Are there any clerical jobs without answering phone?

Owlnessa

Reaction score
Hi. I'm in my early 20s and wear hearing aids. I also talk and read lips very well. It has been an hard four years for me. I like computers and my typing speed is 70wpm. I'd like to go back to school or take some courses. But I tried talking to a disability counsellor who couldn't give me any answers about jobs without answering phones. I do not use the telephone because it never sounds clear to me and sounds robotic too. I do text, email and facetime. I was interested in health unit clerk but I'm 80% sure that they need to answer phones which is a problem. Maybe you guys can tell me if there's any clerical jobs where you don't need to answer the phone! Would be helpful, thank you :)

Hi. I'm in my early 20s and wear hearing aids. I also talk and read lips very well. It has been an hard four years for me. I like computers and my typing speed is 70wpm. I'd like to go back to school or take some courses. But I tried talking to a disability counsellor who couldn't give me any answers about jobs without answering phones. I do not use the telephone because it never sounds clear to me and sounds robotic too. I do text, email and facetime. I was interested in health unit clerk but I'm 80% sure that they need to answer phones which is a problem. Maybe you guys can tell me if there's any clerical jobs where you don't need to answer the phone! Would be helpful, thank you :)

Yes there are but you have to hunt them down. I am a technician and use email and SMS. My boss accepted the lack of phone use when I was taken on.

Do you know what type of positions they are? What kind of tech are you? Well you're lucky :dunno2: cause it's always a problem that I don't use the telephone so I never get hired!
Frustrating ...

I am wondering what your audiogram looks like. Maybe you can resolve that problem. If you have a t-coil in your HA's, do you use it? Audis are notorious for not educating their clients. You could also check with a temporary help agency-- sometimes they have jobs like culling files, filing papers, things like that.

Try any kind of hospital offices, and any kind of government job that you can find a clerk position. That is all i can think of. I suggest you to go back to school because today they are looking for AA degrees and BA or BS for clerk positions!

I work for the local newspaper. No phone (although desired), but we've been able to make it work. Most of the time my communication is done via email anyway. I do strictly typing jobs (public records, calendars) for the newspaper.

There are special phones for the deaf/hoh available, Captel or CaptionCall so your calls will be captioned.

Owlnessa,

I wear 2 hearing aids also. I have to take off a hearing aid to use a standard telephone.

Years ago,I worked as a real estate agent. One of the ladies in the office was 80ish and quite deaf. She had an amplified handset with a volume control that could be clicked and unclicked to and from the office phones.

There are a number of threads on this forum about captioned telephones such as CapTel@ and CaptionCall@. One can purchase them at a discounted price ($99 for CapTel;valued at $600) or even free,if one's income qualifies.

I acquired a CapTel 1 1/2 years ago from VA's Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Center. It was free! The sizes,background,correction color,and text
colors of the captions are customizable. I like black background with yellow
letters and corrections in a light blue. (Cyan?) I made a good investment!

Some people get pissed off having to dial a routing number 1st for me to see captions on incoming but that's their problem,not mine. My outgoing calls caption by default.

Hope you find what you need.

P.S.-Found out about CapTel at a powwow. There was a rep from VA's Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Center there.

Yes, there are many clerical type jobs that don't require calls.

Bookkeeping, accounts payable, etc are some that require very little or no outside communication.

I was looking into a carreer change with Sanford Brown business college, they suggested to me Polysomnography ( study of sleep disorders ) as they are in demand, work nights and very little communication on phones in which they can accommodate for that ... so there are some medical fields that pay well and are also deaf friendly, since you basically just monitor the screens.

Yes, there are many clerical type jobs that don't require calls.

Bookkeeping, accounts payable, etc are some that require very little or no outside communication.

There should be but . . . unless things have changed since the mid 1990's don't count on it especially if you are in a small town.

At that time I was put on a salary continuation plan by the small company where I had been a virtually full charge bookkeeper for about 34 years as they were downsizing and generally reorganizing. I wanted to supplement that with either full or part time work. Most places here are fairly small but even those with 3 or 4 people in the office and me willing to do anything in addition to the books except answer income voice phone calls all interest, which seemed high until then, disappeared the moment I told them I could not answer incoming voice phone calls. (I had taken my personal TTY along to work for the very few calls that I had to make out at my previous job; using it with VCO and the State Relay Service.) I forget who made the comment at the time that I would have had better luck if I had been in a big city.

Back