Deaf for AG Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the red bold, can you show where this was the case?

Thanks.
No problem.
When that commercial came out in 2008, I wrote a letter in praise to Pepsico and one in protest to AGBell as a member. I received a polite reply I don't have now, but I recall it explaining that AGBell had received quite a bit of similar response from its membership in praise of the commercial and rejecting the letter as not being representative of members' sentiment.

AGBell posted some of those responses (not mine, though :) ), as well, and I think it has made an impact, one I believe has been reflected in some internal changes within the org. since that time.

I am curious how many prelingually deaf adults are members of AGBell and support its positions?

I don't care if they now know signs, just curious if they still stand with AG Bell positions.
EGImage.asp

Helen Keller were probably one. Old, black white photography of her, with Anna and Alex. Alex is the fat guy with beard and a hat that looks like an egg. They are sitting on chairs on a field of grass. Someone have written 1901 on the photography.

Don't know of anyone that fit your description today. If I were a deaf punk, I would perhaps become a member for the fun of it because AG Bell are so far out and nasty.

You know, I could probably make a pretty accurate guess of the number of AD members that are supportive of A.G. Bell policy.:lol: It would be small, but very predictable.

If no one are members of AG Balls, just supportive, is it because they fear a rejection from the deaf community if they become members? I don't know the US deaf community that well, so sorry if this question just is stupid.

Also, are people here members of NAD, or is that uncommon, too?

If no one are members of AG Balls, just supportive, is it because they fear a rejection from the deaf community if they become members? I don't know the US deaf community that well, so sorry if this question just is stupid.

Also, are people here members of NAD, or is that uncommon, too?

Naw. Probably just the kind that talks alot but never gets completely involved in anything.

I am an NAD member.

You know, I could probably make a pretty accurate guess of the number of AD members that are supportive of A.G. Bell policy.:lol: It would be small, but very predictable.

Resistance is futile.
You*will*be* assimilated.

No problem.

Got it. At least you have the right mind on providing a link or respond directly and appropriately when asked.

It's not uncommon that some members will object to an organization's response to an issue as not being representative of their personal views. I'm not really surprised if that was the case in an email response to you.

Got it. At least you have the right mind on providing a link or respond directly and appropriately when asked.

It's not uncommon that some members will object to an organization's response to an issue as not being representative of their personal views. I'm not really surprised if that was the case in an email response to you.

Looks like the responses from members was evenly divided pro and con on that one.

Speculative but possible...who knows exactly for sure.

Just going by what AG Bell posted:

AG Bell requested and received feedback from its members about our communication with Pepsi. Members were evenly split between being in support of or against our letter to Pepsi.

Are you thinking there might have actually been much more of a negative response from their members that they didn't want to admit to?

Are you thinking there might have actually been much more of a negative response from their members that they didn't want to admit to?
It could be more or less. I don't think every single member responded but just those who responded. We don't even know how many responded is what I'm getting at.

They got a great deal of feedback from people that weren't members. Wonder why none of that was made public? Could that be because any response other than one that has a fee attached is considered unimportant?

They got a great deal of feedback from people that weren't members. Wonder why none of that was made public? Could that be because any response other than one that has a fee attached is considered unimportant?

I think the responses we get from AD is a pretty good representative of the general deaf population.

I think the responses we get from AD is a pretty good representative of the general deaf population.

I agree. I think that we are diverse enough around here to make up a fairly generalizable population. And the responses here were decidedly different in context and content that the A.G. Bell member responses. At least the ones that were made public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back