How do get your dog to take pills?

They also make pill cutters that slice the pills in half. You can probably find them in any drug store. Then the pill halves are smaller and will hide easier.

My dog is very food oriented and will take food without question! If he finds the meds and spits them out, he's relatively easy to pill. My cats are getting older and I wil have to find a way to pill cats!!! :eek3: But that's for another thread! :laugh2:

We wrap it in lunch meat. We did it with our old dog's allergy medication. We haven't had to give our 1 1/2 year old bassets a pill yet, though.

I brought some chicken from the deli at Market Basket and my dog did not like it! It was a cheaper brand I did not think my dog would mind , boy I was wrong! I really can't blame my dog , I tried the chicken it was awful! I am going try the hot dog tonight, my dog was feed hot dog when he was being trained so I hope he fall it! I have 6 more days to go. Oy Vey!
You will not believe what my dog did with the dog hot! He tried to bury it in his blanket to save for later!
LOL!! I had to put the pill down his throat , I really do not like doing that way , he has long nose and I have to get my hand out fast , he will not bite but he does need to close his month to shallow and I do not want my fingers in the way!

I brought some chicken from the deli at Market Basket and my dog did not like it! It was a cheaper brand I did not think my dog would mind , boy I was wrong! I really can't blame my dog , I tried the chicken it was awful! I am going try the hot dog tonight, my dog was feed hot dog when he was being trained so I hope he fall it! I have 6 more days to go. Oy Vey!

Well, at least he is getting better. It feels like we should have an AD party to celebrate when he finishes his antibiotics.

well, at least he is getting better. It feels like we should have an ad party to celebrate when he finishes his antibiotics.

lol!! Yeah he is getting better and back to being a wise guy! I call my dog a Fresh Poodle instead of a French Poodle!

Last edited:
My cats are getting older and I wil have to find a way to pill cats!!! :eek3: But that's for another thread! :laugh2:

Yes, My cat's worse than the dog, She's 16, takes wormer every 3 months *touches wood thats all she needs*, I need to be geared up in chain mail, oh boy, her claws and teeth, they are razor sharp!!

I remember when she was just 4 years old, she had an cancerous lump removed from her neck, I had to give her special pills (think it might be chemo or radio, can't remember) I had to wear 3 medical gloves on to handle her tablets (and cleaning her litter tray/putting soiled litter in yellow hazard bag), as she often caught the first layer of glove and by the time I am finished the gloves are almost in shreads! She was given 10% to survive this cancer, 12 years on, Still are in best of health, she is a damn one lucky cat.

They also make pill cutters that slice the pills in half. You can probably find them in any drug store. Then the pill halves are smaller and will hide easier.

My dog is very food oriented and will take food without question! If he finds the meds and spits them out, he's relatively easy to pill. My cats are getting older and I wil have to find a way to pill cats!!! :eek3: But that's for another thread! :laugh2:

I would use a big bath towel to wrapped my cat up then hold him down with one hand and use my other hand to put the pill in his mouth ! You have to be really fast and made sure you have the front paws wrapped up tight! My cat would be calling me all kind dirty names!

I remmy my Tinyboy who is pomeranian and he lovesssssssssssssss cheese. When it was time for medication. He knew there one in there but didnt care for it cuz all he want was cheese. LOL He just gulped it down fast. LOL Find his favorite food and use it.

As for a cat best to wrap with bath towel and that what I did with my cat when I tried to clean out her ears. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr earmite. One more thing after the cat is wrap with towel be sure to sit on top of the cat not to hurt them but to sit so the cat have no control to move much. It help.

I use a cheese slice. The slice has to be big enough so that the dog doesn't eat the cheese and reject the pill. lol

I got some slice cheese and put the pill in it, my dog gulp it all down pill too!
I was worried he would spit the pill out! LOL!!

Yes, My cat's worse than the dog, She's 16, takes wormer every 3 months *touches wood thats all she needs*, I need to be geared up in chain mail, oh boy, her claws and teeth, they are razor sharp!!

