The Last Stand for the Deaf in California

I prefer deaf children be happy and thriving than suffering for the sake of saving taxpayers' dollars.

:gpost: :gpost:

That is what is the most important thing for deaf children is to be happy, not to suffer in the mainstream school without ASL or any of the accommodation like I did back in the old days. I don't want to have them go through like I have been going through in both elementary and high school. It sure is hell. I was not happy back then. So right on the button, Shel. :hug:

I agree. I think that money is a BS reason to deny services for deaf kids (ASL or oral).

So now you understand why it is important for deaf children to have ASL even if they are learning to use spoken language. Not oral-only. That is why the government want to try to cut down on the cost of needed service for the deaf children which is very very important so that we can use visual better than for the deaf children to suffer trying to understand what the teachers and students said in the classroom settings. Also for the brochure, I don't want the government to paint the picture thinking the CI is sooo wonderful for the deaf child to hear clearly and all that bullshit for babies or very young children like toddlers. The children need a voice to tell us if they want to have CI or not, not force them to use CI without the permission of the child. They have a right to their bodies, not the parents. I would not like to be force, if I was a baby, like that which is terrible. There is nothing wrong with being deaf which I have repeat many times over. Good grief. :roll:

So now you understand why it is important for deaf children to have ASL even if they are learning to use spoken language. Not oral-only. That is why the government want to try to cut down on the cost of needed service for the deaf children which is very very important so that we can use visual better than for the deaf children to suffer trying to understand what the teachers and students said in the classroom settings. Also for the brochure, I don't want the government to paint the picture thinking the CI is sooo wonderful for the deaf child to hear clearly and all that bullshit for babies or very young children like toddlers. The children need a voice to tell us if they want to have CI or not, not force them to use CI without the permission of the child. They have a right to their bodies, not the parents. I would not like to be force, if I was a baby, like that which is terrible. There is nothing wrong with being deaf which I have repeat many times over. Good grief. :roll:

I disagree with 99% of this post.

I do agree that it is crap that kids (or adults) are being denied the services (interpreters OR CI's) because of the greediness of a few (lawmakers, businesses or insurance companies).

I disagree with 99% of this post.

I do agree that it is crap that kids (or adults) are being denied the services (interpreters OR CI's) because of the greediness of a few (lawmakers, businesses or insurance companies).

I have been reading some on this lately and I agree with FJ in disagreeing with BB's post

Yeah, same here....hope it is not misunderstood, tho.

Gosh at this article and thanks to medical care lobbyists that push this bill to be passed. :roll:

I'm glad that I don't live in CA anymore.

On the other hand, those CA people who opposed the bill got a lot more from the bill in the end than if they hadn't done anything. And their work is still not done.

DHHS says school may have to close | morganton.com

"The per-pupil cost for residential students at NCSD went from $57,148 in 2001 to $91,094 in 2009. For students who attend NCSD's classes, but don't live at the school, the per-pupil cost is $66,000.

Schools in North Carolina spend, on average, $8,522 per pupil per year. No district has a higher per-pupil cost than the $16,273."

That is a difference of close to $80,000 PER YEAR.

"The per-pupil cost for residential students at NCSD went from $57,148 in 2001 to $91,094 in 2009. For students who attend NCSD's classes, but don't live at the school, the per-pupil cost is $66,000.

Schools in North Carolina spend, on average, $8,522 per pupil per year. No district has a higher per-pupil cost than the $16,273."

Times 10 (say from 2nd grade to 12th) would be $800,000 per student to get him or her graduated at possibly at a 4th grade comprehension level, too.

Dollars spent per pupil at my local school is $7077

JEAN MASSIEU ACADEMY (ARLINGTON, TX) Detailed School Profile, Performance Statistics, Teacher and Student Info, Test Results

Trying to understand the point here....so it is 7K for normal hearing students and 80K for deaf students. Now what?

Not forget about hearing school, interpreter and special education in combined are not cheap as well. Full-time interpreter that where I was in 12th grade cost $58,000 per year, along with cost of support from special education and regular classes in combined.

Not everyone is successful in oral language like I'm one of them and I had been in speech therapy for 10 years but won't work and put me into ASL training at public school to become full ASL. My parent told me that they paid alot of out of pocket, copay and cost of speech therapy + have programmable for CI at audiologist office in past before I stopped attend at speech therapy in last 10 years ago and gave up to wear CI in 1 year later.

Trying to understand the point here....so it is 7K for normal hearing students and 80K for deaf students. Now what?

I'm trying to point out that it is not cheaper for a student to learn and use ASL vs getting an implant. (Since the OP was all about money and the cost of CI's)

I'm trying to point out that it is not cheaper for a student to learn and use ASL vs getting an implant. (Since the OP was all about money and the cost of CI's)

I see now and I agree except you maybe want to say "being educated, etc in a deaf program" or something similar instead of "learn and use ASL". Deaf kids, in the environment learn ASL by osmosis, :lol:

I see now and I agree except you maybe want to say "being educated, etc in a deaf program" or something similar instead of "learn and use ASL". Deaf kids, in the environment learn ASL by osmosis, :lol:

You are right, a better phrasing would be "attend a deaf program", but if they were ASL users, and in the mainstream, there would be extra cost as well. (Plus, people always talk about the "long term cost of CI's"- batteries, cables, etc. There is also a "long term cost" of ASL interpreters, vrs, etc)

Back