Can hearing aids cause ringing/buzzing sounds?

Bottesini... according to the audiogram, I've lost more of my ridual hearing so that could be it too.

Silent Rider... My kids who are hearing have said they don't hear the ringing sounds. The ear mold is new and snugging which is not causing the sounds.

So I guess now the real question is ...Does that mean the hearing aids are maxxed out for me to use and need to get CI in order to hear music and my kids?

Your symptoms sound like recruitment to me.

Help!! Ever since last summer when I was put on meds for high blood pressure, my hearing aid would cause the ringing/buzzing sounds. It could be coincidence but I saw an audiologist and was told there aren't any more analogue hearing aids (which now I know is not true). Anyway, I got a new ear mold and a loaner to try it out. My gosh... it was fine for a week when I have it on low setting. I upped the sound. The ringing/buzzing sounds returned. Few friends of mine was told the hearing aids (both digital and analogue) maxxed out on them and was referred them to get ci which they did and love. I am resisted to getting CI. I love it when I had my analogue hearing aid. So now the question is.... is it possible that hearing aids (both analogue and digital) can cause the ringing/buzzing sounds?

It could be feedback. If the ear mold is fitted right, it's most likely due to wax in the ear. You should have your doctor remove the wax in your ear before you go to take the impression for a new mold. Also, some molds for profound users have to fit just right. If you open your mouth and get feedback, chances are it's a poor fit. Try taking the mold impression with your mouth open, this helped with my mold giving it a tighter fit.

If it is tinnitus loud noises can make it happen to you so the feedback could be causing that as well.

Another thing to consider is if u used an analog hearing aid for a long time and just now trying digital hearing aid you could be waking up parts of the ear that didn't.pick up a certain tone. And takes time to wake up with digital. And from it. New nerves shooting fire works?

Another thing to consider is if u used an analog hearing aid for a long time and just now trying digital hearing aid you could be waking up parts of the ear that didn't.pick up a certain tone. And takes time to wake up with digital. And from it. New nerves shooting fire works?

That makes total sense. Would the new sounds especially when loud, trigger the ringing sounds? I have to keep the setting low otherwise the ringing sounds would begin. I just had the high frequency programmed. We will see how that goes. The auddie said she found a hearing aid that's close to an analog..Oticon Sumo E which is an analog digitally programmedable. Right now the loaner is a Phonax. It's okay. Everything sounds robot-like, not the best sound.

It's more likely the decline of your auditory nerve.

I think this is probably it. I started getting ringing in my right ear as it lost more and more hearing, and I wasn't using a hearing aid in that ear anymore. In my left ear I always use a hearing aid and never had ringing in it.

An interesting visit with the audiologist today.... I asked if at the end the hearing aid does aggravate the tinnitus, would CI help and be an option? She stated that I would not be a good candidate for CI because I was born Deaf and wore hearing aids since I was young. She said CIs work best for those lost their hearing after birth. I thought that was funny because many of my friends who were born Deaf, now have CIs and work fine for them. I am going to get a second opinion on the whole thing.

A couple things here... the deaf before or after birth is not really the issue. The issue is learned speech. If you learned speech at a young age with HA then you may have benefit from CI after HA no longer help you. If you never really learned to hear speech then a CI would be very challenging (for speech but might be an option for other sounds).

Your Audiologist cannot work with you with a CI. He/she will lose you as a customer if you get a CI. Have a discussion with a CI doctor. The Dr will have you work with one of their CI audiologist. They have the training and the equipment to work with CIs and can properly evaluate you for candidacy for a CI.

Bottom line? get a second opinion...

I had months of being told the buzzing noise in my ears couldn't possibly be out of my hearing aids it must be tinnitus. The Siemens rep came and started on me like I was making it up and causing trouble. The audiologist had been way out of her depth doing my fitting and kept insisting that if anything the "M" class hearing aid was too powerful! I finally got to see a new audio who changed me to a Phonak SP and there has been no more dead wasp noise in my ears. He says the aids were underpowered for my needs and the buzz was a kind of feedback. The new aids usually have anti-feedback systems in them, but the feedback has to be turned into something, sometimes it cuts some of the power from the aids to reduce the feedback noise, sometimes it makes a ringing or buzzing or warbling noise. If you have anti-feedback maybe have that turned off, though it might mean you then start to get feedback instead, but you are closer to the source of the problem.

A couple things here... the deaf before or after birth is not really the issue. The issue is learned speech. If you learned speech at a young age with HA then you may have benefit from CI after HA no longer help you. If you never really learned to hear speech then a CI would be very challenging (for speech but might be an option for other sounds).

