Give me a job!

What about applying for jobs with the Federal Govt? With your MA, you should make close to 100K. My hubby is trying to get me to apply for a job with the Federal govt but I like my summers off due to time with the kids so I am gonna wait. However, if things do become desperate, then I will go for it.

Professional Stripper gets good paid plus tips. That is only way to go.

Yea, if I had the body, I probably would go for it since I love dancing naked! :lol:

you think Americans living on $18,000 a year are in any position to help anybody else? they cannot even have 3 square meals and proper house. Try doing that for yourself.

I am doing it now, family of four. Of course we get help. Insurance, some food assistance. But we pay our mortgage and utilities. 2 cars, plus gas. It's very hard. Surviving on just $400 a week. barely making ends meet, but still I am thankful for what i have. Two beautiful children, wife, home, job, car. I would love to make more! I use to make 3 times this a few years ago. But I am not bitter nor am I starving or in poverty.

This is poverty..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZm6X5Q1tLc]YouTube - 11-year-old girl Banafsha Begs for Bread and Pennies[/ame]

What Jiro is trying to tell you (INdievisible) ...it's not that we are unthankful for what we have...the issue is..we don't have anything to be thankful for. lol

Hmmm...I guess stripping and working for the federal government is on my list now. On a serious note, I'm applying for almost everything now.

I am doing it now, family of four. Of course we get help. Insurance, some food assistance. But we pay our mortgage and utilities. 2 cars, plus gas. It's very hard. Surviving on just $400 a week. barely making ends meet, but still I am thankful for what i have. Two beautiful children, wife, home, job, car. I would love to make more! I use to make 3 times this a few years ago. But I am not bitter nor am I starving or in poverty.

This is poverty..

I'm sorry but a family of 4 with mortgage, 2 cars, insurance, and.... computer which you are using for AD - I don't buy it. You cannot have those with just $18,000 a year. What you're experiencing is just about pretty much same as all of us - the lower middle class.

You have not tasted a real poverty yet. Please do not compare Afghanistan poverty to us. We do not live in 1800's, they do. If you really want us to "feel" Afghanistan poverty - try living at drug-infested project home, 1 meal a day, and no mortgage/car/insurance/computer.

I disagree. I think we have a lot to be thankful for. We just need to be mindful of what we do have. Also if Jiro is serious, he associates $18k as poverty. Well then I must be in poverty and work, own a home, two cars and support a family of 4 on poverty. We do it. Is it easy? No. Is it fun? Not always.

Like I said before. I think we forget how lucky we are and how better off we are. Nothing wrong with wanting and persuing better, but lets not forget what we have. Poverty is homeless, starvation, no health insurance, no hope, sadness, dispair, and really very painful. I doubt any one here including me qualifies for the true definition of poverty. :)

What Jiro is trying to tell you (INdievisible) ...it's not that we are unthankful for what we have...the issue is..we don't have anything to be thankful for. lol

Hmmm...I guess stripping and working for the federal government is on my list now. On a serious note, I'm applying for almost everything now.

:ty: that is what I'm also saying as well. hhmmmm... how about signing up for teacher union organization?

With the way Deaf education is going with the CI movement and the push for oralism only, I have my resumes ready for different jobs cuz after I lose my job to oralism, I am done with teaching.

You will have a job for life with the Federal Govt...:D

I disagree. I think we have a lot to be thankful for. We just need to be mindful of what we do have. Also if Jiro is serious, he associates $18k as poverty. Well then I must be in poverty and work, own a home, two cars and support a family of 4 on poverty. We do it. Is it easy? No. Is it fun? Not always.

Like I said before. I think we forget how lucky we are and how better off we are. Nothing wrong with wanting and persuing better, but lets not forget what we have. Poverty is homeless, starvation, no health insurance, no hope, sadness, dispair, and really very painful. I doubt any one here including me qualifies for the true definition of poverty. :)

I am thankful to have a job and everything I have but at the same time, I know I shouldnt be living paycheck to paycheck with all the hard work I do and all the classes I still have to take to keep my job.

BTW, the OP has experienced serious poverty in her childhood so I think she is probably the best person to understand what it is like.

:ty: that is what I'm also saying as well. hhmmmm... how about signing up for teacher union organization?

Even with that, it still doesnt help, or it didnt in my case.

$18k is determined by government's legal definition of poverty. If I'm correct - the GDP of America is $46,000. It's all about the living cost in any country. Afghanistan has obviously a much lower living cost than us, therefore their GDP is lower. Afghanistan's GDP is $1,000. You would be considered as a very wealthy person there (assuming you make $18k/yr).

