Can the ignition interlock device cause car problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Premium Member
Reaction score
A friend had an ignition interlock device installed in his car a couple weeks ago because of his DUI conviction, and he swears that it is causing problems with it. He said that twice the car died while he was driving, and both times he had it towed to a shop. The first time was a burnt out CAM sensor and the second time was the EGR, I think. Including the tow charges, he said it set him back at least a thousand dollars. He furthermore claims that he asked the mechanics if the device could be the cause of the problems and they shrugged and said they didn't know.
This is driving me nuts. :lol: Can anyone in here give me the definitive answer: does the ignition interlock device cause problems with the car?

I don't know, but I know the problem could had been easily prevented by not drinking and driving in the first place. :lol:

I don't know, but I know the problem could had been easily prevented by not drinking and driving in the first place. :lol:

I felt like saying that to him, but the survival instinct prevented me. :lol:

There are two stories in each side. We really don't know. Since that driver is alcoholic, do you expect that alcoholics remembers their episodes? Perhaps he screwing the system when attempt drive it drunk once again and not remember a thing.
What goes around comes around, (shrugs)

Maybe he had mint mothwash this morning that might have causing problem with interlocking system :rofl:

Catty

Does the vehicle have previous driveability problem before the ignition interlock device (DUI Breathalyzer device) installed? If no, how do you know it is bad cam sensor or EGR? By MIL? or Mechanic told you???
The interlock device (for DUI drivers) installed inside the vehicle not in the engine compartment because the interlock device is sharing with PCM (Powertrain Computer Module) or theft deterrent where the vehicle is equipped with...But I don't know if they cause the cam sensor or EGR system problem unless no driveability problem prior to the ignition interlock device installed.

Long time ago, I worked at Chevron gas station, received a car with a no start, found out this car has an interlock device after attempting to cranking the engine (no crank). Somehow, I bypass the starter, still cranking, no start then went to check out the underdash and saw a device hooked up inside the dash but a service writer came to alert me, don't touch it, said I got a call from a customer. She forget to states that her car has the device inside the console. But the service writer called a hearie mechanic to take a care of it cuz the device requires voice and breath test. I learned something to me. Wow but Ive seen the interlock devices in the vehicles like 5 cars that towed in with no start problems. Some of them were towed to another place where they installed the devices. Aloha, dst

Long time ago, I worked at Chevron gas station, received a car with a no start, found out this car has an interlock device after attempting to cranking the engine (no crank). Somehow, I bypass the starter, still cranking, no start then went to check out the underdash and saw a device hooked up inside the dash but a service writer came to alert me, don't touch it, said I got a call from a customer. She forget to states that her car has the device inside the console. But the service writer called a hearie mechanic to take a care of it cuz the device requires voice and breath test. I learned something to me. Wow but Ive seen the interlock devices in the vehicles like 5 cars that towed in with no start problems. Some of them were towed to another place where they installed the devices. Aloha, dst

Bad luck mechanics have to use their mouth to bite and blow on the germ interlock device. :laugh2:

Bad luck mechanics have to use their mouth to bite and blow on the germ interlock device. :laugh2:

Lol, same here, one mechanic asked me to blow the breather test device. I don't understand it but I realized he has bad breather (heavy beer drinker), he fed up with a fucked breather test. I passed it for him but real gross with a dirty mouth tube. I washed my lip, and spitted out. I feel sad for the DUI drivers. Not funny. Aloha dst

I don't feel sad for DUI drivers. They shouldn't even be allowed to drive.

I feel sorry for their victims. :(

Lol, same here, one mechanic asked me to blow the breather test device. I don't understand it but I realized he has bad breather (heavy beer drinker), he fed up with a fucked breather test. I passed it for him but real gross with a dirty mouth tube. I washed my lip, and spitted out. I feel sad for the DUI drivers. Not funny. Aloha dst

You broke the law! You should not be allowed to drive! :mad:

You broke the law! You should not be allowed to drive! :mad:

:hmm: He's a mechanic. He was helping other mechanic so that they could start the car and fix whatever problem the car has.

You should blame the owner of the car for breaking the law.

:hmm: He's a mechanic. He was helping other mechanic so that they could start the car and fix whatever problem the car has.

You should blame the owner of the car for breaking the law.

Oh, mechanics are above the law. Excuuuuuse me. :giggle:

Does the vehicle have previous driveability problem before the ignition interlock device (DUI Breathalyzer device) installed? If no, how do you know it is bad cam sensor or EGR? By MIL? or Mechanic told you???
The interlock device (for DUI drivers) installed inside the vehicle not in the engine compartment because the interlock device is sharing with PCM (Powertrain Computer Module) or theft deterrent where the vehicle is equipped with...But I don't know if they cause the cam sensor or EGR system problem unless no driveability problem prior to the ignition interlock device installed.

As far as I know, his car was running like a clock previous to the incident. It is kind of funny what goes around comes around, eh?

I just wonder if the modern interlocking device have built-in voice to have a DUI driver to talk to this device then take a breather test to activate the vehicle to start? Or the device will not recognize erratic voice? How about deaf DUI driver to take voice/ breather test? Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back