SSDI and Move another state Question

No SSD (Social Security Disability) will not change because it's federal. For SSI (Social Supplementary Income)yes it would be because of cost of living by state.[/QUO

YES YOU ARE 100% RIGHT, IT DEPEND ON ANY STATE YOU MOVED IN AND THEY WILL FIGURE HOW MUCH YOU EARN MAYBE LESS OR MORE BECAUSE OF LIVING COST IT FOLLOW ON "STATE TAXES" I THINK:thumb:

Well, just get a passport.

Some people cannot afford a passport. If they are on SSI, then obviously they don't have enough funds to pay for a passport after paying for the bills, food, et cetera. So it is a catch-22--
you want to save money by living in a cheap country over the border BUT you gotta save up a bit to BUY a passport and it is against SSI's policy to save up without informing them...
and if you tell them "hey I need a passport" then they are all OVER YOU.
Catch-22.

Some people cannot afford a passport. If they are on SSI, then obviously they don't have enough funds to pay for a passport after paying for the bills, food, et cetera. So it is a catch-22--
you want to save money by living in a cheap country over the border BUT you gotta save up a bit to BUY a passport and it is against SSI's policy to save up without informing them...
and if you tell them "hey I need a passport" then they are all OVER YOU.
Catch-22.

Actually, you can have up to $2000 total in the bank. That's what SSA has told me. I think passports are a little over $100, not sure of the exact amount.

Actually, you can have up to $2000 total in the bank. That's what SSA has told me. I think passports are a little over $100, not sure of the exact amount.

Yes, up to $2000 for SSI people. With SSDI or SSA, you save unlimited amount of money.

I know a lot deafs on SSDI living in Tijuana with San Diego addresses and Juarez with El Paso addresses.

Costs of living in Mexico is about 1/8 of what it costs to live in US.

Richard

i'm paying my taxes for that? fuck if the government had a reward system of some type that will give me a thousand bucks for each SSI violation that I've seen I'll be a millioniare :)

yet i'm wondering with the new tracking system of passports- will the government use that as a tool to cut those deafies off SSI for being out of the country for mroe than 30 days?

Yes, it happens because they can afford living in Mexico at cheap costs. I don't mind buying a huge house in Mexico while working in US. The costs of houses in US are merely bullshit. :eek2:

Yea... I feel like that too. :lol:

You can suggest your friend to get a job. It can pay much more than SSDI/SSI.

My friend who has SSDI and she live in Conn. And plan move to Colorado or New Mexico next year.

She asked me if her SSDI will change amount or same a monthly. I told her I do not know but though this post and maybe useful information??

I am on SSDI I moved to michigan from minneosta. the amount is same. SSDI and SSI are big different.

I disagree with your post. You will get SSDI when you have over 10 years of productive employment. I had SSDI for four years, starting with California. The amount was high, but eventually I moved back to Las Vegas after I graduated from SFSU, my SSDI amount was decreased a little bit (I don't remember how much). Then, I moved to PA for a job and asked SS Office to put me on Work on Trial for 9-12 months. The amount was the same as far as I remember.

But, I guess the rules of SSDI and SSI vary in different state.

HUH, I worked three years. I started on SSDI. but really, In 5 years of your productive employment.

Because She wants aware about amount ssdi so look for Apartment for her and her two sons ok Seem she choice lives in Colorado because there good program Colorado school for the deaf and blind near in Colorado spring so if you knew about that and is good? If any negative and pls private e.Mail me Thanks

I was little boy in deaf and blind school in Colorado Spring. Nice and huge place out I bet she will love there. Pike Peak Mountain is awesome scenery there too. Possibly SSDI will change in increase or decrease I am not sure. You can contact SS for information.

My friend who has SSDI and she live in Conn. And plan move to Colorado or New Mexico next year.

She asked me if her SSDI will change amount or same a monthly. I told her I do not know but though this post and maybe useful information??

NONE... I thought my SSDI would be upped after I moved to California from Tennessee...

The amount of SSDI does not change no matter what state you move to, but SSI can change, depending on what state you move to, your SSI checks will either increase or decrease.

The amount of SSDI does not change no matter what state you move to, but SSI can change, depending on what state you move to, your SSI checks will either increase or decrease.

