ONSTAR is watching on you? ha...

On the other hand I have seen it on TV news where a car-jacked car was recovered by have the On-Star service disable it.

was it a sting operation?

yup

yup! because it's designed to feel like a truck and drive like a truck. it certainly doesn't have a car-like feeling so it rocks/sways back and forth over pothole and plus - it sits very tall.

If you want an SUV - get a Rogue or Murano. If you want it to looks like an Xterra but with SUV feel & luxury features, get a Pathfinder. Better hurry before Nissan replaces Pathfinder with this ugly new model - 2012 Nissan Pathfinder Concept goes back to unibody

but as for Xterra model - it's here to stay and it won't change for some while. later tonight - I'll show you a pix of what I'll slowly convert my Xterra into :cool2:

I've seen the thick and strong frames of the Xterras, like Land Rover LR3s frames, that example of what the Xterra's stiff ride looks like.

I drove Xterra before and yeah it's pretty high and feels like truck but there is no 5th wheeler. The real truck always have 5th wheeler.

oh 5th wheel? here it is -

:cool2:
25h0adx.jpg

No, as I remember it, it was initiated by the victim in cooperation with the police and On-Star.

ah there ya go. only the owner of vehicle can do it and nobody else unless the police has warrant.

PowerOn - here.... this is what I'd like to transform my truck into.

90rbqh.jpg

you just proved my Post #25.
Also, and perhaps we're just being paranoid, but it's a little unsettling to know that a service center rep in a cubicle somewhere has the ability to disable your engine at a moment's notice. We wonder if there's a slippery slope here that should be considered. For instance, can the service be used against the owner of the car who is paying for it? We can imagine a situation in which a divorced parent abducts his or her own child and takes off in a 2009 Malibu equipped with OnStar. The cops give pursuit and realize the car is equipped with OnStar. Could law enforcement then contact OnStar without the subscriber's permission if he or she is breaking the law and giving pursuit. It's something to think about before you subscribe and a question OnStar should answer before the case arises.

but OnStar company clarified about this technology -
The process for Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is:
Once the vehicle has been reported stolen to law enforcement, the subscriber can call OnStar and request Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance. OnStar will confirm the subscriber has not opted out of the Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service.

OnStar will use real-time GPS technology to attempt to pinpoint the exact location of the stolen vehicle and provide this information to law enforcement to help them recover the vehicle.

When law enforcement has established a clear line of sight of the stolen vehicle, law enforcement may request OnStar to slow it down remotely.

Safeguards will be in place to ensure that the correct vehicle is slowed down.

Research has shown that 95 percent of OnStar subscribers want the Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service available on their cars and trucks. OnStar subscribers have the choice to opt-out of the Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service at any time by contacting OnStar if they prefer not to have this capability on their vehicle. This will not affect the rest of their OnStar services.

bottom line - police officers CANNOT do it themselves without owner's permission or warrant.

On the other hand I have seen it on TV news where a car-jacked car was recovered by having the On-Star service disable it.

I didn't take time to explain that my point was that On-Star can be a help as well not just a possible intrusion. Allowing not just quicker help in case of wreck but maybe getting your stolen vehicle back.

you just proved my Post #25.

but OnStar company clarified about this technology -

bottom line - police officers CANNOT do it themselves without owner's permission or warrant.

Correct... How about the US government people?

Maybe not.... Remove or disable OnStar device (module) then the vehicle won't start because the PCM will read the feedback from OnStar and anti theft modules. No communication from the modules, PCM will disable fuel pump..... Just caution..

Replace it with Aftermarket PCM. You'll get engine up and running but not Onstar :giggle:

Catty

Replace it with Aftermarket PCM. You'll get engine up and running but not Onstar :giggle:

Catty

I think GM Performance sell aftermarket controller, might work with V8 engines. Anytime you replace BCM (body control module), Anti Theft module or other modules, you need to reprogram the modules cuz the VIN need to port to the new modules by use phone to download the modules where the modules can communicate with other modules. The reprogram modules are done by dealerships. I better stay with old school cars.

I don't see any difference with this pix you showed me

fifth-wheel-hitches-1.jpg

Umm. Time to ask your doctor for new RX glasses.

Look again closer. RV connect to truck's top rear axle. That's fifth wheel.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/equipment/hitches/fifth-wheel-hitches.htm

Time for you to learn what fifth wheel is.

"Fifth wheel hitches are designed for carrying much heavier loads than the typical ball hitch can handle."

Your SUV use ball hitch "hauler trailer" Only truck can do fifth wheel hitch.

Yeah deafsmogtech, What's difference you see?

I see the VECI label on under the hood of a 2009 or 2010 Xterra, says light duty truck. The engine in Jiro's Xterra is a 4.0L V6, increased from the older 3.3L V6. :wave:

What's does with 5th wheeler? Do the label said anything about 5th wheeler?

So, Only heavy-duty pickup truck can do 5th wheeler. Light duty truck? BIG NO.

Back