How do you say in sign language?

PurrMeow

Reaction score
I hope I put in the right one!

How do you say in sign language ""thirsty"?

I am bit confused with two words that are almost silimar such as thristy and horny? How come they are similiar?

PurrMeow, yes, they are similar; there are many signs that are similar but when we are talking (signing) we know from the subject matter which word we mean. There are also more than one sign for some words. Horny has more than one sign but the sign you are asking about here is the same as thirsty, yes.....hope this helps.

thats wierd cuz here in can, we sign thirsty with the index finger going down your neck. and horney is a bent 3 claw with both hands on your uper chest...not simalar here...lol :dunno:

Use the sign number 1 then run your finger the entire length of your throat downwards to say " thristy "

Heath said:
Use the sign number 1 then run your finger the entire length of your throat downwards to say " thristy "

The originator already knows this!

The facial expression and the way the sign is made is also important.

In my local area, we don't use the THIRSTY sign for "horny". Sexually oriented signs are very often regional. But most people can figure out the meaning from the context and expression used.

Thirsty and Horny doesn't appear to be similar in my opinon. "Thirsty" is taken place on your neck while "horny" takes place on your head. There are many variations of "horny" (like jamielee here- I never hear/see that sign with bent three-fingers claw!)

Unless your sign for "horny" looks like an open-B and pat it on your neck as if to check for fever? I have seen that but I always thought that sign means "I got the hots."

For thirsty, I use my pointer finger running down the front of my neck.

For horny, I use a "D" and push it against my forehead...

There's a difference to me in the sign, but like others have said... In context you'll know and also regional signs differentiate.

gnarlydorkette said:
Thirsty and Horny doesn't appear to be similar in my opinon. "Thirsty" is taken place on your neck while "horny" takes place on your head. There are many variations of "horny" (like jamielee here- I never hear/see that sign with bent three-fingers claw!)

Unless your sign for "horny" looks like an open-B and pat it on your neck as if to check for fever? I have seen that but I always thought that sign means "I got the hots."

Thirsty and horny/ lust(y) are similiar except the number of movement.
Thirsty - handshape:1 move down on throat 1x
horny - handshape:1 move down on throat several time (depends on the range of the horniness) with mouth movement :clenched teeth or tongue hanging out of mouth.

Same thing for HUNGRY and HORNY/PASSIONATE/LUST(Y)
for hungry - do once for horny/passionate / lust(y) repetive movement depending on the range of horniness

Also I want to mention that sign "thirsty" has another meaning if you sign
CIGARETTE THIRST WOW means you are craving/yearning for cigarette

Ah, I'm going to put my ASL Linguistic mind to rest and go to bed now.

she is right

jamielee said:
thats wierd cuz here in can, we sign thirsty with the index finger going down your neck. and horney is a bent 3 claw with both hands on your uper chest...not simalar here...lol :dunno:

Hi everyone,

I am proudly deaf, I aware know in ASL.

We sign thirsty with the index finger going down your neck. She is right. In ASL for thirsty in Canada and USA both are the same.

horney is a bent 3 claw with both hands on your uper chest that use sign for Canada only! She is right.

I know in america 's ASL horney use number one on the head where is near forehead move to up.

Canada and USA in ASL for Horney are diffrent sign however we repectful each others for that.

Jamie is just learning more asl but she does not know about ASL in America. I could teach her more. for sure she will gain more ASl between in Canada and USA.

HTH

Duncan

Sign language issues

I am currently teaching my fiance sign language and I have read that there are 3 ways to sign thristy....Well, that is what I was taught

1) The index 1x down the throat
2) the whole hand pulling on the throat a little
3) The index and thumb pulling off the throat as an indication that the throat is in need of water or something

Hey...if these are wrong is was the way I was taught, I just go by them

Is that safe to do or no?? :(

Deaflinuxgeek :deaf:

deaflinuxgeek said:
I am currently teaching my fiance sign language and I have read that there are 3 ways to sign thristy....Well, that is what I was taught

1) The index 1x down the throat
2) the whole hand pulling on the throat a little
3) The index and thumb pulling off the throat as an indication that the throat is in need of water or something

Hey...if these are wrong is was the way I was taught, I just go by them

Is that safe to do or no?? :(

Deaflinuxgeek :deaf:
From your description, #2 seems more like "hungry" than "thirsty", and #3 seems more like "sore throat".

"Hungry" can also be used for "lustful", depending on the context and expression used.

EyesBlueDeaf said:
Thirsty and horny/ lust(y) are similiar except the number of movement.
Thirsty - handshape:1 move down on throat 1x
horny - handshape:1 move down on throat several time (depends on the range of the horniness) with mouth movement :clenched teeth or tongue hanging out of mouth.

Same thing for HUNGRY and HORNY/PASSIONATE/LUST(Y)
for hungry - do once for horny/passionate / lust(y) repetive movement depending on the range of horniness

Also I want to mention that sign "thirsty" has another meaning if you sign
CIGARETTE THIRST WOW means you are craving/yearning for cigarette

Ah, I'm going to put my ASL Linguistic mind to rest and go to bed now.

LOLLLL thanks for well information!! heh sleep well!

Back