Ants eating cat's food

ClearSky

Reaction score
Anyone know how to stop ants from coming to my cat's food? I put my cat's blow in a larger bowl with water, but it gets so nasty when food gets in the water. Any better idea?

Anyone know how to stop ants from coming to my cat's food? I put my cat's blow in a larger bowl with water, but it gets so nasty when food gets in the water. Any better idea?

Just need buy spray to kill ants.

if you can, draw on ground around the food bowl with a thick outline of chalk. For some reasons, ants don't cross chalk. (Not in my experience anyhow)

Where you put cat foods to? Outdoor or Indoor?

Sprinkle baking powders a lot on area where the ants always come to... they took bake powders back to place where they feed their families then they are not back...

I fed ants with baking powders and they came less and less to 3 days, no more ants.

If it's dry cat food, it shouldn't be a problem.

If it's wet cat food, then you should only feed the cat when the cat is hungry.

If it's outside, maybe it's time to bring it inside?

If it's inside, maybe it's time to call an exterminator?

Try corn meal and sprinkle where the ants are. (they will eat but cannot digest and can die from it) I will do the same if I do see any ant in my kitchen! I heard that lavender does the trick also because bugs don't like that smell. :dunno: I have no idea about the chalk...but can try though!

Try corn meal and sprinkle where the ants are. (they will eat but cannot digest and can die from it) I will do the same if I do see any ant in my kitchen! I heard that lavender does the trick also because bugs don't like that smell. :dunno: I have no idea about the chalk...but can try though!

I am lavendar lover... I have plenty of lavendars in my garden... Yes it's correct that the bugs don't like lavendars but it doesn't affect ants...

Ahhh thanks for the head up! :thumb: Dang at the ants!!!! I always wanted a lavender in my front yard. So I am gonna find a seeds and plant them.

So we sure need to figure out how to shoo at darn ants! LOL!

I did the baking powders and seemed not work for me. :( maybe I didn't put enough? :dunno:

I am lavendar lover... I have plenty of lavendars in my garden... Yes it's correct that the bugs don't like lavendars but it doesn't affect ants...

Me too, I love to smell lavendar. I sprayed the lavendar on my matress and sheets and pillow cases after i washed them to rid of fleas. My two cats always sleep on the bed with me every night. I am going to clean everything in my bedroom to do project to choice the color of painting then get new bed spread and curtains. I will spray lavendar everything to rid of the ants.

Ants have not come in my place yet. The weather has been coming back cold again.

I feed the cat wet food on paper plates until they eat them. I threw the paper plates into the trash to prevent ants clawing into the place.

Where you put cat foods to? Outdoor or Indoor?

Sprinkle baking powders a lot on area where the ants always come to... they took bake powders back to place where they feed their families then they are not back...

I fed ants with baking powders and they came less and less to 3 days, no more ants.

*hmmmm* Brilliant idea.. old fashioned way.. will works?

Let me try that..
I'm tired of kitchen and basement because of tons ants came here and swarming... I was spraying and but kept them coming back.. *mumbling*
I'll take Liebling's word.. I'll have that...
Will fill you in update when it's works perfectally!

Let me try that..
I'm tired of kitchen and basement because of tons ants came here and swarming... I was spraying and but kept them coming back.. *mumbling*

Same here :mumbling: :pissed: ...

I don't know about baking powder, I don't want to see a mess on my kitchen floor :tears:

Ahhh thanks for the head up! :thumb: Dang at the ants!!!! I always wanted a lavender in my front yard. So I am gonna find a seeds and plant them.

So we sure need to figure out how to shoo at darn ants! LOL!

I did the baking powders and seemed not work for me. :( maybe I didn't put enough? :dunno:

I sprinkled plenty of baking powder (3 packets of 15g (3 teaspoon) baking powders to the area where ants are around. I do it outdoor... I don´t have ants in my house for years but outside *knock on wood*

If you want to plant or seed the lavendars.. I would recommend you to plant lavendar near flowers or roses because it against bugs to eat flower´s leaves. Plant lavendars against ants doesn´t work but bugs only.

Let me try that..

Thanks to Great Grandma of my MIL. I learn from her..... I do that for almost 21 years now.

If outdoor, sprinkled plenty of baking powders on area where the ants are around... Let ants carry powders to feed their families and kill them... less to 3 days, no more ants... then one year later again... do baking powders.... 2 to 3 days later no more ... then again next year... it´s normal...

But indoor? :dunno: Try it but make sure that plenty of baking powders.

Same here :mumbling: :pissed: ...

I don't know about baking powder, I don't want to see a mess on my kitchen floor :tears:

Yeah I know what you mean. I really has no experience to have ants in my house but outdoor.. I really has no idea either it also help indoor as well...

im suggestion about must getting bug spray they wont eat cat or dog's foods.

my mom always getting bug spray because they got few ants or roach in the kitchen so i dont like that and my mom plans to get bug spray and killed ants,roach,etc at your home.you should must get bug spray.

mostly people always hates ants and roach at homes they called pro for bug spray you must!

Back in Florida where I used to live at my first house there, always had problem with ants and roaches. For outside, I used Round Up (from lawn/garden dept) and sprayed where there was cement cracks, sides of driveway/sidewalk. Also Round Up can be used to kill weeds too! For indoor, I also used baking powder into caps from milk carton and put caps in every corners where we can't see those. Then replaced baking powder every three months cuz it's Florida all year round. It was strange cuz when I brought another house and I have no problem with ants/roaches there. Usually depend on the area where you live. Heard the rouches usually came from palm trees or too many trees on the property. Not sure if that's true. It seems true to me tho.

My cat's an indoor cat, and I feed him dry food. I read a cat book about this special bowl that's ant proof. I wonder if I can find it online. I'll try the baking powder, and I read that tansy-some herbal thing also works to keep ants away while it's also not harmful for cats either. They have gotten to mom's bathroom this year. I never had problems with ants in the area I live. Grrr! Our home is not old, but cracks do develop. I think they're too tiny to see.

This works

Put down a water-proof shallow container (like a cookie sheet or plastic serving tray with a lip) The container should be slightly wider & longer then the cat food bowl. Fill the container with water. It doesn't have to be too deep. Place food bowl on water filled container. Ants can't get across the water....(they aren't as smart as ants in Africa that make a bridge by linking their bodies). No poisons or insecticides. No herbal essential oils or aromatics...which by the way most ARE poisonous to cats. (do the research) Even when inhaled over time EO affects their liver.....anyway....ant problem easily and safely solved. Just remember to clean out the container periodically and add fresh water.

Back