Is there a sign?

I think I have mentioned that I was not signing my sentence in ASL. I signed it in English. Because I want to say it in English, not in ASL. That sentence is fun when I said it in English rather than have ASL interprets it. At least to me. But that's not always the case.
Yes, you did explain that. :)

Sometimes we "break" the rules of grammar for "fun" or emphasis. That's OK, as long as we understand the rules, and know when it's OK to break the rules, and when it's not. If you're just chatting with a friend, "breaking" the rules is OK. If you're writing a school report or conversing with a teacher or boss you should follow the rules.

I meant "er" as in interpreter. You sign "er" as in person. Not "er" as in anything else that's not person such as brighter. ASL have their own sign for brighter, probably using facial expression for that word along with sign for "light." Interpreter will say social work"er" and "er" is being replaced by "person." That is correct, yes? Correct me if I am mistaken.
Sorry, I didn't mean that you made that mistake. I've seen other people do it.

That's one cool thing about learning to love both languages, you can say it in two different way. You pick which one you want to say on that day. :)
That's fine as long as the other person understands what you're doing. If someone is learning the language you need to be careful not to confuse her.

...I think I was mocking the woman so I used double negative. That's what I meant. I mocked that woman so I used "the most stupidest..."
I understand. :) You did it for emphasis.

But I admit that it may be my mistake on my part. Probably because I did not know "most" should not be used with "est" or "er."
Just remember that rule for normal use and especially for writing. If you use grammar properly you will appear more educated, and advance further in professional life.

I will talk to my English tutor about this, because I am curious about this situation and to see what she is going to say about it.
That should be interesting. I'm impressed that you are motivated to improve your language skills.

Thank you for educating me.
Welcome. :) Thank you for being patient with our "lessons."

Well how would you sign "brighter" or anything else for that matter. How do you say something is more, ____ than another and that is the most ____ but with out using more and most? This is ____er than that. I am taller than him, and so on. What about "too" not as in "also" but as in "too much" or "he is too skinny" That guy is skinny but it is okay, but that guy is too skinny. Or "that shirt is too tight for her to wear".

southern is right....i knew something was wrong. i've used stupidest myself...."she's the stupidest person i know"....the most stupidest threw me off..anyway heh.

to answer southerns question, there is different ways....dependsing on that wonderful word we see alot in this forum, context.

if someone is fat, but someone else is fatter, you sign fatter, bigger than the first person. this is using the arms at side side, not the cheek. person 1 is ( ), person 2 is ( _ )...for example.

the other way is to use the -er sign...not the agent marker, but there is a sign indicating more. if you use a sign, such as big, flat hands, palms in tips out, moving out to size, on your dominant hand, after you have finish the initial sign, fold your hand into the "a" shape and move upwards, depending on emphasis. -est would just be strong emphasis with this sign.

however, this sign wont work with "stupid" for example. you'll get a feel for when its appropriate and when it isn't, i have no idea what the "rule" is, i just know when to use it and when to use something else.

as for "too" there's an SEE sign for it, that looks really riduculous. your emphasis or facial expressions indicate excessive.

to use your examples, he is too skinny "i'd suck in my cheecks, suck in my gut, and walk around like a model"....i dont think this would be appropriate asl, but it'd be damn funny lol.
if one guy is skinny, and another is too skinny, say 1 guy is skinny, but the other "wow" the shaking hand sign, then sign skinny again with more emphasis.
as for shirt too tight, i'd grab my shirt and pull it tight against my body with a wierd face.

now mind you, if i was in a professional situation or interpreting, i'd prolly just fingerspell "too", but my ways above are way more fun down on the dance floor.

Back