naughty: Some of them even wear see-through blouses! Just ask RedTwister!

Deaf258 said:
I know for sure interps hate those "smocks", they'd rather wear something they like and match the standard clothing requirements for being on the job than to wear a fugly "smock".
I have never had an assignment requiring a smock. Most terps prefer more professional attire now. A smock is OK in an emergency, if you don't have time to change clothes. Also, most adult clients now prefer to use terps that "blend in" better with the crowd and not look so "institutional".

Reba said:
I have never had an assignment requiring a smock. Most terps prefer more professional attire now. A smock is OK in an emergency, if you don't have time to change clothes. Also, most adult clients now prefer to use terps that "blend in" better with the crowd and not look so "institutional".

I agree, I think smocks are pretty much a thing of the past, or at least that is what I have heard from people who have been interpreting for 20 or 30 years and have seen the profession change.

The above picture is very professional, but it definitely depends on where you are interpreting. In a business environment, that would be very appropriate. In a community college setting (where I mostly interpret), that would be too formal. I would feel really silly if I were dressed better than the teacher! I usually wear a black or dark blue plain T-shirt (no pockets, logos, etc.) and a pair of neutral-colored pants. However, if I were to interpret at a university, I would have to dress more formally, or so I hear.

bbnt said:

That just cracked me up. I have heard some INTERESTING stories about some interpreters who would have made you very happy!

Interpreters should dress nice.

I agree with you Reba,
Interpreters should dress in nice clothes that are comfortable.
They shouldn't wear alot or jewerly, especially alot of dangeling earrings,
bangel bracelets ect.
And if they have long hair, it shoiuld be put up in a nice bun out of the way.
I'm an interpreter myself,and I've seen one interprerter at GWC( Golden West College in Hunginton Beach CA), she got fired cause the deaf students compalined she was playing her hair and jewerly.
Margie
Dir. of Communication Services
OCDAC

I had interpreters, who dresses nice and others dress normal. It doesn't bother me as long nothing too freaky.

I agreed that interpreters should dress professionally since it is a job after all. One thing about the picture, I don't think interpreter should wear mini skirts or any skirts above the knee. Maybe it won't bother the deaf client but it can be distracting for others who can probably see "underneath." :roll:
Skirts lengths that pass the knee should be okay.

Interpreter should dress to blend in the environment such as the college university. I had a professor who came to class teaching with flip flops, beach shorts, and tie dye shirts. :crazy: I know I would feel out of place if the interpreter showed up too professionally dress for that class.

Most an interpreter wear dark uniforms, designed help with a deaf and visually impaired see clearly.

So glad I found this discussion!! I am an interpretter for a church and several people (including the friend I interpret the most for!) have thought my concerns about dress were a bit strange at times... but I thought I remembered talking about dress in one of my classes. One thing I try to do... I stand in front of a mirror and sign a few phrases before I leave to interpret somewhere. If I can't follow a few phrases in the mirror, I know that my friend would have difficulty following me for a whole hour in whatever I had chosen to wear. Thanks all for the input!!

I believe it's important what interpreters wear. I remember a teacher of the deaf talking to me about it a few years and we were discussing what kind of dress was appropriate for interpreters. I found colours that were not dark the most distracting because of their hands being blurred with the colours. It's not such a problem at a close distance but further away, it does get tiring. I have eye problems as well, so it is even more important to me.

However, most interpreters these days seem to ignore this and they wear whatever they feel like... which is a pain. The most professional interpreters I have seen are the ones that follow the dress code very carefully.

As long as she or he know how to wear Dress Code. I would like to see person wear nice clothes. Not need V shirt or Flash shirt to show off skin, don't wear Skirt too short, don't wear too makeup and perfume, and don't use Bright colored nail polish. It never happened to me before...(knock the wood). Mostly of them wear and show appropriate appearance and clothes.
Mommyof3

What about tongue studs? I once had an interpreter with one, and it was kinda distracting with all the metal glinting and all that.

Back