RIP Google Wave

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google Wave, a product once heralded by many as a massively disruptive communication tool (heck, invites were even selling for $70 on eBay), is no more.

In a blog post this afternoon, Google says they “don’t plan to continue developing Wave as a standalone product,” though the code for it will remain available as open source.

The move isn’t much of a surprise; adoption never seemed to materialize for Google Wave -- even after it dropped its invite-only status -- as users struggled to find meaningful use cases for the service (though we found a few).

What’s most interesting about Wave, perhaps, is the spectacular rate of its rise and fall. It was easily one of the most hyped products of 2009, but within months of its launch, the buzz had almost completely disappeared.

The product might’ve been more successful had it been integrated into Gmail (basic e-mail notifications weren’t even part of the launch), though Google hasn’t had much success with Buzz in that department either.

In any event, Wave represents another disappointment in Google’s long line of attempts at social, an area in which the company is now reportedly eyeing a completely new approach. Shutting down Wave, it would seem, is a logical step in moving on.

RIP Google Wave - Yahoo! News

:bye: Google Wave

Too many social networks like facebook, twitter, myspace, etc. so Google wave won't make it. Google should create google wave before facebook exist.

yea I was wondering when would they kill it. I would never approve of this in the beginning if I were the boss. In fact - I would fire them if they came up with this to me.

Google wave isn't even the same thing as Twitter or Facebook. It failed because there was no notifications systems via SMS, apps or e-mails.

But to be honest, it was nice to play with, but I couldn't be arsed to maintain it.

Too many social networks like facebook, twitter, myspace, etc. so Google wave won't make it. Google should create google wave before facebook exist.

no. that wasn't the case. it's because Google Wave was too confusing and clumsy. I couldn't figure it out.

Eh? Wave isn't a social network...it's real time collaborate tool.

why bother? That's what FB and AD chat are for

Tell me about it.

WIth no Google Wave on my BlackBerry, I couldn't be bothered to go on my computer to check. Either way, why bother using Google Wave, when you can invite a bunch of people to a single room on AIM?

I am neglecting AIM/Twitter right now because I can't be arsed to go on my computer. Hope that new smartphone will come in.

Tell me about it.

WIth no Google Wave on my BlackBerry, I couldn't be bothered to go on my computer to check. Either way, why bother using Google Wave, when you can invite a bunch of people to a single room on AIM?

I am neglecting AIM/Twitter right now because I can't be arsed to go on my computer. Hope that new smartphone will come in.

Google Wave in BB? you must be very lonely.

It's not a bother at all, maybe we want to try new things? To me I like the way Google innovate their products.

Google wave isn't even the same thing as Twitter or Facebook. It failed because there was no notifications systems via SMS, apps or e-mails.

But to be honest, it was nice to play with, but I couldn't be arsed to maintain it.

Are you sure?
New! Wave notifications

no. that wasn't the case. it's because Google Wave was too confusing and clumsy. I couldn't figure it out.

It's you. It's perfect clear to me and understand.

What he said.

Wave wasn't meant for sociable but collaborate and projects and it became a social network when it got out of its beta stage.

The Faceook "LIke" feature and Twitter's "Retweet" pretty much destroyed any incentive home users may have for Google Wave, really.

Sad, but that's business.

Back