You are completely RIGHT... I thought my SSDI would be upped after I relocared from Tennessee to California.. it did not change anything...

Do u work before? SSDI is for people who worked for many years while SSI is for people who does not work. SSI will increase or decrease but not SSDI, same as everywhere depend on how much they earn while they worked. My friends have SSDI moved to Fla and back, still same.

yea i worked before... i have both SSI and SSDI, i am honest, i did moved other state and it change amount...

I disagree with your post. You will get SSDI when you have over 10 years of productive employment. I had SSDI for four years, starting with California. The amount was high, but eventually I moved back to Las Vegas after I graduated from SFSU, my SSDI amount was decreased a little bit (I don't remember how much). Then, I moved to PA for a job and asked SS Office to put me on Work on Trial for 9-12 months. The amount was the same as far as I remember.

But, I guess the rules of SSDI and SSI vary in different state.

not true, i worked 2 yr and i got SSDI, SS office told me that i will get SSDI i say why? they say cuz of i worked... mmmmm

not true, i worked 2 yr and i got SSDI, SS office told me that i will get SSDI i say why? they say cuz of i worked... mmmmm

FALSE.... FALSE...anyone who works over 10 yrs can be getting SSDI.... i did tried to helped my friend to get SSDI.. they checked and found out she only worked 4 yrs... she cannot get any SSDI... I know for the facts...

I called SSA too see if any changed rules in SSDI today... it still same.... anyone must work for more than 10 years before they can get on SSDI... i KNOW FOR THE FACT....

FALSE.... FALSE...anyone who works over 10 yrs can be getting SSDI.... i did tried to helped my friend to get SSDI.. they checked and found out she only worked 4 yrs... she cannot get any SSDI... I know for the facts...

I called SSA too see if any changed rules in SSDI today... it still same.... anyone must work for more than 10 years before they can get on SSDI... i KNOW FOR THE FACT....

really? the person got aproved for SSDI recently, Last September '06, has worked for 3 yrs. And nothing changed amount moving out/in different state. SERIOUS! :)
I assume every office or coworkers are different. Like happened to me with my older daughter who is hard of hearing I applied for her, got declined. Later on, in same building but different co-workers, I applied for my younger daughter, she is deaf, I got approved, then they review my family and said my older daughter is eligible for SSI. I told her I tried and got declined-she was like HUH?! offered me to do again as appeal, then I got approved both daughters :ugh3:
Then guess what, they deposited into my bank acount, Direct Deposit, the amount of 9 months they owed, then in the letter said I have to owe them for that month cuz I got much amount for that month, huh, they gave me 9 months amount, just doesn't make sense, so after I spent all money to pay off 2 payments I told them I dont have money for next month they waived me.

this is not true. it is based on work credits per year which is based on what you earned and how recently you earned it. for one person it may be 4 yrs or less, for another 6 or more. from SSA website:

"Social Security work credits are based on your total yearly wages or self-employment income. You can earn up to four credits each year.

The amount needed for a credit changes from year to year. In 2006, for example, you earn one credit for each $970 of wages or self-employment income. When you've earned $3,880, you've earned your four credits for the year. In 2007, you will earn one credit for each $1000 of wages or self-employment income. When you've earned $4,000, you've earned your four credits for the year."

source: How Much Work Do You Need?: Disability Planner

also, the source for disability employment is the Redbook on SSA website:

Social Security Online - The Red Book

from the Redbook:

"How Do We Figure Your Payment Amount?

SSDI
We base your SSDI payment amount on the worker's lifetime average earnings covered by Social Security. The amount is adjusted each year to account for cost-of-living changes. We may reduce the amount if you receive Workers' Compensation payments (including Black Lung payments) and/or public disability benefits, for example, certain State and civil service disability benefits. Other income or resources do not affect the payment amount."

warning: do NOT depend on a local SSA office for accurate info. the workers are often poorly trained and frequently do not know the rules.

note: if blind, the rules differ significantly in your favor. this is a bias reflected on your income tax as well.

i was on SSDI w/o 10 yrs work experience. you cannot quantify it in years but in credits. it's confusing, i know.

Back