Grammar

As far as ASL grammar is concerned, though, there is no one rule that will explain ASL grammar completely. Just as there is no one rule that will explain English grammar, or Spanish grammar, or LSF competely. Language is just not that simple.

The average brain processes immediately an important word, subject or topic, and can "fill in" what may follow. For example, in English, I could say "I'm going to the store. Do you need anything?"

However, in ASL, I would sign that as "store, going" (and point to myself). The ASL end-user sees "store" and immediately knows "store" is the focal point of this sentence, and can start to process what may follow - whether it may be whether that person is going to be asked if he/she wants to go with, or is going to be asked if he/she needs anything. Ultimately, it makes communication that much faster.

why is it backward anyway? Why can't they put it in the order of English?

correct me if I'm wrong - ASL is a very visual language therefore you must think visually in a spatial sense. I do have a trouble myself with this as well. I'm currently thinking ASL in a PSE sense but I try to keep this in mind -

You need to paint the picture first to create the context for others. first think of an object and then talk about it by describing more and more about it as you go. It's similar to french structure in a crude sense - Object-Subject-Verb. ASL = a visual language... meaning describe as much as you can. details details details!!

for ie:
That man <pointing at him or imaginary space that you created that represents the man you're talking about>. (if you know his name, fingerspell it)
white skin. short hair. thin mustache. blue jacket.
<point at him or imaginary space> he deaf. very nice!

hope that somewhat helps.....

You need to paint the picture first to create the context for others. first think of an object and then talk about it by describing more and more about it as you go. It's similar to french structure in a crude sense - Object-Subject-Verb. ASL = a visual language... meaning describe as much as you can. details details details!!

that's because one of the first sign teachers in america was french, so asl is closer to french sign than it is to british sign. :)

asl sentence structure seems to make more sense than english sentence structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as ASL grammar is concerned, though, there is no one rule that will explain ASL grammar completely. Just as there is no one rule that will explain English grammar, or Spanish grammar, or LSF competely. Language is just not that simple.

French is just about there. While learning it from middle school to college... so many dang rules you'd THINK the French have it set in stone for everything! (No wonder it used to be my major and now it's ASL!) :lol:

why is it backward anyway? Why can't they put it in the order of English?

ASL, if I got my linguistics right, is based heavily on French Sign Language (LSF???), which finds roots in home languages there and also in French. French follows a topic comment type. That would make a phrase like "We are going to a meeting tomorrow" become in ASL: TOMORROW MEETING WE GO.

That, and English is backwards from dang near every language in the books right now.

ASL, if I got my linguistics right, is based heavily on French Sign Language (LSF???), which finds roots in home languages there and also in French. French follows a topic comment type. That would make a phrase like "We are going to a meeting tomorrow" become in ASL: TOMORROW MEETING WE GO.

That, and English is backwards from dang near every language in the books right now.

I've always heard from people learning English as their second language that it was very difficult...

ASL order reminds me of Spanish-- but that makes sense reading your comment sculleywr...

Well, for stricter ASL grammar, the "go" would come before the "we". But you are correct that it does have similarities to French and Spanish. The differences would lie mainly in the fact that ASL evolved to be processed in a time oriented and spatial manner as it is visual, and spoken languages evolved to be processed auditorily in a linear manner. The brain processes visual stimuli differently than it does aural stimuli. So while there are similarities in spoken French grammar, and ASL, you will also find differences, just as you will find differences in spoken French and FLS.

Just so I have a much better idea of the grammar, how would you translate something like "I saw you crying"? When there's multiple verbs, I get confused.

Cry, you, see (past), me. Or you could also leave off the me, and simply end with a nod of the head. When you sign "see", you also need to use directionality.

Back