SS checks may stop after Oct 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have enough organizing and "cleaning up" to do at my own place of work, I can't baby sit the government too. I'm too busy dealing with the rest of the idiots who shoot each other over walking on the others playground.:ty:
Seems like you want to clean up the government mess. They should hire you after the shutdown ends.

I am 5th generation Deaf. All of my family and relatives do not rely on SSI/SSDI. We EARN money by going to work everyday.

What about you? :hmm:
So what? Why don't you complain to Congress about lazy deaf people living on SSI? :hmm:
Anyway it seems that you don't know what SSDI is for.

What about us who are disabled and rely on making a house payment? I used to think like that long ago... but once it happens to you you will sing to a different tune.

I would highly recommend them to move to somewhere cheaper... or with government-controlled rent....

There is long waiting list for government-controlled rent, and they aren't easy to get in.

And what happens once government actually stopping making payments, will they stop making payment to government controlled apartments, will they start to make eviction procedure because government has no money to pay, and these dwellers can't get check from government?

Looks like default is going to happen anyway, and there will be catastrophic effect, the interest payment will DEFINITELY go up, meaning government have less to spend on others but more to interest payment.

Uncle Sam is now being F...ked up. Who to blame? These two stupid parties that can't agree with each other.

government-controlled rent....

Is anyone ready for another great recession or even worse than great depression? It is in the horizon, unless congress acts which it appears not likely going to happen after all.

I hate to say this ... but I am going to go right on and say it. My grandmother is 87 years old and works part time in a fast food restaurant.

She doesn't need the money - she just likes to work, and she likes to be out of thehouse and around other people.

yeah ... a fast food restaurant. She still volunteers at the VA (she is a Registered Nurse). But I get it, there are people who just can't work. They have to get over the mental hurdle that work is beneath them.

What did you say? :laugh2:

They better find a part time job.

Not everyone that gets SSI are lazy. A coworker of mine just retired after working for the agency since 1998, without a raise, he gets only $500 a month for all those years, and he had a near perfect attendence record too. Actually to be more accurate, he (along with a union rep about the same age) was threatened and forced into retirement..... He would have worked till he dropped if he was allowed to. He gets peanuts in SSI. People in their 60's can't just "get a job." Age discrimination works against them...and limits the type of back breaking, low income job they can get. There's also a number of people who worked their entire lives and were forced into retirement by the economy, which was my father's situation. It's not as black and white as you make it out to be. True there's a lot of dead beats collecting SSI but many more who actually earned it.

Laura

I hate to say this ... but I am going to go right on and say it. My grandmother is 87 years old and works part time in a fast food restaurant.

She doesn't need the money - she just likes to work, and she likes to be out of thehouse and around other people.

yeah ... a fast food restaurant. She still volunteers at the VA (she is a Registered Nurse). But I get it, there are people who just can't work. They have to get over the mental hurdle that work is beneath them.

My mother makes $300 a month in pension from her years as an RN. Her health forced her to retire, and as much as she'd want to, she's not well enough to work even part time. Not everyone is so fortunate to enjoy good health. With what little she gets in SSI, she can barely afford her medications and just tonight, she's on a new pill that costs an extra $100.

They're stopping the checks and mine haven't even started yet! :lol:

Since this comment is on the bottom of the previous page, I'm repeating it here: I get mine tomorrow,on the 16th, one day before the Debt Ceiling deadline. :D

My mother makes $300 a month in pension from her years as an RN. Her health forced her to retire, and as much as she'd want to, she's not well enough to work even part time. Not everyone is so fortunate to enjoy good health. With what little she gets in SSI, she can barely afford her medications and just tonight, she's on a new pill that costs an extra $100.

I wasn't trying to make a jab at people who really cannot work. I was attempting to convey that there are people on public assistance that can work, but feel work is beneath them.

