Cheap Ear Wax Removal?

Wimes

Reaction score
I'm not hard of hearing, but my husband is, and he's assigned me a task since he's pretty busy.

His ear wax is very impacted and he wants me to make an appointment with an ENT doctor to get it suctioned out. Is there any way to have this procedure done cheaply? He doesn't have insurance. I tried the CVS minute clinic but the methods they use for ear wax removal are too wimpy for the DH's solid walls of wax. He's sure that curretage and water irrigation don't work for him.

I suspect that he's going to have to take it like a man and cough up the $300 all the doctors want for a ten minute suck session. If that sounds dirty, it's because I'm bitter at the health care situation in the U.S. But that's a completely different ball of wax. Har har.

My son's pediatrician taught me, many years ago, to put a few drops of sweet oil in the ear to loosen the wax, let it set for a few minutes, and then use a Water Pik (meant for cleaning the teeth) to flush it out. The small tip is perfect for getting the pulsing water into the ear. My son used to love to have his ears flushed like this when he was a kid.

or you could try using ear wax removal pick. It's a common tool in Asia. if he's having such a stubborn ear wax buildup.. he'll need to clean his ears with Q-tip regularly after shower or whenever it's very "wet/moisty" inside. I went for routine ear check-up and my doctor was bit puzzled because he said my ears were "too clean"... hardly any wax at all... lol

ear-pick04.jpg

I can vouch for a combination of peroxide and Q-tips.

But you should not let that much ear wax build up, as stated by the OP.

I can vouch for a combination of peroxide and Q-tips.

But you should not let that much ear wax build up, as stated by the OP.

Q-Tip and other methods didn't work for him since OP's saying her husband's got very stubborn, hardened ear wax... which is gross (sorry). But yea.. combo of peroxide and Q-tips are good.. it reduces the ear itchiness

But you need to use a light touch with those, as they can cause eardrum perforation.

yup. definitely. BE CAREFUL! My mom used desk lamp and flashlight when I was little. btw - what kind of sweet oil?? I mean what is it? I never heard of sweet oil. There's olive oil, cooking oil, etc..

hmmm. i've always been told never to put q-tips in my ear to remove earwax since this could result in impacting the wax further into the ear.

hmmm. i've always been told never to put q-tips in my ear to remove earwax since this could result in impacting the wax further into the ear.

If you are doing it with peroxide, it is being loosened and coming out from the bubbling peroxide anyway.

I guess you could say - use the right tool for right purpose. If you have a big-ass wax in your ear.... or if you have a tendency to have an ear wax build-up... better not use q-tip. if it's as clean as mine with a small amount of wax... why not.

I used a certain "technique" when cleaning my ear with a q-tip. I don't jab it in cuz it'd push the wax in deeper. I make circular and I try to have the q-tip within center of the ear without touching the ear canal.

If you are doing it with peroxide, it is being loosened and coming out from the bubbling peroxide anyway.

I hope that works for OP's husband. if it doesn't - boy.... sounds like his ear wax is probably tougher than cement! :laugh2:

even with peroxide i was always told not to stick q-tips in my ear.

if the OPs husband has hard earwax, the best thing for him to do is to see his doctor. i know he doesn't have insurance, but perhaps they will allow him to pay on a sliding scale. if anything, i would go to a doctor before an ENT given how expensive ENT charges can be.

I hope that works for OP's husband. if it doesn't - boy.... sounds like his ear wax is probably tougher than cement! :laugh2:

Yes. I can't believe we are having this conversation, but I want to know why he neglected his ears so much anyway?

yup. definitely. BE CAREFUL! My mom used desk lamp and flashlight when I was little. btw - what kind of sweet oil?? I mean what is it? I never heard of sweet oil. There's olive oil, cooking oil, etc..

You can purchase it at a pharmacy. It is formulated specifically for use in the ears. My dad used to use it for us kids when we had ear aches. My pediatrician used it specifically to soften the stubborn impacted wax. My son had a real problem with that due to his ear molds.

...and if that's the case, chances are likely that he'll have to see a doctor for earwax removal anyways.

Yes. The bubbling action of the peroxide is a lesser version of the pulsing water from the water pik. The good thing about the water pik is that it actually flushes the wax from the ear canal without ever having to insert anything to pull it out and risking perforation of the ear drum or further impaction.

Yes. I can't believe we are having this conversation, but I want to know why he neglected his ears so much anyway?

maybe it had nothing to do with neglect. i know my left ear always had problems with accumulating earwax no matter how often i cleaned it. funny thing is, ever since getting my ci's, i no longer have problems with earwax in either of my ears. in fact, whenever my ci surgeon or audi look into my ears, they always tell me how clean they are.

Yes. The bubbling action of the peroxide is a lesser version of the pulsing water from the water pik. The good thing about the water pik is that it actually flushes the wax from the ear canal without ever having to insert anything to pull it out and risking perforation of the ear drum or further impaction.

I have never tried it, but my husband owns one.:hmm:

I have lots of scarring on my eardrums from heated oil being dropped in with a dropper when I was little and had infection. It breaks the membrane. I still remember the pain.

Back