Just wondering, what is the suitable jobs for deaf hearing impaired??

funny_guy

Reaction score
Hi deaf guys, and normal hearing people as well.

I know this has been long time I didn't get very active in Net, but I'm wondering if there are anyone would mind to share the truth or suggestions about the right jobs for the deaf that does not rely too much on communication.

I'm Asian, currently second year as undergraduate student in Multimedia program. I'd thought doing Multimedia would be fine as it may doesn't involve too much communication with people but I'm not sure though. I've realised that communicating with normal people or people who really prefer fast talks is becoming the concern, and even using English is quite difficult (It's my second language)

So if anyone have worked in jobs can you please kindly share your thoughts?

Moved to Our World, Our Culture
Moderator naisho

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at a hospital and it sucks since I am hoh :( Hospitals are not for hoh/deaf.

Well. I am wondering the same question, I am just doing up my resume this week and will go find some part time work to help supplement my income. I think I will go back to the field of working for the mentally handicapped, people within this field seem to be adaptable to my needs. I am hoping to do just a few hours a week, perhaps doing respite for medically fragile and mentally handicapped infants or something like this. I used to be a manager for a group home and have also done proprietary care - that is where a severely handicapped person lived with me and my family. Good luck to you in your job search!

Funny guy, Question for you. Are Deaf people normal? You said "Normal hearing people"

Sorry off point!!

redheadgrrl, in response to your question: I'm deaf hearing impaired.

anyway thanks guys for sharing!

Jobs

There is no right or wrong job for people... Its what you fit into, and if you love your job thats all the more better.
You might be great at multimedia projects, but lack communication skills... Hire an agent. they make the contracts and you and the customer both agree to the project and timeline... as long as the project is done, as written, the contract is ful-filled.
If the client wants to fix, correct, change something, they must tell you in writing... if its written and both people agree to it, there is much less mis-communications. The customer is less likely to say... "well what about..." because all YOU say (or write) is "Well you didnt ask for that when we agreed to the contract. If you want i can do it now for $$$"
The agent gets a precent of the job...
Some people immerse themselves in programing jobs, webmaster stuff...
take a few steps back, and ask yourself, what do you LOVE to do, and how can it make you money?

Im a hearing, Radio/Media Engineer... (Some areas call it a host, or a presenter, but i also do the technical aspects) I play with video games, (stand up arcade/DDR machines) cause i love to solve problems - why isnt it working? Soo i get paid for doing something i like, and the arcades is a hobby...

-Paulie

Well

Well I know that with companies like west at home they have jobs where people do live chat for instance when you go to a site that has chat with live support. companies hire people from west at home and other site that have work at home. but that is still communicating with people but if you can type it may work... otherwise dun no!!! good luck

If you want a job with less relying on communication then work at a factory, or housekeeping department, or be a stock person, or work at a warehouse. There's many jobs you could search with less communication on the job. ;)

I know this has been long time I didn't get very active in Net, but I'm wondering if there are anyone would mind to share the truth or suggestions about the right jobs for the deaf that does not rely too much on communication.

I'm Asian, currently second year as undergraduate student in Multimedia program. I'd thought doing Multimedia would be fine as it may doesn't involve too much communication with people but I'm not sure though. I've realised that communicating with normal people or people who really prefer fast talks is becoming the concern, and even using English is quite difficult (It's my second language)

Multimedia would be fine for a deaf person. In the cases where communication with non-signing hearies is mandatory, simply request that your employer provide you with a terp, or if you have difficulty using a terp, use other accommodations such as text communication.

I used to work as a Keypunch operator and Verifier long time ago. Now we have computer and I want to work in the office just do the typing like being a office clerk. It take time to find a job like that without communication and don't need phone. I just want to work as a typist so that should pay well for me. I might be old but never too late to work again. I hope you find the job you really like and not have to worry about communicating with hearing workers too much otherwise you need to write down on pad to communicate with hearing workers. Good luck. :wave:

My older sister, deaf since birth, retired after 25 years as a keypunch then computer operator for Wells Fargo in San Francisco.

I could make do with hearing aids most of the 25 years I taught high school and college, but during the last years at MSU-Northern, I taught only in computer classrooms.

For a few years after going totally deaf, I worked as a beekeeper in Montana, but could only drive commercial vehicles within a hundred-mile radius.

The apiary owner transferred me to Oregon where I can operate commercial vehicles anywhere in Oregon by special agriculture permit, but when driving in California, I'm limited to driving smaller "non-commercial" vehicles.

Multimedia can be good. You can always send emails to your co-workers but be aware that some co-workers might not answer your emails right away. The problem is the meetings. If the meeting is less than 2 hours, they might not want to hire an interpreter. The organization that send out interpreter has a policy of two or more hours and if it is less than the two hours, then the pay is for two full hours. If I was a company, I won't want to pay two hours for a meeting that is half hour or an hour but I really do feel between a rock and a hard place when it comes to meetings. Maybe your local organization have different policy than mine.

Best of luck in finding a dream job.

I work at a hospital and it sucks since I am hoh :( Hospitals are not for hoh/deaf.

Can you tell me why? I am a professional in a health care setting so am curious to know why you feel that hospitals are not for hard of hearing and deaf.

Check out Viable company. It is a new company targeted to serve Deaf and HOH people and they have a location in Rockville, MD. They have 5 or so job openings.

Viable.net Homepage

I am going to inquire about a summer job there. They just opened a new headquarters in Baltimore, according to the grapevine in the Deaf community.

Hi FunnyFella :)

Well, I think if you are passionate about multimedia, then you should pursue your dream. Don't give up your chosen field yet.

I think all professional jobs have some form of communication. However, I think that if you have talent in the multimedia, then a prospective employer will likely hire you regardless of hearing impairment. I guess it depends who you work for, and what your duties involves - like all jobs.

Someone mentioned that perhaps you should work in a factory or warehouse, which is fine. Except, you probably will not feel happy working in an area that you do not enjoy.

If I were in your situation, I would continue studies in multimedia. Incidentally, I almost enrolled for a multimedia course two years ago, except I chose to study business, which involves too much communication..:)

Good luck! :)

Back