Pros and Cons of 2nd & 3rd shift..

I work:

6am to 2:30pm Government

3:00pm to 10pm Group Home ( 3 times a week)

10pm to 8am Residental Advisor ( 2 times a week)

I slept during lunch hour.

I work at the 2nd shift, I miss lot of the events in the evenings but oh well.

I used to work third shift at a factory several years back in the old days, It was so hard because I had to be at work from 11 at night to 7 in the morning, take my son to school and sleep a few hours before he gets home from school, I did not get plenty of sleep. It was too much stress for me, So I decide to find another job before quitting that job and I did in just a matter of time. Never been happier. It was very hard to do that when you're a single mother. It doesn't work that way.

OldNavyGirl said:
I heard 3rd shift pays more than the 2nd shift but i guess it depend on what job u're talking about. *shrugs*

It's true. 2nd shift at my work has .25 per hour premium on top of base wage and 3rd shift adds .15 more bringing the 3rd shift's total to .45 at my job.

Ive worked all shifts and I would rather work 2nd shift....

I worked plenty of second and third shifts during my college years. Computer rooms and security are both 24 hour operations.

I'm working 2nd shift security now and like it much better than working nights. I can get up early and run errands without problems. I don't have to worry about managers hanging around at work. I can get ahold of people when there are problems without having to wake them up from a deep sleep. After work, I can surf the web without interuption. This helps me keep up with AD and the news.

The downside is that I miss out on stuff with the family and new TV shows. I still haven't figured out how to hook up a VCR to my sis' DirecTV.

I've worked jobs that have paid shift differential, but none of them have been security. I've also worked many weekends and holidays. :(

Yeah I recalled that I used to work for Xerox Corp
near Rochester NY on 3rd shift I love it because
I could go out with anyone for dinner and
then go to work at nights from
10 pm till 6 or 7 am
at the computer operations room
I LOVE it because of very few people there
and it's usually very quiet there all night long.
When I get ready go home leaving the building
usually say "Good Morning" to these 1st shift people coming in
and they said "Good Night" to me at the same time
LOL

I have done a third shift eons ago. Once you sort of get used to it, it is not too bad. I would definitely prefer it over the second shift as you don't have to miss the social stuff with family and friends.

I have never done night shifts but have worked jobs with odd hours...definately not 9 to 5 hours. But if it was up to me, I would prefer 1st and 3rd shift for work...more benefits and /or have social life.

I dont know whats your life situation with family and your relationship with your hubby. Best discuss this with your hubby and make sure you decide whats is best and comfortable with. It is harder with family than when being single.

For all of the benefits mentioned here about the third shift, it is also well known that quality control takes a dip on that shift.

I have worked only 1st and 2nd shifts in my life. I used to work 2nd shift at Carl's Jr. Restaurant in California about 12 years ago. Carl's Jr. is a popular fast food restaurant, like Burger King, in Southern California.... Right now I work first shift from 7 AM to 4 PM weekdays. I like first and second shift better than 3rd shift. 3rd shift is hard for me, becuase of lack of sleep on daytime.

Back