Disney refuse to hire

Frankly, It used to get easy to get a job at Disneyland or Walt Disney World, but when it comes to recession, it is not so easy. It's very competitive. Disney is well known for treating employees badly. I have heard both sides- positive and negative from former employees and current employees. The Disney parks have extremely strict rules, and guidelines, including strict dress code. If your hair is dyed with purple or crazy bold highlighted or your fingernails are too long, nose-pierced, it's no-no. My ex sister-in-law was fired at Disneyland for not showing up at her job. If you are late, you are close to kick out of Disneyland. Some can't stand working outside all day during hot weather. If you constantly complain about your job, you lose points, and your job is on the line. If you really really love Disney, you will do fine at any Disney park, but if you don't love to work at Disney, then you pack your things and say bye-bye. It is not so magical, isn't it?

Deaf man said "They refused to hire me, because they think I'm not qualified."
I would like to know why Disney stated that he is not qualified. I wish the article was thoroughly. Disney is notoriously tight-lipped when it comes to cases.

"Tyler said he was repeatedly denied the right to an interpreter during hearings at the state building in Orlando"

They have violated the law by not giving Tyler an interpreter. Tyler has the right to an interpreter. ADA?? Unfortunately, they chose to disregard that. If I were him, I'd report it aggressively.

Well to be honest, I just learned few new information today regarding to this case. I will say 50/50 win-win..lose/lose case. Why? They were wrong to refuse him any further assistance such as interpreter or try to communicate with him even it takes lot less time to get interpreter and time consuming for them to try to clear things up with that man. And the politics and law people in Florida should know better to inform him the reasons why it was thrown out and refused him the assistance instead of just neglecting him. And I found out that the Disney there already have 2 or 3 deaf employees so that tells me there is something behind these stories between Disney and this man. And I agree with you the ADA law was being mistreated by the law people of Florida. That got to be taken care of but I agree the case got to be thrown out somewhat.

Yeah, I think there was miscommunication going on at his interview, but we were not there. I agree with you that they have no right to neglect him. I wish they should be more approachable.

Disneyland does have deaf employees, and has the Deaf Awareness Day annually. I think WDW does have them as well. Long time ago, my Deaf friend tried to apply a job at Disneyland, but they told him that he lives too far away. It is a 2-hour commute. Disneyland is not interested to hire anyone who may be late due to bad traffic, bad accident, etc. Disneyland is extremely picky. I heard Sea World treats employees far better than Disney employees, but I don't know if Deaf employee works at any Sea World park. I know that Sea World in San Diego has the Deaf Awareness Day annually. I have been there many times.

Last year, my friend was waiting about half an hour for an interpreter to show up for her interview, but an interpreter did not show up. My friend always carries her Viable with her in case an interpreter did not show up.

Too many issues going on here at once to sort them out with this little bit of info. Disney refused ti hire him because he was "unqualified". His lack of qualification for the job he was applying for could very well have virtually nothing to do with the fact that he is deaf. It could easily be lack of experience, lack of skills needed for the job, poor work history, or any other number of things.

Not providing him a terp is wrong. But he did initiate the lawsuit, and many courts will pay for a terp only when the deaf individual is the defendant, not the plaintiff.

This case had already been before the Human Rights Commission for a review of ADA violation in the case of Disney not hiring him. They found his case to have no merit. They are priviledged to the exact reason that he was found to be unqualified, and the fact that they found his case without merit leads me to believe that Disney had a valid reason unrelated to his deafness to deny him the job.

Does Disney hire other qualified D/deaf applicants? As huge as Disney is it would seem they would have some D/deaf hires.

Does Disney hire other qualified D/deaf applicants? As huge as Disney is it would seem they would have some D/deaf hires.

Yes, in post #3 it says they already have two or three there.

Hard to determine is he was in fact qualified OR unqualified for the position he applied for.....Are jobs today harder to find for deafies than 20 years ago??...I remember I had to pound the pavement for a job, I never depended upon the VRS to find one for me....They were not hiring at one company that I was determined to work for....and would not even let me in the door....(take the test for qualification)....I persisted, going back time and time again, until there was an opening, took the test and was hired on the spot.....

Persistance, determination and being qualified for the job opening is important. And knowing your limitations is also.

You hit the right nail.

What I noticed that often when one really want to work for specific company tend to find themselves working for a company that they are least expected (Meaning they will work for elsewhere that is least expected). I myself never thought I would work for the company that I am now working at. I used to think my company is worst place to work for, and I found myself wrong.

