How Many of You That Wear HA's Grow Hair Long to Cover Them?

Doug5

Reaction score
I just got new ha's and have had a few comments "you can barely see them!" :roll:

Ive gotten over being self concious about them. I actually ordered them in blue but they sent tan ones instead.

Now Im feeling a little paranoid and wonder if I should grow out my hair to cover them.

I wonder if people will treat me differently if they see them.

What do you guys do?

I wear my hair short, and my hearing aids are not noticeable. Once you get comfortable with them, you will forget they are even in, and enjoy being part of the activity.

I have worn long hair to cover the aids, and had to get used to the sounds of my hair moving.

I used to grow my hair long enough to cover my HAs then I went bald...

Have worn a BTE aid since the 1970's and never thought of covering it. I do have long hair but is is worn up in order to keep it out of my eyes (fine and soft hair).

The Oticon Zest are so small that no one sees them unless I tell them. And my hair isn't covering them.

I used to be self-conscious but now I don't care if anyone sees them. Bummer about the colour though, can you exchange them for the blue ones?

The last time I did that was in grade school. Then in junior high I decided I wasn't going to do that anymore, and I haven't.

Most people don't seem to notice the hearing aids anyway.

I can't do that, but I don't feel self conscious about the aid anymore. I'm just more cautious of how people treat me with it, aid itself doesn't matter.

I got bright purple HA and ear molds so people will see them! I am hoping people will see my HA and not think I am being rude for not moving for them. I got purple HA after my beloved hearing dog dies , as I do not want people ramming their shopping carts into me if I do not move for them!
When I had a HA that you wore on your body , I wore it on the outside when I got older , I made myself a strap with a pocket for my HA and wore it over a shoulder and you could see the HA and
cord running down my neck. I did not care what people thought , I do not like being HOH but I am not
to hide it.

I used to make sure my hair covered them when I was a kid. Now, I don't even think about it.

I've never worn my hair long to cover my HAs. When I do grow hair long, it's always because I want a new look. I currently have shoulder length hair.

I am not self concious about them at all, but I do know people treat you differently if they see them.

I am looking for a job and think it could have a negative affect if the employer sees them. Maybe even subconciously, like it distracts the employer during the interview.

There have been studies on this called "the hearing aid affect". It studies peoples perception to those wearing ha's and it tends to be negative.

I wouldnt consider myself self concious about them at all, but the amount of people that are amazes me. I was in my audi's waiting room recently and a old guy told me that my aids were hardly visable (Naida UP) i just couldnt help but laugh to myself, i think the Naida UP would have to be the least discreet aid currently available.

I am not self concious about them at all, but I do know people treat you differently if they see them.

I am looking for a job and think it could have a negative affect if the employer sees them. Maybe even subconciously, like it distracts the employer during the interview.

There have been studies on this called "the hearing aid affect". It studies peoples perception to those wearing ha's and it tends to be negative.

That's fine because I will be negative right back at them! I have no use for these idiots.

I used to have long hair to hide my aids....now I don't give a shit....says the girl with bright purple aids and molds.

When I absolutely must wear them I proudly show off my sparkled blue swirled molds. I often use self stick rhinestones or stickers to hide the ugly beige has.
I do pull my longer hair up and dont care who seems them. It's the attitude that will help you. It is confidence. Good luck in your job hunting I just know that something good is out there for you.

I just got new ha's and have had a few comments "you can barely see them!" :roll:

Ive gotten over being self concious about them. I actually ordered them in blue but they sent tan ones instead.

Now Im feeling a little paranoid and wonder if I should grow out my hair to cover them.

I wonder if people will treat me differently if they see them.

What do you guys do?
good! I have short hair and they do treat me differently when they see my HA. how? by accommodating me :)

all my interviewers knew beforehand and they had no problem with it. all they asked was - "will you be able to understand me?"

Back