Reaction score
Decade Average Gas Price (per gallon)
1950 - 1959 $0.19 to $0.26
1960 - 1969 $0.31 to $0.35
1970 - 1979 $0.36 to a little less than $1
1980 - 1989 About $1
1990 - 1999 About $1.10
2000 - 2009 $1.65 to $4

Between 1984 to 1986, gas price was between $1.25 to $1.75 then later dropped to 79 cents in 1988 to 1989. I recalled that price when I rode Moped and filled tank in 1984. In 1989. 79 cents a gallon was so cheap because I filled gas on 1977 Toyota Corolla for $6. 1967 Chevy C10 pickup, $12.

Catty

In the 1970s the price of gas was $0.36 till price increased under $1 because reason of oil crisis from Arab countries.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Seems that the gas prices didnt increase much until after 2002 or so.

In the 1970s the price of gas was $0.36 till price increased under $1 because reason of oil crisis from Arab countries.

Yes, I remmy Oil Crisis back in 1973. I was with my dad when we went to line up for gas. I can't remember exactly the price of gas but yes it was less than $1.

Catty

Yes, I remmy Oil Crisis back in 1973. I was with my dad when we went to line up for gas. I can't remember exactly the price of gas but yes it was less than $1.

Catty

Right. During I was young, I can afford cheap gas at 39 cents before 1973. I had paid $5 for fill up gas for some V8 big car. Now I paid $45 for my 4 line SUV. :( I wish to be back to the past.

And in the 50's you got your oil checked and window cleaned and the gas was pumped for you too! You did not have to pay more for this service , how we to pay extra to for it! I pump my own gas!

My impression is, if you're less than 30yrs old, you're not invited to post here. everyone's talking about 50's, 60's and 70's. It kind of makes me feel like a toddler

Arbayong said:
My impression is, if you're less than 30yrs old, you're not invited to post here. everyone's talking about 50's, 60's and 70's. It kind of makes me feel like a toddler

Dont forget mid 30s. I dont remember my life in 1970s. I was only a toddler. :-p

I totally disagree with you! There are people here of all ages! I am do not always up to date on what people talk about but I still free to to talk about thing on my mind. I like that about AllDEAF , ages does not matter here!

And in the 50's you got your oil checked and window cleaned and the gas was pumped for you too! You did not have to pay more for this service , how we to pay extra to for it! I pump my own gas!

Olden day service still around. Sinclair Gas station in Mission, KS still have full service. Owner been running his biz for 52 years.

Catty

Glenn said:
I remember paying < $1 a gallon about ten years ago.

Me too. I paid 1.03 a galln in 2001 once. It only cost me 12 bucks to fill up my old Honda.

Me too. I paid 1.03 a galln in 2001 once. It only cost me 12 bucks to fill up my old Honda.
Once? What was the special occasion?

I've been driving since 1973. I remember gas for under $1 at full-service stations. In 1973, I had a VW bug convertible, automatic, so I spent very little money on gas.

I remember what a shock it was when the price of gas hit $1. Gas stations had to tape paper prices on the pumps because they didn't even make them with enough spaces for gallon amounts over 99 cents.

If high prices weren't enough, they also had a plan for rationing gas. If your license plate ended in an even number, you could get gas only on even number days. Odd number plates got gas on odd number days.

Also, to get gas, sometimes we had to wait in long lines that stretched onto the roads. Some people ran out of gas and had to push their cars along to the pumps. Sometimes the stations ran out of gas. Whoa! That was bad!

Reba said:

Once? What was the special occasion?

Lol it happened for a short time to that low.

Some gas stations don't allow you to fill your own tank due to state or local law, such as Oregon. Not quite "full-service."

Some gas stations don't allow you to fill your own tank due to state or local law, such as Oregon. Not quite "full-service."

Yeah, I remember arguing with a service attentant and we wanted to fill it up ourselves, lol. I noticed some of them are doing a dirty job.

Back