I kicked out my roommate today!

If you don't have your roommate signing a lease then you will find yourself facing the damaged or unpaid rent that your roommate left behind for you...that why it's important to make sure your roommate sign a written contract or a lease so you don't be stuck with the bill on your own or the damaged that was made by your roommates....The landlord will only come after you because your name is on the lease no one else..This happened to someone I once knew, she had to pay for all the damage her roommate did to her apartment and she was stuck with the unpaid rent after her roommate took off without a noticed...

Richard, you should give your roommate 30 days noticed before kicking him out, so he could find another place to live, if you had a written contract by stating the rules etc, and he broke the rules, still you would need to give him 30 days noticed at least...it the right thing to do...

If you're the one with the name on the lease, you have the right to kick unwanted (unsigned) roommate, 30 days notice or not. You are within your rights on your lease.

The county housing dept has been reduced to a single desk in a closet room manned by a clueless faith-based contractor comparing to 3,000 square feet of desks, activists, and attorneys 5 years ago. There's absolutely zero enforcement of the housing laws going on. The contractor herself was picked to work there because she was part of George Bush's California campaign. She knows absolutely nothing about housing codes. She spends all day in her office preening herself. And takes home about $6,000 a month.

That's why I feel safe to boot him out and not worry about him suing me.

Richard

I dont see anything wrong with having your roommate's gf/bf move in as long they agree to spilt rent in 3 ways. ::confused::

I dont see anything wrong with having your roommate's gf/bf move in as long they agree to spilt rent in 3 ways. ::confused::

Letting that happen would violate the Calif Uniform Housing Code. 3 people max for a condo the size of mine. And theres already strong enforcement on Uniform Housing Code where I live at.

Richard

Letting that happen would violate the Calif Uniform Housing Code. 3 people max for a condo the size of mine. And theres already strong enforcement on Uniform Housing Code where I live at.

Richard
Yeah, different states and cities have different housing codes.

I don't want to deal with roommates anymore. Even I am aware that I live alone in an apt in NJ and it is tough for me to budget, but I manage it somehow. I had roommates in the past, it leads me to feel about having roommates, so therefore, I decide to be alone for my privacy sakes and peace of mind.

Richard

Sure there s policy but you can get around it as long all members agree to not tattle on.

My 2 br apt allows only two person but I have one extra person who live with us and sleep in living room. We have no problem because we dont let landlord or anybody from our complex to visit us.

I guess in your situation you would rather not to take a risk.

When I first bought my condo I packed in 11 people. Had that for like 5 months. The money was nice. Then 2 moved out and one brought in his 2 teenage sons. They were running up the phone bill to like $700 a month and the dad gets drunk and mad and started yelling at them. Thats how the cops and the city got to know about my secret hotel. The city came in and gave me 5 days to boot 10 people out. It's not worth it. I didnt want a repeat.

Richard

Without 30 days notice? Your asking for trouble! You better pray that your roomate don't take legal action against you. You can lose!

Well only if he has an agreement contract with a person then is legal violation. Without agreement contract, he can throw roommates what he wants... I don't know either he fixed agreement contract with his roommates or not.

WBHarley, I'm very sorry what you had through. Did you fix agreement contract with them before let them move in?

Yea, u are right, must notice roommate to kick out or ask leave the house within 15 to 30 days... Unless they violated rules then kick out right away... I kicked out my roommate once for abuse rules and other reasons without 15 to 30 days notice like few months ago... Now, my other roommate starting bringing her boyfriend to sleep with her and advantage our utilities which I dont like that...
It all depends on the lease. If its a month to month lease, then 30 days is enough in most states. If it's a verbal agreement then it will most likely be treated as a month to month lease. If it's a written lease and the lease states only 1 tennant, then the renter broke the lease and can be evicted without 30 days notice. You should always check your local laws.

When I first bought my condo I packed in 11 people. Had that for like 5 months. The money was nice. Then 2 moved out and one brought in his 2 teenage sons. They were running up the phone bill to like $700 a month and the dad gets drunk and mad and started yelling at them. Thats how the cops and the city got to know about my secret hotel. The city came in and gave me 5 days to boot 10 people out. It's not worth it. I didnt want a repeat.

Richard

:eek3: Wow! Darn it. Were you have a hard time to deal with cleaning the bathroom? I had three students, and they never clean the toilet. What a gross!

Richard
:eek: an condo hotel? :lol: sorry but I was nearly same in your shoes. My first apt had 5 ppl including myself for couple months until a situation came, I moved out for shortly until 2 person moved out then I moved back in and other 2 moved out instantly. Then I found 2 different people to move in and worse personal problem arise, they moved out leaving me all alone and sweet for the last 2 months, I washed my clothes nearly 3 weeks each cuz I was 1/2 nude in apt most of the time lol

:eek: an condo hotel? :lol: sorry but I was nearly same in your shoes. My first apt had 5 ppl including myself for couple months until a situation came, I moved out for shortly until 2 person moved out then I moved back in and other 2 moved out instantly. Then I found 2 different people to move in and worse personal problem arise, they moved out leaving me all alone and sweet for the last 2 months, I washed my clothes nearly 3 weeks each cuz I was 1/2 nude in apt most of the time lol

Brilliant! You solved the problem for being stinky clothes and 1/2 nude in order to get rid of them.

Richard

wow, reading this happen to remind me of this;
Deaf As I Wanna Be

So why do you do this in first place, packing in 11 peeps?

Check with your local laws! I was stuck because I did ask for help from cop trying to kick roomate out 2 years ago, they said can't do must 30 days or roomate can sue me. So, that is how I know. Been there, done that.

Whats more, can't throw away others property without notice and hold for 90 days. You can be legally liable if you ignore this.

Read Nesmuth s post careful... he said he let him stay in his place in exchange of office work.. in other word... that room mate did not pay rent and other things.......nesmuth let him staying for free in order he works in his office thats all...
30 days are not necesarry in his situation... if a person do pay rent for one room ... ofc it has to be 30 day notice;....

Back