Abandoned Buildings & Sites

yizuman

Reaction score
I find these photographs very interesting, haunting even. While it looks depressing at best, but it's also history. Places tells tales & stories, large and small.

Take some examples....

a99.jpg

These days the only things that land on Hashima Island are the shits of passing seagulls. An hour or so’s sail from the port of Nagasaki, the abandoned island silently crumbles. A former coal mining facility owned by Mitsubishi Motors

varosha1.jpg

Hard to imagine....Varosha, Famagusta. Tourist area that has been abandoned since the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974.

Hashima_Island_-_Battleship_Island_3.jpg

Hashima Island, a former coal mining facility. it was once the most densely populated place on earth, packing over 13,000 people into each square kilometre of its residential high-risers. It operated from 1887 until 1974, after which the coal industry fell into decline and the mines were shut for good. With their jobs gone and no other reason to stay in this mini urban nightmare, almost overnight the entire population fled back to the mainland, leaving most of their stuff behind to rot.

pripyat-ukraine-1.jpg

Former City of Chernobyl, entire city abandoned since the explosion of it's nuclear plant. It's still too dangerous to live reoccupy there as the city is still loaded with radiation. Few brave to venture there to tour it and take pictures.

chernobyl55pripyatghosttownswimming.jpg

chernobyl10.jpg

2446391227_e51457b0e9.jpg

abandonded+skyscraper+bangkok.jpg

No prizes for guessing where this beauty stands.
Small hint. You can see it in Bangkok if you're down by the river.
Here's a link if you want some more info................Bangkok, Thailand : Abandoned Skyscraper - Sathorn Unique Aint Worth Shit Yo | PERTH AUSTRALIA - 6 0 0 0 T I M E S
Place kinda reminds me of a scene from the movie Blade Runner.

oradour-sur-glane.jpg

Oradour-sur-Glane, was destroyed and 642 of its inhabitants were massacred by Nazis in 1944.

a170_oradour%7E0.jpg

0.jpg

When the Soviet Union collapsed, government didn’t have much funds to support some small cities around strategically import objects. People of these cities were left all by themselves. Nobody could support them because any communication with this places terminated after the army decided that they now don’t have money to support those objects.
People had to leave their places and move. Some were lucky to find their place under a sun of the Army of new Russian Federation, some less fortunate had to leave such places without any hope to find a new home, just because the shops stopped working, water stopped coming out of the facet and nobody cared about them any more.

10%7E2.jpg

33.jpg

3352644798_e93f9400b7.jpg

Abandoned military hospital in Antwerp

United-Artists-Theater-in-006.jpg

The ruined Spanish-Gothic interior of the United Artists Theater in Detroit. The cinema was built in 1928 by C Howard Crane, and finally closed in 1974.

old-Cambodian-temple-006.jpg

This photo of an old Cambodian temple proves that derelict can be beautiful.

Some looks depressing and yet can look beautiful, depends on how one looks at it.

Yiz

agreed. I'd love to explore the abandoned site. If I were ever in Chicago - I'm gonna explore this "ghost town" near Chicago. I can't remember the name....

Try Centralia!

Silent Hill games and movie used a similar setting.

Try Centralia!

Silent Hill games and movie used a similar setting.

lol I was actually thinking about that last week. Was thinking of gathering a group of friends to go there :Ohno:

chernobyl55pripyatghosttownswimming.jpg

This remind me of Condemned Criminal Origins at blood pool.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aXqpF3R0FU]YouTube - Condemned Criminal Origins Walkthrough - Part 29 "Blood" Pool[/ame] *skip to 4:45*

Here's more of Pripyat, Ukraine, the city near the Chernobyl Power Plant that exploded in 1986... What's so creepy is what looks like today's modern city, completely abandoned, unlivable due to still high radiation that could take hundreds of years for it to dissipate. It's even deep into the soil and surrounded by still dead trees.

pripyat1.jpg

pripyat2.jpg

pripyat3.jpg

pripyat5.jpg

Look at the burnt face of the doll, a sign of radiation. Geez!!

pripyat6.jpg

Creepy but sad at the same time. Place obviously been ransacked, bastards.

pripyat7.jpg

Ewww, I hate to think how this area smells from rotting paper.

pripyat8.jpg

Opened crate of gas masks left strewn all over the floor. Not sure of the history behind it, whether or not someone thought gas mask may protect them from the fallen radiation from the nearby plant, but it looks weird nonetheless.

Kadykchan, Russia

Kadykchan is a ghost town that was built during the World War II for the workers of the coal mines and their families. In 1996, 6 men died as a result of explosion in a coal mine and the mines were closed. 12000 inhabitants were evacuated to other places leaving the town empty and silent.

kadu1.jpg

kadu2.jpg

kadu3.jpg

kadu4.jpg

kadu5.jpg

kadu6.jpg

kadu7.jpg

Oradour-sur-Glane, France

Oradour-sur-Glan is a town in west-central France. The original village was destroyed on June 10, 1944, when 642 of its inhabitants were murdered by a German Waffen-SS company. A new village was built post-war on a nearby site and the original has been maintained as a memorial.

oradour1.jpg

Yiz

TNa5N.jpg

Found another interesting image of an abandoned theater.

Location unknown at this time...

Yiz

To these russian places that happened in 1986, is it still not safe to go anywhere near that let alone people spectulate the history behind it?

Back