ASL videos on YouTube

KristinaB

Emotional Mess
Premium Member
Reaction score
It has been suggested that I watch some videos of people using ASL on YouTube. My problem is that I can't always follow it and was wondering 2 things.

1) Is there any specific person who does better than others? I want to make sure it is clear and not going 100 MPH you know?

2) Since I don't know all the signs, would it be better if I found any that had the captioning? Has anyone found many like that?

I really am trying and the kid DVD's (Signing Time and others) at the library just aren't doing it for me. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I already know it would be better to get out into the deaf community, but with the exception of a daytime Tuesday social (MIL is scheduling all appointments on Tuesday).

Hmm... I'll help you with that. I think I know a few users do provide either CC or subtitle. Let me look.

Would it not be better to skype with someone from here? There is always a lot of responses in the buddy thread.

It seems it is kind of hard to find some users always will to put CC or subtitle on... I only know one person and nothing else. :( But I hope somebody will help you with that.

Would it not be better to skype with someone from here? There is always a lot of responses in the buddy thread.

Seems that when I am available for Skype, the people on my list are not and others have not accepted me.

I have Skype, ooVoo, and P3 from Purple as well as Google talk, MSN IM and AIM.

Seems that when I am available for Skype, the people on my list are not and others have not accepted me.

I have Skype, ooVoo, and P3 from Purple as well as Google talk, MSN IM and AIM.

Fair enough, I found it much better to have someone who can sign new words rather than just read the same ones. Videos are are good next best idea though :)

Be careful of YouTube videos, many many videos are not ASL but PSE or :-P SEE or some variation. There are some people who are ASL but most are not.

Be careful of YouTube videos, many many videos are not ASL but PSE or :-P SEE or some variation. There are some people who are ASL but most are not.

That was another things I was worried about. The other things I had a problem with, a lot I have seen are for songs that I don't even know or never heard of. That means, the newer stuff.:giggle: I think I wouldn't mind some ASL poetry but I will check that.

I willing to set up on youtube soon ready review asl basic i support offer asl studdy I will oovoo and skype and will figure great freedom

we are schedule make sure prepare to process on the appointment support to for you!
I am become teacher good I am good ASL perceptive quality I am encourage to changelle best my hard work effort I can do it best process figure out straight to lots of issues your influence person quality match ASL and English mixing I respect everything person good asl basic nervous Don't afraid I mind you vblog might good advise I consider add vblog I will soon! I will figure review my ASL I believe it!

Dragonman - I look forward to it. I will need to see what you can help me with.Maybe I can send you something and you and I could get on ooVoo or Skype or each do a video and try it. I will email you.

Dragonman - I look forward to it. I will need to see what you can help me with.Maybe I can send you something and you and I could get on ooVoo or Skype or each do a video and try it. I will email you.

of course prepare to support 24 ticket issues help advise to add my best duty mind of question to me

I know this isn't a YouTube video suggestion (or an online one, for that matter), but on the subject of the library, does your library not have any ASL DVDs for adults? If your library has a reference video section, they'd be in the low 400s in the Dewey Decimal System.

I know this isn't a YouTube video suggestion (or an online one, for that matter), but on the subject of the library, does your library not have any ASL DVDs for adults? If your library has a reference video section, they'd be in the low 400s in the Dewey Decimal System.

No they do not. I have checked with both the city and the county and the only ASL DVDs or VHS's are for preschool children. And none have optional captioning for me. The city library is planning on purchasing some. I spoke with the person who doeds the ordering and we went through the catalog together.

:wave:I hope the videos come soon, Kristina!
do you remember what you were interested in or what the library ordered?

:wave:I hope the videos come soon, Kristina!
do you remember what you were interested in or what the library ordered?

No, they had a variety of ones with poetry, and general conversation in the current times. There were also once with simple songs and simple stories. There were around 50 to choose from and she was able to order 20. I will get an email when they come in. Takes them about 8-12 weeks to get them and then another 2-3 to have them ready for checkout. We did this about 6 weeks ago.

The community center for the deaf/blind in my city has a library full of literature and dvds for the deaf. Maybe you can check with your local deaf organization?

The community center for the deaf/blind in my city has a library full of literature and dvds for the deaf. Maybe you can check with your local deaf organization?

They have nothing. I go there every so often. All they have are very antiquated VHS's from the 80's.

They have nothing. I go there every so often. All they have are very antiquated VHS's from the 80's.

Deaf Services Commission of Iowa has things like the DVD's. Florida must have this too, as it is a government service.

Have you checked on that?

Back