Your Audiologist cannot work with you with a CI. He/she will lose you as a customer if you get a CI. Have a discussion with a CI doctor. The Dr will have you work with one of their CI audiologist. They have the training and the equipment to work with CIs and can properly evaluate you for candidacy for a CI.

Bottom line? get a second opinion...

I am in the process of getting a second opinion. What you said made alot of sense. I was born deaf but had always heard speech sounds and the high/low frequency sounds. For years, people thought I was hearing and from another country. Ha! :lol: but I'm proud to be :deaf: I am checking everything. I want answers! :naughty:

I had months of being told the buzzing noise in my ears couldn't possibly be out of my hearing aids it must be tinnitus. The Siemens rep came and started on me like I was making it up and causing trouble. The audiologist had been way out of her depth doing my fitting and kept insisting that if anything the "M" class hearing aid was too powerful! I finally got to see a new audio who changed me to a Phonak SP and there has been no more dead wasp noise in my ears. He says the aids were underpowered for my needs and the buzz was a kind of feedback. The new aids usually have anti-feedback systems in them, but the feedback has to be turned into something, sometimes it cuts some of the power from the aids to reduce the feedback noise, sometimes it makes a ringing or buzzing or warbling noise. If you have anti-feedback maybe have that turned off, though it might mean you then start to get feedback instead, but you are closer to the source of the problem.

ummm...interesting... I'll keep that in mind when I see the audio tomorrow for some adjustment to the loaner hearing aid. I just realized I am using the Phonak. My audio thinks the Oticon might be better for me but they don't have a loaner in that brand. I rather try it with a loaner before purchasing an hearing aid and later to find that it doesn't work.

I am in the process of getting a second opinion. What you said made alot of sense. I was born deaf but had always heard speech sounds and the high/low frequency sounds. For years, people thought I was hearing and from another country. Ha! :lol: but I'm proud to be :deaf: I am checking everything. I want answers! :naughty:

I'm not much different from you. I lost my hearing at 3 or 4 so I already developed speech skills, then had HAs until recently. I lost all of my hearing and got a CI.

I know with mine that some people can hear this buzzing sound sometimes it's like a whizzing sound. I rarely ever hear it. When I had these beige moulds it happened all the time now that I have these clear moulds it's fine unless I'm taking them out and my hearing aids are turned on I hear it. I really don't mind it and I'm only HOH so I won't need a CI and would never want one.I'm pretty contempt with wearing hearing aids. I've had Highblood pressure for as long as I can remember. I've never had ringing in my ears since I've had hearing aids.

My experience is that some HA wearers turn the volume up beyond what is necessary.
This causes the buzzing. Try to always adjust your aids to a personal setting in a quiet room while talking normally to yourself.

Hi beachie! You said very well. But in my opinion Tinnitus hearing aids can solve your ringing/buzzing sounds problem. Thanks!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

MichellePasinat said:
Hi beachie! You said very well. But in my opinion Tinnitus hearing aids can solve your ringing/buzzing sounds problem. Thanks!

Are you talking about tinnitus maskers? Typically these aren't actually HAs at all (no amplification, or very very little)

They can help mask Tinnitus, by introducing additional white/pink noise.

However the "masking" also makes it very difficult to understand sounds including speech for those who need amplification, meaning hearing aids, not just "maskers".

My experience is that some HA wearers turn the volume up beyond what is necessary.
This causes the buzzing. Try to always adjust your aids to a personal setting in a quiet room while talking normally to yourself.

Although I have tinnitus as well, it is true that if I turn my digitals' volumes up too high, I get the feedback noise on top of it. My tinnitis varies, in what it sounds like, from buzzing to chirping to other sounds, sometimes loud, sometimes soft. Sometimes so loud I want to bang my head against the wall! :| Sometimes I don't notice it at all. However, I can't hear the feedback squeal when my volume is too high or I need new molds, etc. But my husband tells me when that happens. :lol: I have found that sometimes I still make the same mistake fully hearing people do when finding out I am HOH -- they talk 'way too loud at me. :dizzy: Which of course only distorts the sounds and makes it harder for me to understand. I do the same to myself when I am frustrated trying to *understand* and if I just slow down, breathe slow & deep for a bit, then adjust the volume again, to a more medium setting, I find I am getting much more understanding at a lower volume, my aids aren't feedbacking at me (or I should say other people, as I don't hear it :P). I get out of my own way, so to speak, and calm down from being upset at the struggle to understand. And then I seem to understand more. If that makes any sense? :hmm:

Back