ABC Cards are part of deaf culture!

Peddlers hurt Deaf Culture. Besides, Nesmuth, aren't you the one who claimed ASL was obsolete??? Stop the :bsflag:

Nesmuth said:
Sure throw your bricks at me but this is one of the backbones of deaf culture whether you like it or not.

It's called free enterprise they'll be selling booklets not begging.

Richard
:liar: Cut it out. Since when is peddling the backbone of Deaf Culture? :bsflag:

You have your free speech and if brickbats is what you choose to use, so be it. Youre happy, I'm happy, and hundreds of deaf ABC Card sellers are happy too.

Richard

If there is no shame in selling ABC cards, why do they always run off like they are guilty whenever they approach me only to realize that I am deaf?

If they are so damn proud of selling ABC cards, they wouldnt look so guilty and hide their activities from me in a busy airport or on a street! They are :Owned:

my theory is that they dont want to be recognized and can be reported to ssa

:ugh2:

oakbluffs said:
If they make over $700 daily, then why are they so poorly-attired???

Probably because they have two different wardrobes. Who wants to shell out 65 cents to a well groomed person? :whistle:

Gemtun said:
If there is no shame in selling ABC cards, why do they always run off like they are guilty whenever they approach me only to realize that I am deaf?

if theyre running off, then theyre not deaf. Real deafs would talk to you like they do to me.

Richard

I do support Deaf ABC cards selling because sometimes you fall on very hard times then you got to do what you need to do. I have seen Deaf families, both the dad , the mom and the kids sell abc cards to earn some money to survive for food , bills and pay the rent. If ABC cards are used wisely and in the correct way then I support that. I have been with Deaf people who sold ABC cards and I understood how it works. I have no problems with it and you also need to know that some Deafies who sell ABC cards also are looking for a job and fill out job applications while they sell ABC cards. There is too much Deaf pride going around without any real consideration for our less fortunate Deaf brothers and sisters who are in a very difficult situation.

Nesmuth said:
if theyre running off, then theyre not deaf. Real deafs would talk to you like they do to me.

Richard
If they're running off, you don't know for sure because you can't get that information from them because they're running away!

gnulinuxman said:
Peddlers hurt Deaf Culture. Besides, Nesmuth, aren't you the one who claimed ASL was obsolete??? Stop the :bsflag:

I never claimed ASL was obsolete. I stated support for it was wilting away like lack of funding for ASL classes and other factors like the 'CI factor' in which most CI kids are getting reared up in ASL-free classroom environments.

The cards are one great way to help keep ASL alive. Our cards has info on ASL classes offered by our agency.

It's a win-win-win for the deaf community - ASL - our agency

Richard

Nesmuth said:
ABC cards designed by Robert Herbert Meyer of San Francisco.

http://www.deafadvocacy.org/community/freebies/des.pdf

Richard
I have seen like this kind of "card" which I don't approval of this anything. I have met people and who show the card that just like this! So I sign to that person and that person is speechless and walk away. Come on, is that a good way of living? I think that "living" is a your job of joke to encourge to people? Way to dumb go.

Nesmuth said:
I stated support for it was wilting away like lack of funding for ASL classes

Here's the questionable cause fallacy in effect. Because funding for ASL classes is diminishing you assume support for ASL is diminishing. This is ridiculous. Funding for ALL classes in California is melting away because of the ridiculous mismanagement of educational funds by our present and former governors. I came this close to having a core class in my master's program cancelled last quarter because funds are tight EVERYWHERE.

This would be like using the argument that support for disabled people is being cut off because colleges want fewer disabled people to enroll. OF COURSE this isn't true. That just happens to be where it appears to be expedient, according to Mr. Schwarzenegger, to slash funds in public schools.

Of course I'm not sure why I even bother making this post since I know you will grab at anything with a shred of truth, no matter how misleading and ultimately wrong, to make a point.

Nesmuth said:
Theyre 'working clothes' .

Richard

That's rather rude, for them to set out to deceive people that way. That's how I see it, and sad to say, this kind of thing can turn people off from helping out people who are REALLY in need. I don't care for it one bit.

And before someone blows a little thing out of proportion, we do incorporate our community business enterprise program into the package and this includes education for reporting incomes. Basically the IRS, BOE, and FTB are never left out of the whole package that comes with the abc booklets that are handed out.

www.deafadvocacy.org/education/brochures/cbep.pdf

Richard

Last edited:
Nesmuth said:
And before someone blows a little thing out of proportion, we do incorporate our community business enterprise program into the package and this includes education for reporting incomes. Basically the IRS, BOE, and FTB are never left out of the whole package that comes with the abc booklets that are handed out.

www.deafadvocacy.org/education/brochures/cbep.pdf

Richard
:ugh3:
Aren't you get tired of see "ILY" sign language all the time. I think that "ILY" is abused market to use deaf culture of spoke in love language.

Can you do better than that? :ugh2:

javapride said:
richard this is the VERY fundamental reason why we have NO respect for you.......

for one thing.........

DEAF PEDDLERS ARE THE MOST EMBARRASSING TYPE OF POSTION TO HOLD!

2ndly yr stupid in everyway for doing this.. encouraging this type of pratice you say it will be a win win situation NOT!

you want them to have a job refer them to the EDD they ll get a job before the week's out....
ur an embarrassment to the deaf community! RMFE
I agreed with you! It very MOST EMBRRASSED.. My dad and I went to store. I saw deaf man use peddlers. I gave him one dollars. I got a card peddlers. I showed my dad. My dad got MAD at me. He scold me!!! He dont want me in the future. It made him embarrassed. I say him OK!!

EagleCherokee63 said:
I agreed with you! It very MOST EMBRRASSED.. My dad and I went to store. I saw deaf man use peddlers. I gave him one dollars. I got a card peddlers. I showed my dad. My dad got MAD at me. He scold me!!! He dont want me in the future. It made him embarrassed. I say him OK!!

Well pushing this concept is getting me a lot of attention and thats good! Hope it gets londer than the NAD conference this coming weekend!

Richard

I don't mind helping a Deaf brother or a Deaf sister out unless I personally know they are on drugs then I will not give him or her money. I would refer them to Deaf AA/NA for help. If they are not on drugs and really need the money for their family, their living situation and pay the bills, food on the table then I don't see any problems. Nesumth obivously is not on drugs or anything like that and he is working for his organization and generate some good publicity in return which will help with a wide range of programs such as an employment center where Deaf people can get a job or buy a building for Deaf travelers much like a hotel but made for Deaf people to a Deaf owned and Deaf run homeless shelter etc. I am sure there are many very good and positive ideas. I can see where Nesmuth is getting criticized for it but the last thing we need are backstabbers when somebody is trying to do something good and the Deaf community almost always has to screw up a good thing but not always but I see it alots so I really hope things work out for a better positive solution.

Back