How do you tell that a person is gay or lesbian?

IF one is gay...

Exactly. I have seen slang used in the GLTD deaf community, and I hear it used in the hearing GLTB community. Knowing the slang does not make me gay. However, if I hear one gay man refer to another with the statement, "Oh, yes. He's family.", I know exactly what he is talking about.

have you ever say i had a "lover" or "partner"?

Personally, I refer to my girlfriend as my girlfriend (and eventually someday as my wife :D ), but that varies by person. I will say that I don't hear "lover" very often, but "partner" is pretty common. For undergrad, I went to a very liberal all-women's college, and it did get annoying that a lot of professors would refer to their spouses as their "partner" regardless of if they were the same or opposite sex. It made it hard to tell. By the end we were just thinking, "Look, if he's your husband, just call him your husband, nobody is offended". :roll:

Exactly. I have seen slang used in the GLTD deaf community, and I hear it used in the hearing GLTB community. Knowing the slang does not make me gay. However, if I hear one gay man refer to another with the statement, "Oh, yes. He's family.", I know exactly what he is talking about.

What does that mean?

Personally, I refer to my girlfriend as my girlfriend (and eventually someday as my wife :D ), but that varies by person. I will say that I don't hear "lover" very often, but "partner" is pretty common. For undergrad, I went to a very liberal all-women's college, and it did get annoying that a lot of professors would refer to their spouses as their "partner" regardless of if they were the same or opposite sex. It made it hard to tell. By the end we were just thinking, "Look, if he's your husband, just call him your husband, nobody is offended". :roll:

Wellsley College? Maybe they viewed it as "ownership" by stating husband? Afterall the society is patriachal enough....

What does that mean?

Means that they are part of the GLBT community.

Wellsley College? Maybe they viewed it as "ownership" by stating husband? Afterall the society is patriachal enough....

Means that they are part of the GLBT community.

Thanks, Byrdie! Beat me to the punch!:giggle:

right. i'm careful because of some narrow-minded person, i use word "friend". someone knows me very well and open minded, i use word "my boyfriend" or "my lover".

Last edited:
Well, when I was with Whisperhorse....she had short spikey, dyed blonde hair with men clothes.....lot of people assumed she's lesbain. She said: Nope, I'm not, it's just my style. She is pretty much a straight gal, but likes women only for fun. So, their sensor is whacked out of order. You cannot always assume people by their looks or how they behave. One guy that I know who acts gay, but he actually is into women, nothing more.

I recall this gem by Neil S. Plakcy (on a take of Christopher's classic poem)...

Come live with me and be my love,
And we will some new pleasures prove
Of golden sands and crystal brooks
With silken lines, and silver hooks.
There's noting that I wouldn't do
If you could be my POSSLQ.

You live with me, and I with you,
And you would be my POSSLQ.
I'll be your friend and so much more;
That's what a POSSLQ is for.

And everything we will confess;
Yes, even to the IRS.
Some day on what we both may earn,
Perhaps we'll file a joint return.
You'll share my pad, taxes, joint;
You'll share my life-up to a point!
And that you'll be so glad to do,
Because you'll be my POSSLQ.

So would it be possible, with vaque legal language, for a guy to marry his tractor?

Due to the concept of a "gaydar" being completely wrong (there's no such thing), it's virtually impossible to tell if a guy/gal is gay or straight.

As I say, "Everyone's assumed straight until proven gay/bi/curious."

Due to the concept of a "gaydar" being completely wrong (there's no such thing), it's virtually impossible to tell if a guy/gal is gay or straight.

As I say, "Everyone's assumed straight until proven gay/bi/curious."

I beg to differ on that one. It is simply a matter of being attuned to things that most don't pay attention to, plus a big dose of intuition.

I know some gay people that have malfunctioning gaydar. I have a gay friend that will ask me for confirmation on his intuitions, and I'm straight.:giggle:

And it really has nothing to do with appearance or mannerisms.

It could be your avator, it looks gay ;)

It's a lot harder these days to tell, minus the real obvious ones like guys who go out of their way acting gay and women who like to look and act like guys. Most you simply can not tell any more. Why? because many younger guys look and act guy and are not. Women are harder to tell these days too! Those who think they have gaydar are only picking out the easy ones to tell. BTW no I am not gay.

Back