I remember when she was just 4 years old, she had an cancerous lump removed from her neck, I had to give her special pills (think it might be chemo or radio, can't remember) I had to wear 3 medical gloves on to handle her tablets (and cleaning her litter tray/putting soiled litter in yellow hazard bag), as she often caught the first layer of glove and by the time I am finished the gloves are almost in shreads! She was given 10% to survive this cancer, 12 years on, Still are in best of health, she is a damn one lucky cat.

Wow 16 years is old for a cat! I use to give my cats yeast tablets and they loved it. One cat got into the box of tablets and ate a few of them. i would told it help keep my cats from getting fleas, I think it worked as they never had fleas,

She's old cat but doesn't act/look it!! she must have had lease of new life after the cancer. Damn lucky moggy! She's a little PITA but I love her dearly. She was given to me for my 17th Birthday and I am now 33! Hope she stay round for my 40th!! Wishful thinking. My previous cat died when she was 21!!! she never been to vet in her life time, the first time she went to vet was the last time! She had to have Vacc to go into cattery as we were going on holiday and at the time we JUST moved and didn't want to ask our new neighbour to look after a very old cat (We never put our cats in cattery/dogs in kennels but this was one off). When time came to put her in Cattery, We went on holiday. Came home and I had to go straight back to boarding school and I never saw Pepper again. She died while we were on holiday. She went to sleep on the cattery lady's lap and passed away in her sleep. Least she was a very happy cat. All of our 5 cats died when they are very old and one of the cat was poisoned when she was 5 or something (i was very young at the time) and another were put down at 16 as his liver was mestizating fast with small tumours and the liver were on the verge of failure so we had him put out of misery, he was a very grumpy massive cat!!

I didn't know yeast prevents fleas, no wonder Misty loves Marmite!!! and rarely get fleas, we live near farm/high cat pouplated area so I treat her every 3 months to be on safe side. The dog is white and it's easy to spot fleas so he hasn't got one yet *touches wood* and doesn't have treatment at the moment. I don't like putting chemicals on them. He will have to have them done soon as we are going abroad and it's a must, he'll be allowed back in UK without quaratine if he had all the injections/treatment and stamped/signed by the vet.

Crash pill and mixing with chicken or beef baby food!

Good luck

She's old cat but doesn't act/look it!! she must have had lease of new life after the cancer. Damn lucky moggy! She's a little PITA but I love her dearly. She was given to me for my 17th Birthday and I am now 33! Hope she stay round for my 40th!! Wishful thinking. My previous cat died when she was 21!!! she never been to vet in her life time, the first time she went to vet was the last time! She had to have Vacc to go into cattery as we were going on holiday and at the time we JUST moved and didn't want to ask our new neighbour to look after a very old cat (We never put our cats in cattery/dogs in kennels but this was one off). When time came to put her in Cattery, We went on holiday. Came home and I had to go straight back to boarding school and I never saw Pepper again. She died while we were on holiday. She went to sleep on the cattery lady's lap and passed away in her sleep. Least she was a very happy cat. All of our 5 cats died when they are very old and one of the cat was poisoned when she was 5 or something (i was very young at the time) and another were put down at 16 as his liver was mestizating fast with small tumours and the liver were on the verge of failure so we had him put out of misery, he was a very grumpy massive cat!!

I didn't know yeast prevents fleas, no wonder Misty loves Marmite!!! and rarely get fleas, we live near farm/high cat pouplated area so I treat her every 3 months to be on safe side. The dog is white and it's easy to spot fleas so he hasn't got one yet *touches wood* and doesn't have treatment at the moment. I don't like putting chemicals on them. He will have to have them done soon as we are going abroad and it's a must, he'll be allowed back in UK without quaratine if he had all the injections/treatment and stamped/signed by the vet.

You're so lucky to have cats for pets! I wish my condo would allow us to have cats! It would help keep the mice away! My dog is black and it is really hard to find ticks on plus is has thick fur.