Persistance, determination and being qualified for the job opening is important. And knowing your limitations is also.

If they say he is unqualified, then like everyone else said, that is their reason. My uncle works for the Disney offices, and he says they're not at all discriminating about their hires. They have Deaf, blind, etc. However, if it is something that requires a certain ability that he does not have, then it is understandable why he could not have the position. Like someone mentioned, it seems to me that it doesn't have to do with him being Deaf.

However, it astounds me how many times everyday people fail to follow the ADA. Goodness...

If they say he is unqualified, then like everyone else said, that is their reason. My uncle works for the Disney offices, and he says they're not at all discriminating about their hires. They have Deaf, blind, etc. However, if it is something that requires a certain ability that he does not have, then it is understandable why he could not have the position. Like someone mentioned, it seems to me that it doesn't have to do with him being Deaf.

However, it astounds me how many times everyday people fail to follow the ADA. Goodness...

amen to that. Disney is only interested if the guy had ABILITIES and QUALIFICATIONS that he can handle the job.

That reminds me about Walmart having many deaf ppl working in the stores or DC's. They are extremely PICKY like Disney and interested only in people who want to stay long term. I got lucky entering Walmart cause I had 13 years on one job and it wasnt my fault I got laid off plus my experience on the old job closely matched what they were looking for..BINGO I was hired on the Walmart a month after I got laid off. Of course I had to make some trade-offs, but at least I STILL have a job with them for almost 2 years now.

This Guy is a FRAUD!

Now, this Deaf guy in this story is a fraud. The news station needs to check their sources before they report on something like this. Disney is one of the LARGEST employers of Deaf/Hard of Hearing people.....so that is not the reason for him not being hired. Many people know this person in the Deaf community. He has ALREADY been fired by Disney before, has an arrest record, has been fired from ALL of his previous jobs due to threatening management/staff, producing false work documents, threatening lawsuits, insubordination, etc etc etc. When it comes to the courts, anytime someone receives a court hearing there is a contact number that someone can use phone/TTY/videophone in order to request an interpreter.....so his claim about that is false.....sounds like he contacted the wrong dept about that. Just because someone is Deaf, DOES NOT mean the court has to give a hearing to a ridiculous claim. They wouldn't give any hearing person a court date just because they asked. This reporter needs to do some ACTUAL REPORTING AND INVERSTIGATION before airing such a story! He makes hard working Deaf people look bad! Stay away from this guy.

as fact i know Disney have lots of deafies on their payroll i have friend who live in orlando works as programmer he told me there are 135 deafies there but u cant see all of em in plain sight u kow they have a big secret in magic kindom? ok the secret is already out is they have underground arena below main st you ever wonder where garbage guys? all garbages are gone to underground tunnels
so Disney doesn't discriminate anyone ,it's just you have to prove your skills and have a good background check because those with felon or sexual offender or with bad criminal histories are not allowed to works because of kids i have read their term of employment on application yep seriously important to protect their bottom line yes one guy was fired from there after they found out he has criminal histories

Wirelessly posted

Sounds a little too strict... Ill pass on that even will pass on living in Florida.

On the other hand, Walmart hiring process does not make any sense to me at all. Thats alittle too greedy in my opinion.

Wirelessly posted

Sounds a little too strict... Ill pass on that even will pass on living in Florida.

On the other hand, Walmart hiring process does not make any sense to me at all. Thats alittle too greedy in my opinion.

yeah all corporates are being so strict to protects their image and their investments so they dont get sued or something

Are you all freakin serious???? If someone has a criminal record....would you let them take care of your kids??? Same thing at Disney.....Disney works with mostly kids and families. Would you want a criminal with your kid? Of course not. It is not about Deaf or Hearing. MANY Deaf work at Disney! It is about he has been FIRED by Disney before and has been ARRESTED before!

It may be true some people aren’t qualified any may say “Disney discriminated”, however I was able to come across this statement from another former cast member from TWDC. She was interviewing for a company who did not want to accommodate her from the beginning. And it is eerily similar to TWDC’s job application process of a face-to-face interview. The other situation posted above may not have been an ideal cast member, and he may have been fired for other reasons, but this situation was entirely different. A431B7EE-DF2E-438C-AFAD-7BB8822E6E1F.jpegD696C259-8ED7-4F6B-B805-B99B94363D04.jpeg

Back