My grandmother is in good health, my wife's grandmother was not. She recently passed. They would both be the same age. My grandmother can still carry around heavy objects without even breathing hard. Before my wife's grandmother passed, she was needing assistance just to stand up.

So yes, I do know that everybody is different, and everybody has different health related issues. But I also know, from a first hand, eye witness, account, that there are many people out there exploiting the system that are perfectly able bodied to work.

My grandmother is working because she wants to .. not because she needs to. That quality is very very rare these days. To add to this further, she has never, in my life at least, felt entitled to anything. She is an extremely sweet person, never gets embarrassed about anything she does, attends church regularly, prays every morning, volunteers at the local VA, and checks in on her kids, her grandkids and her great grandkids.

She also lived through the great depression - so her mentality of life was formed when she was young - that if you wanted anything in life, you had to work for it.

She is my "hero".

I wasn't trying to make a jab at people who really cannot work. I was attempting to convey that there are people on public assistance that can work, but feel work is beneath them.

My grandmother is in good health, my wife's grandmother was not. She recently passed. They would both be the same age. My grandmother can still carry around heavy objects without even breathing hard. Before my wife's grandmother passed, she was needing assistance just to stand up.

So yes, I do know that everybody is different, and everybody has different health related issues. But I also know, from a first hand, eye witness, account, that there are many people out there exploiting the system that are perfectly able bodied to work.

My grandmother is working because she wants to .. not because she needs to. That quality is very very rare these days.

But those making employment decisions don't think so in many cases!

But those making employment decisions don't think so in many cases!

Oh, I 100% agree with you there. To add to that, it is people who do this to others that often times puts a psychological block inside people's head that they 'can't' do something.

She also lived through the great depression - so her mentality of life was formed when she was young - that if you wanted anything in life, you had to work for it.

She is my "hero".

My grandmother was the same way and she was a tough woman. She cared for a sick husband and me and my siblings when our mother was on her death bed (and survived but not without a long rehabilitation.) People of our grandmothers' age worked when children were slaves and were subjected to dangerous work conditions. But when you survive the depression, it leaves it's mark. My grandmother worked hard all her life and if it wasn't for a lack of transportation - who knows what she would have done. But she helped raise my siblings and I, and helped my parents. She was my hero as well...but I know a number of people very capable in their jobs and highly skilled and no one would give them a chance to get back into the work force, just to make ends meet.

I know you already realize this, but not everyone does, and it's sad when good people get lumped with the deadbeats. It's always the innocent that get hurt by the government and a sick economy.

... But I get it, there are people who just can't work. They have to get over the mental hurdle that work is beneath them.
I don't think that's the case with all people who don't work. Some people are in very bad physical shape or can't find jobs that they are able to do or can't get to. I agree that probably more people could be working than what are but that's not everyone's situation.

Since this comment is on the bottom of the previous page, I'm repeating it here: I get mine tomorrow,on the 16th, one day before the Debt Ceiling deadline. :D
You just want to rub it in.

:smash:

No, I didn't...just pointing out how close to the deadline my monthly date is. I don't even think this shutdown has anything to do with your case...application for benes....don't think they would have commenced before the shutdown nor the 17th. :wave:

And over the years here, I have mentioned about being stuck on the bottom of the previous page more than once.

Last edited:
Not everyone that gets SSI are lazy. A coworker of mine just retired after working for the agency since 1998, without a raise, he gets only $500 a month for all those years, and he had a near perfect attendence record too. Actually to be more accurate, he (along with a union rep about the same age) was threatened and forced into retirement..... He would have worked till he dropped if he was allowed to. He gets peanuts in SSI. People in their 60's can't just "get a job." Age discrimination works against them...and limits the type of back breaking, low income job they can get. There's also a number of people who worked their entire lives and were forced into retirement by the economy, which was my father's situation. It's not as black and white as you make it out to be. True there's a lot of dead beats collecting SSI but many more who actually earned it.

Laura

um... you're talking about a retired person.... he's talking about a person who is fully capable of working...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back