This thread reminded me of something I was sent by email a few months back:

How to give a cat a pill:

• Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
  • Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
  • Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.
  • Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
  • Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden for help.
  • Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.
  • Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
  • Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.
  • Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
  • Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
  • Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
  • Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.
  • Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
  • Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
  • Arrange for SPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How to give a dog a pill:

• Wrap it in bacon.
  • Throw it in the air.

Now, to be serious, PatsCats, I have a 2 cats on meds right now. One loves food so it isn't hard to just crush the pill or disguise it with a piece of turkey or whatever. The other one, however, can detect a tiny fragment of a pill in 50 lbs of tuna fish. Can't get anything over on him, that's for sure, so I have to take more extreme measures. And, to make matters worse, he happens to weigh close to 20lbs (all muscle) and is EXTREMELY strong..

I use a towel, the pill, and a plastic syringe that I fill with about a teaspoon of water. Towel cat so that his arms and legs are bound and he can't move them - very helpful if you have someone to hold him for you - squeeze the sides of his back jaw to get him to open up - or, as is the case with my cat, just pry the mouth open with your fingers. Then, working very quickly, get that pill in his mouth - as far back as possible, preferably in his throat, and follow with a quick squirt of water to force him to swallow while you firmly hold his mouth SHUT. I found that without the squirt of water, my stubborn kitty would just let me hold him there, stroking his throat, for hours without swallowing that pill...now you don't want to use too much water, you don't want it going in his lungs or anything, and in truth, I probably only get about a half teaspoon in there at the most. Just enough that he swallows, that is all you need.

The first few times with this, the cat was very angry and stressed and would hide under the bed for the rest of the day. But, I have gotten it down to such a quick process that I am done before he even figures out what is happening. He doesn't even get annoyed anymore.

Good luck!

Let you know that you may all not think of it. Sometime not only dogs can pick up the smell of medicine inside the food. Did you know that when you touch the pills with your fingers, dog pick up the scent right off your fingers, it give a signal that dog know there's pill in it. So, anytime you finish fiddle the pill into the food, wash your hands before you give him/her a med.

Let you know that you may all not think of it. Sometime not only dogs can pick up the smell of medicine inside the food. Did you know that when you touch the pills with your fingers, dog pick up the scent right off your fingers, it give a signal that dog know there's pill in it. So, anytime you finish fiddle the pill into the food, wash your hands before you give him/her a med.

I did not think of that! I been using chesse and it has worked so far, , I have about 19 more days to go in giving my dog pills! Yike!

This thread reminded me of something I was sent by email a few months back:

How to give a cat a pill:

• Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
  • Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
  • Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.
  • Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
  • Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden for help.
  • Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.
  • Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
  • Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.
  • Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
  • Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
  • Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
  • Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.
  • Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
  • Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
  • Arrange for SPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How to give a dog a pill:

• Wrap it in bacon.
  • Throw it in the air.

I use the bath towel with my bad boy cat! It was not easy as he put up a good fight but I got the pill down or ear drops in. I never knew a cat could say so many dirty words!

I did not think of that! I been using chesse and it has worked so far, , I have about 19 more days to go in giving my dog pills! Yike!

With a large Great Dane, I had to use Bazooka to shoot the pills down his throat.

With a large Great Dane, I had to use Bazooka to shoot the pills down his throat.

I would not want to put my hand down a Great Dane mouth to give him a pill!
I really do not like putting my hand in my dog mouth , I am not sure is healthy it is for a my dog. He is feeling better! Finlay played a little tonight, he got tried fast, but it was good to see him being silly again!

I would not want to put my hand down a Great Dane mouth to give him a pill!
I really do not like putting my hand in my dog mouth , I am not sure is healthy it is for a my dog. He is feeling better! Finlay played a little tonight, he got tried fast, but it was good to see him being silly again!

Smile... really, he's a gentle kind of dog.. he's willing to eat anything...

It's good to hear that your dog is feeling better... I have been through all kind of dogs.. this Great Dane I have now... his name is Obie and it's my 4th generation of Geat Dane. He's a funny Marmaduke type of dog. My wife hate him...LOL

Back