Differences in BSL and ASL?

Lissa

Premium Member
Reaction score
What are the differences in BSL and ASL

I know that the Thanks sign is the same like this :ty:

I'm just wondering what else

This is a question for JClarke who is the master of all sign languages! :P

I know that, I mean the differences in sign e.g because words in ASL are totally different words in BSl

367px-Bsl.png

I know a few signs in BSL though I'm not very fluent in it. ASL sign for mother is the five handshape at chin. In BSL, it's a fist held over your heart. One hearing person who knew BSL came to MSSD one day and showed me the sign for America. It's signed with all four fingers on thumb and you make a chewing motion while you place the handshape near your mouth. I asked if it was because Americans chew tobacco. (I had a roomaate who chewed tobacco and one of my teachers was always making jokes about tobacco chewers.) She said no, it's because Americans chew gum. :doh:

Iv never heard of those signs in BSL that you described. and I use bsl

Mother is usually signed as m for mother or the first 3 fingers on the side of the head. america is all fingers interlocked and a circle motion

It is the same for BSL, iv just not heard of it, maybe Overthepond has seen some like this

I learn more teach BSL. I interest about to sign language BSL is wonderful I am glad of you more found image is teach you more improve really help you more help teach more improve.. that is sound great.

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to proper location from General Chat to Sign Language & Oralism. :)

:ty: Chevy!

I'v always been interested in ASL since I watched a ASL film when I was younger about 14

No Chevy57... BSL has few signs that combines with the ASL, and BSL is very similar to AUSLAN, here. AUSLAN has few signs that are the same in ASL. BSL and AUSLAN uses two hands in fingerspelling, and ASL uses one hand to fingerspell but ASL uses two hands to sign, not fingerspelling.

Right, JClarke, I had met some deaf people from United Kingdom during Deafway II event last several years ago. I noticed that they have some BSL, very similar to ASL. I understood clear to read thier signs.

Back