Haiti Earthquake in Photos **graphic image triggered**

DeafCaver

Reaction score
Photos taken shortly after the earthquake showing the devestation ... *caution* some blood and injured including the dead. The last photo is most poignant.
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201..._in_haiti.html
Another photo essay... http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured...uake-in-haiti/

Interesting video of a dog sensing an earthquake just moments before it happens... not in haiti but still probably what happened on the island in the city. See how dog just tears on outta there!
[yt]FV4EMzyJsqU&[/yt]

Another angle...
[yt]34aWabCkrgk&[/yt]

Clicked to link other website but nothing!!!

I looked at video with title. This video is not from Haiti. That was happen in Calif.

Same here.... websites aren't working.

Cats could sense the earthquake few days before it happen, by their odd behavior such as running in circle or hiding in the dark spot.

1989 Earthquake in SF, Calif.

I remembered that my co-worker explain me about baby tried to crawl under the toy car before start quake.

Please be patient to wait until you will see baby.

[yt]FW-TkpvKPl0[/yt]

At :38 second, there was a lady trying to arm-wing to keep herself balanced - hilarious!

First U.S. military aid reaches quake-stricken Haiti
Washington (CNN) -- With the first of its flights touching down in earthquake-devastated Haiti late Wednesday afternoon, the U.S. began deploying military planes, ships and ground troops to the Caribbean nation.

One of two planes carrying a 30-person assessment team arrived at Port-au-Prince airport about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. The team will assess what Haiti needs to cope with the immediate aftermath of the disaster.

One of the team's first jobs is to get the airport working to a point where it can handle all the flights coming in from around the world filled with people and supplies to help the victims of the quake.

The U.S. Southern Command is leading the Department of Defense's response. Gen. P.K. Keen, deputy commander of the Southern Command, was in Haiti when the quake struck and has seen the situation at the airport.

"He says the runway is functional, but the tower doesn't have communications capability. The passenger terminal ... has structural damage to it, so we don't know what the status of it is, " said Gen. Douglas Fraser, head of U.S. Southern Command. "So we have a group going in to make sure we can gain and secure the airfield and operate from it, because that's one of those locations we think we're going to have a lot of the immediate effort -- from an international basis -- going into."

The group includes a unit of U.S. Air Force Special Operations Forces that departed Hurlburt Field in Florida on Wednesday afternoon. They include airmen and equipment to set up temporary air traffic control systems as well as search-and-rescue experts.

Fraser also has ordered the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson to steam toward Haiti. The ship was at sea near Virginia when the quake hit and as it sails south, it will stop at Mayport, Florida, Naval Station to pick up supplies.

The Carl Vinson "had a very small complement of aircraft on it when it was at sea," Fraser told reporters at the Pentagon on Wednesday. "As ... it passes through or by Mayport, we're going to provision it with as much capability as we can, primarily looking at helicopter capacity ... because we need to be able to get around the country."

The carrier is able to provide needed helicopters for lifting aid from the ship into the country as well as moving construction equipment to places where the machines are needed to clear rubble.

The U.S. Navy also activated the hospital ship USNS Comfort, based in Baltimore, Maryland, on Wednesday. While the Southern Command has not officially asked for the ship, the Navy activated it proactively expecting it will be requested.

The ship takes up to five days to prepare after being notified. It could be ready at the latest by Monday. The ship is staffed by 64 crew and 560 hospital personnel, and when ready it will sail toward Haiti in case it is requested.

Southern Command has ordered a unit of about 2,000 Marines to head to Haiti. The Marines will deploy aboard a large deck amphibious ship, which would give the military more helicopters to work with in Haiti. It also has a large medical facility that could help with treating the injured. It's medical facilities are comparable to the facilities aboard the Comfort, and it is possible only one of the two ships would be sent.

The Army said a brigade of roughly 3,500 members of the 82nd Airborne Division is on notice that they may soon be sent to Haiti. The 82nd sent members to New Orleans, Louisiana, in the aftermath of the Hurricane Katrina.

As promised by Obama for immediate military aid to Haiti, here it is... Proud to know that we Americans are there to help them - whatever the cost.

'Heroes' actor searching for parents after earthquake
t1larg.jimmy.jean.louis.gi.jpg

(CNN) -- Haitian native and "Heroes" cast member Jimmy Jean-Louis was searching for his elderly parents in Haiti on Wednesday afternoon after a powerful earthquake struck the nation. Jean-Louis learned that a house he had grown up in collapsed, killing several of his relatives.

"I have not slept yet. The second house that I grew up in was down, and some relatives have died, from what I have been told," Jean-Louis said Wednesday. "I haven't been able to reach my parents. I have heard that they are OK, but I do not know what is going on around them."

Jean-Louis was born in Petionville, Haiti, where he grew up without electricity or running water. He moved to Paris, France, when he was 12 to pursue a modeling career and supported his parents by sending money home since he started acting nearly 20 years ago.

He is the founder of Hollywood Unites for Haiti, a nonprofit organization whose original mission was to provide sports and cultural education to underprivileged youth on the island. The group is mobilizing for disaster relief after a magnitude-7 earthquake struck Tuesday.

The actor heard about the quake moments after the news broke. For several hours, he was unable to get in touch with anyone on the ground in Haiti. Late Tuesday, he reached a friend who is the local director of Hollywood Unites for Haiti.

"He was stuck in the chaos, and he was supposed to give me complete details about what was going on on the ground and with my family, but all he could say was that the house was down and that some people from the house died," Jean-Louis said. "I'm trying everyone on their cell phones and on their house phones, my parents' friends and the people in their neighborhood, and I have been unable to speak with one person who is close to them."

Jean-Louis, who is best known as "The Haitian" on the NBC series "Heroes," returned from Haiti only a couple of weeks ago after spending the holidays with his parents. He was planning to return this month but will now be traveling much sooner to provide relief aid.

"I am going to try to get in, but I am going to try to understand the situation first to see how I can best help," Jean-Louis said. "The plan is to at some point visit, and right now, I am trying to be as productive as I can be here."

Jean-Louis and Hollywood Unites for Haiti are encouraging people looking to help to send money instead of goods at the moment.

"People should understand that sending donations of items and goods will be difficult right now because we will be bombarded and have no way to distribute them," Jean-Louis said.

"I don't think people have any idea how terrible this is because of the circumstances on the ground in Haiti and the lack of the infrastructure. There are no roads, and it is going to be extremely difficult for help to reach people."

I pray that he can find them.... :grouphug:

I've been through several earthquakes. You usually get a sense of earthquake coming. It starts with tiny tremors and just few seconds later, it shakes violently. I literally thought I was going to be killed but thanks to California's strict regulations on building codes, so many people survived. Without the CA regulations, several times more people would have died.

Did you guys notice how in the first vid of the first post the dog sensed the quake at least 5 seconds before it hit?

Hmm I wonder if the dog is okay.

Yea alotta animals can sense some things ahead before humans do.

sounds like its one of the worst earth quakes ever to hit, maybe?

During earthquakes, its always MUCH safer to be outside than inside, obviously.

President Obama sends help to Haiti almost immediately after they heard the news which is a good thing...compared to ex president bush, he only sent help afew days later after the flood hit new orleans but yeah their help wasn't really good enough.

so I dont know about how much help Obama is giving but at least he sent help right on time after it happened.

Back