I don't like to use comparison of poverty from other countries to USA because it's apple-orange. It's a different culture, different lifestyle, different etc. Since you're American - you think the lifestyle in Afghan is shockingly poor to you. $100 a month may be NOTHING for us but for them, it's a blessing. Afghans with a modest tiny mud house, a bicycle, several children, and a couple of goats or chicken... that's a blessing for them.

Yes you're right that we should not take things for granted and should be mindful about what other countrymen have or don't have. But if we cannot help ourselves, we cannot help others as much as we want to.

really? damn..... :mad2: @ government

But I do get protection and free legal service if I should ever get accused of something which I hope to never experience!

$18k is determined by government's legal definition of poverty. If I'm correct - the GDP of America is $46,000. It's all about the living cost in any country. Afghanistan has obviously a much lower living cost than us, therefore their GDP is lower. Afghanistan's GDP is $1,000. You would be considered as a very wealthy person there (assuming you make $18k/yr).

I don't like to use comparison of poverty from other countries to USA because it's apple-orange. It's a different culture, different lifestyle, different etc. Since you're American - you think the lifestyle in Afghan is shockingly poor to you. $100 a month may be NOTHING for us but for them, it's a blessing. Afghans with a modest tiny mud house, a bicycle, several children, and a couple of goats or chicken... that's a blessing for them.

Yes you're right that we should not take things for granted and should be mindful about what other countrymen have or don't have. But if we cannot help ourselves, we cannot help others as much as we want to.

I agree very strongly with this statement. I think that was well said, Jiro.

It's really very simple regardless of GDP. Do you live in a card board box or mud home? Are you homeless? Do you have a job, a roof over your head, food in your stomach?

We all work hard or most any way. Some harder then others for less money. Yet we live in the greatest country there is. Why? because we all have a chance, a real chance to progress and do better regardless of the GDP.

I think these are all very positive attributes to us no matter where we fall on the pay scale. As I said, there is nothing wrong with wanting more or better! I sure do! But it's just ironic to hear some Americans complain as if they are on the verge of poverty. When you can't provide food for your hungry crying child, then you can claim poverty. Certainly the economy right now and job mart is not what it could be. But even now we are all still better off then so many other countries. Is it fair that some are getting paid more money for the same work we do? Of course not. But I think many of us forget how good we have it, even at $18k.

As little as I make I donate to charity when ever I can. It's not a lot. But I bet I contribute more in a year then Joe Biden did. As much as he makes all he contributed to charity last year was just under $400. So where is all that share the wealth Joe? LOL.

I hope we all see better days soon!

I am a bit surprised at the complaint here. I don't mean to be rude or anything really, but I always thought that teachers at deaf schools don't get paid a fantastic income. I thought that upon entering into this career that one had to accept this fact. Kind of like Social Work. Social Workers do it because they love it and accept they don't get a fantastic income.

Also, to the OP, if you're not getting paid what they promised you and on time, then isn't there an office that you can send your complaint to? I read your other post that you hate teaching, then I hear you complaining that you're not paid enough. Are you hating your job because you're not paid enough or you don't like teaching? Maybe it's both?

I am a bit surprised at the complaint here. I don't mean to be rude or anything really, but I always thought that teachers at deaf schools don't get paid a fantastic income. I thought that upon entering into this career that one had to accept this fact. Kind of like Social Work. Social Workers do it because they love it and accept they don't get a fantastic income.

Also, to the OP, if you're not getting paid what they promised you and on time, then isn't there an office that you can send your complaint to? I read your other post that you hate teaching, then I hear you complaining that you're not paid enough. Are you hating your job because you're not paid enough or you don't like teaching? Maybe it's both?

That doesnt mean it should be ok. It is wrong if teachers cant support themselves whether they work at deaf schools or public schools. I find it unacceptable in my book ..and yes, we love our jobs but we have families to feed and in the OP's case, she is a single mom who is solely responsible for her children's well-being. If her job cant pay her enough that she cant support her family, then there is something wrong with the picture.

That doesnt mean it should be ok. It is wrong if teachers cant support themselves whether they work at deaf schools or public schools. I find it unacceptable in my book ..and yes, we love our jobs but we have families to feed and in the OP's case, she is a single mom who is solely responsible for her children's well-being. If her job cant pay her enough that she cant support her family, then there is something wrong with the picture.

and thus.... the beginning of domino effect - more and more teachers have to leave the jobs to work for something else (non-teaching positions)... forcing schools to settle for for less-qualified, inexperienced young teachers who would accept low salary.... and this leads to shoddy education system in America.

and thus.... the beginning of domino effect - more and more teachers have to leave the jobs to work for something else (non-teaching positions)... forcing schools to settle for for less-qualified, inexperienced young teachers who would accept low salary.... and this leads to shoddy education system in America.

Yea, and that's something that people need to really think twice about.

Back