How Many of You That Wear HA's Grow Hair Long to Cover Them?

I couldn't care less if people can see my HA. I admit, they are not the nicest things to see, but they have become part of me.

The funny thing is, I used to feel uncomfortable around people with my tan coloured HA (which I still wear today). So, I used to contemplate covering them up. Yet, I have always wanted coloured HA that would stand out. I guess I see coloured HA as an accessory, like an earring or bluetooth.

all my interviewers knew beforehand and they had no problem with it. all they asked was - "will you be able to understand me?"

I agree, it can go both ways. The last interview, I was open about them and got the job.

People are naturally curious, theyre not something you see everyday, especially on a younger people. So when people see them, they probably have questions but are afraid to ask. Kinda like seeing someone with a missing finger. You wanna know how they lost it :hmm:

My HAs have never bothered me in the least. I wear a ponytail a lot or have my hair up in curls and my HAs are very visible. I never gave it a second thought.

In the past I've encountered a lot of resistance from my haircutters when I asked them to change my hair style that involved going from when where my HAs were covered to where they couldn't be covered. I was just interested in a different look and they would be hung up over my HAs showing.

Anyone else experience this?

@ Jazzberry - yup. I just withered them with my best Granny Glare. lol

When I got my blue swirly mold I did really like it. The stylist was wanting my hair to cover my ears because of the ha's. After a lengthy convo about ha's and such.... well, let's just say that now he only tells me if he thinks the style would flatter my face or not. lol He now says.."oh yes girl, that style is working for you!!" or "oh no honey, that one is sooo not for you".

I love that guy.

@OP - Congrats on the new job!!

@ Jazzberry - yup. I just withered them with my best Granny Glare. lol

When I got my blue swirly mold I did really like it. The stylist was wanting my hair to cover my ears because of the ha's. After a lengthy convo about ha's and such.... well, let's just say that now he only tells me if he thinks the style would flatter my face or not. lol He now says.."oh yes girl, that style is working for you!!" or "oh no honey, that one is sooo not for you".

I love that guy.

<snip>

Well, I'll just have to work on my glare than! :)

BTW, of course I always end up getting the haircut I want or at least a good try at it (it always looks better in the magazines though :) ), but I do find it very curious that some of my stylists had care more about whether my HAs showed than I did. {Shrug}

@Doug5 -- Congrats on the new job! No small feat in this economy! :)

@ Jazz - so true - I guess because they dont have the ha's and dont know deaf pride? "shrug"??

Granny glare lesson - think of a very adorable 5 year old who stands in front of you in a crowded, small space such as a sealed elevator. Now imagine that the li'l darling silently passes the worst gas imaginable. Now the sweet, blameless, innocent and adorable child turns to you and says loudly and with great surprise - "MMOMM" !!!! Of course, everyone turns to look at you....That should give you an idea of my best glare. (true story) I will not name names in order to protect the privacy of one of my 5 adorable, now grown, children. Hmph.

good! I have short hair and they do treat me differently when they see my HA. how? by accommodating me :)

That was always my father's theory, that HA should be visible so people interacting knew they were dealing with a deaf person.

But that said, in my teen years, I did have very long hair covering my ears.

Now of course, I am old and only care about comfort.

But my hearing aid is bright translucent blue. :lol:

@ Jazz - so true - I guess because they dont have the ha's and dont know deaf pride? "shrug"??

Granny glare lesson - think of a very adorable 5 year old who stands in front of you in a crowded, small space such as a sealed elevator. Now imagine that the li'l darling silently passes the worst gas imaginable. Now the sweet, blameless, innocent and adorable child turns to you and says loudly and with great surprise - "MMOMM" !!!! Of course, everyone turns to look at you....That should give you an idea of my best glare. (true story) I will not name names in order to protect the privacy of one of my 5 adorable, now grown, children. Hmph.

That made me laugh outloud! Kids can do the darndest thing sometimes. :)

Jazzberry, Im still looking for work. I was referring to my last job 5 years ago.

Jazzberry, Im still looking for work. I was referring to my last job 5 years ago.

Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood. It's a tough market, a lot of US businesses still outsource many of their jobs and that doesn't help.

I'm only working part-time myself. Here's wishing good luck to both of us! :)

I'm actually surprised. I thought more people would notice my CI. I've got this big ass magnet sitting on the side of my head above my ear... how could they not notice it???

I think part of it may be how you carry yourself. People who carry themselves with a lot of confidence tend to be respected more (people don't notice odd things as much). People with low confidence tend tend to get more criticism (people look for things to critique). I noticed this as I learned to carry myself with more confidence.

Well, now I have my hair long enough to cover my CI, but it isn't really intended :)

I had short hair for 15 years and didn't care if my CI is visible or not. My best friend wanted to see me with longer hair, so I tried it - two years ago I had my last short-cut. And it has some advantages too - people don't think I'm a boy anymore :lol:

But i remember that when I was at high school and had short hair, a guy from another class asked one of my schoolmates what is that bullshit I have behind the ear :lol::lol:

When I wore my CIC-HA waaaaaaay back when I was in junior high (late 1990s) I was conscious about it. I would constantly brush my hair over my ears hoping no one would spot them. It was bad enough I was fitted with braces, was already bullied on a daily basis. If my tormentors had found out I was also wearing a HA, OMG, no telling what else they would have laid on me. They already called me 'Granny' because in my middle school years, I was chubby and was also the slowest kid in gym class. I hated it.

Now I am thinking about getting a BTE HA. I am told the molds are much more forgiving on the ear and I have thought about getting bright blue if possible. It would contrast with my hair. I already wear my hair short anyways. As an adult, I don't really care if anyone sees or not. Heck I might get some neon blue ear molds! :lol:

This time, I am doing it on my terms, not someone else's terms.

When I wore my CIC-HA waaaaaaay back when I was in junior high (late 1990s) I was conscious about it. I would constantly brush my hair over my ears hoping no one would spot them. It was bad enough I was fitted with braces, was already bullied on a daily basis. If my tormentors had found out I was also wearing a HA, OMG, no telling what else they would have laid on me. They already called me 'Granny' because in my middle school years, I was chubby and was also the slowest kid in gym class. I hated it.

Now I am thinking about getting a BTE HA. I am told the molds are much more forgiving on the ear and I have thought about getting bright blue if possible. It would contrast with my hair. I already wear my hair short anyways. As an adult, I don't really care if anyone sees or not. Heck I might get some neon blue ear molds! :lol:

Bright blue is a good choice! All the coolest people have bright blue hearing aids. ;)

Bright blue is a good choice! All the coolest people have bright blue hearing aids. ;)

Yes because I am also Deafqueer! :laugh2:

I can actually picture myself wearing my AE Plaid ballcap, my hair cut close to my head and I also have a bright blue earmold and a bright blue BTE aid. Kind of looks cool I would think. I would have the red, white, and blue thing going on. :lol:

Back when I still wore HAs, I wish I had gotten those cool molds and HAs instend of a boring HA.

Yes because I am also Deafqueer! :laugh2:

I can actually picture myself wearing my AE Plaid ballcap, my hair cut close to my head and I also have a bright blue earmold and a bright blue BTE aid. Kind of looks cool I would think. I would have the red, white, and blue thing going on. :lol:

You'd look very Patriotic. :D

Back