Can the ignition interlock device cause car problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real solution to this problem is very simple and yes it is straightforwarding.

The answer is, don't drink and drive.

This guy shouldn't complain at all, why? that is because judge had gave this person opportunity to prove that he learn lesson, instead of revoking drivers license. Simple put, the only solution to this problem is not to drink and drive. If he continues to complain, then the lesson were never learn anyway.

I just wonder if the modern interlocking device have built-in voice to have a DUI driver to talk to this device then take a breather test to activate the vehicle to start? Or the device will not recognize erratic voice? How about deaf DUI driver to take voice/ breather test? Just a thought

This friend is deaf. I saw him use the equipment: it is a handheld black receiver-type with a glass panel which reads, "Device loading, please wait..." Then "Now blow." He blows a long breath (dang, longggg breath) and then sucks inward sharply when the receiver clicks. It then reads out "Analyzing..." And then "Test passed." He says has has to repeat the test about 20 minutes each time he drives, and he looks for red led lights to blink atop a small black box mounted on top of the dashboard. He says anyone who is a passenger with him could blow into the device while he is driving, so the system is easy to beat. :roll:
I have no idea if he does use a sober passenger, though, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Sure, but if passenger did this, then he can be charged as accessory to crime and anyone being an accessory gets worst punishment. Worth it? You can figure out.

This friend is deaf. I saw him use the equipment: it is a handheld black receiver-type with a glass panel which reads, "Device loading, please wait..." Then "Now blow." He blows a long breath (dang, longggg breath) and then sucks inward sharply when the receiver clicks. It then reads out "Analyzing..." And then "Test passed." He says has has to repeat the test about 20 minutes each time he drives, and he looks for red led lights to blink atop a small black box mounted on to of the dashboard. He says anyone who is a passenger with him could blow into the device while he is driving, so the system is easy to beat. :roll:
I have no idea if he does use a passenger, though, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Sure, but if passenger did this, then he can be charged as accessory to crime and anyone being an accessory gets worst punishment. Worth it? You can figure out.

Yeah, I know. I wouldn't dream of it. :roll:

This friend is deaf. I saw him use the equipment: it is a handheld black receiver-type with a glass panel which reads, "Device loading, please wait..." Then "Now blow." He blows a long breath (dang, longggg breath) and then sucks inward sharply when the receiver clicks. It then reads out "Analyzing..." And then "Test passed." He says has has to repeat the test about 20 minutes each time he drives, and he looks for red led lights to blink atop a small black box mounted on top of the dashboard. He says anyone who is a passenger with him could blow into the device while he is driving, so the system is easy to beat. :roll:
I have no idea if he does use a sober passenger, though, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Oh thank you for explaining better. Same as I did it, real pain in the ass. I blowed it first try and failed then my tech explained to me to inhale more deep then blow the mouthpiece. I tried it again, still failed again. Real hate it.
I remmby I saw the vehicle was towed again and send out to the place where they installed the devices. I asked a mechanic who diagnosed this vehicle, Why tow again?, told
me that he think the device is inoperative, he doesn't want to spend his time to diagnose no start condition after he verified a DUI driver to ask him if this car have driveability / no start problem, he said no.
I haven't see the vehicle w/ interlock device in 6 or 7 years. I won't touch a fucked interlock device again. Aloha dst

I dunno if sober passenger would let him drive drunk :dunno:

There are two stories in each side. We really don't know. Since that driver is alcoholic, do you expect that alcoholics remembers their episodes? Perhaps he screwing the system when attempt drive it drunk once again and not remember a thing.
What goes around comes around, (shrugs)
I was thinking the same thing.

I knew a guy who had something like that installed in his car. Whenever he went out drinking with his girlfriend, he would make sure she didn't drink so that she would be the one to start the car for him. :roll:

I was thinking the same thing.

I knew a guy who had something like that installed in his car. Whenever he went out drinking with his girlfriend, he would make sure she didn't drink so that she would be the one to start the car for him. :roll:

That's how you keeps roll to everyone all times? :lol:

A friend had an ignition interlock device installed in his car a couple weeks ago because of his DUI conviction, and he swears that it is causing problems with it. He said that twice the car died while he was driving, and both times he had it towed to a shop. The first time was a burnt out CAM sensor and the second time was the EGR, I think. Including the tow charges, he said it set him back at least a thousand dollars. He furthermore claims that he asked the mechanics if the device could be the cause of the problems and they shrugged and said they didn't know.
This is driving me nuts. :lol: Can anyone in here give me the definitive answer: does the ignition interlock device cause problems with the car?
...oh yes...since I had My device installed, I have had nothing but trouble with My '93 Ford Explorer...I am an experienced aviation, industrial, and automotive mechanic...the problems I saw ranged from warm up, through drivability, mostly fuel delivery and engine management problems...one day, I had finally had enough and started removing the thing...I was aghast when I went under the hood and dash and saw all the wires they had carelessly cut and taped back to make it "look good"...at least they used e tape to hide their dirty deeds...I yanked the thing out and flung the whole stupid mess on My porch, where it remains...My truck now runs flawlessly...these guys have gotten into their market the same way gun control laws have gotten out of hand...I don't know what the DMV will do to Me when they find out, but You can bet "BIG BROTHER" will get the best of Me...I make it a point to drive completely sober, just in case I do get pulled over...so they won't have any ammunition...would love to hear anyone else's woes with similar devices...thread here, or kennethjhoffmanjr@yahoo, or gmail.com

...oh yes...since I had My device installed, I have had nothing but trouble with My '93 Ford Explorer...I am an experienced aviation, industrial, and automotive mechanic...the problems I saw ranged from warm up, through drivability, mostly fuel delivery and engine management problems...one day, I had finally had enough and started removing the thing...I was aghast when I went under the hood and dash and saw all the wires they had carelessly cut and taped back to make it "look good"...at least they used e tape to hide their dirty deeds...I yanked the thing out and flung the whole stupid mess on My porch, where it remains...My truck now runs flawlessly...these guys have gotten into their market the same way gun control laws have gotten out of hand...I don't know what the DMV will do to Me when they find out, but You can bet "BIG BROTHER" will get the best of Me...I make it a point to drive completely sober, just in case I do get pulled over...so they won't have any ammunition...would love to hear anyone else's woes with similar devices...thread here, or kennethjhoffmanjr@yahoo, or gmail.com
...oh, and one more thing...it only takes a drink or two to get a DUI...I read many mean messages from "greater than thou" people out there...people with unregistered weapons...people who don't pay taxes...people whom perform lewd sexual acts...people who 'whoop ass', and never see a Judge...this is America...land of the free...Home of the brave...watch where You point Your finger...cause You might get it bent back at You

I don't know, but I know the problem could had been easily prevented by not drinking and driving in the first place. :lol:

Captain Obvious - I know my comment is rude but quite honestly I find your post to be quite condescending.

Do you really think I am that stupid that I would not be able to figure out the obvious?

Hmmmm let me see, if I don't drink and drive then I won't get a DUI, why didn't I think of that?

Please have a little consideration.

Thank-you

Captain Obvious - I know my comment is rude but quite honestly I find your post to be quite condescending.

Do you really think I am that stupid that I would not be able to figure out the obvious?

Hmmmm let me see, if I don't drink and drive then I won't get a DUI, why didn't I think of that?

Please have a little consideration.

Thank-you

First of all, this thread is from 2013.

Second of all, did you see the little laughing face, that says he is joking.

I see you only have one post as of this moment so just have little fun while reading. It is not all serious here.

By the way, Welcome!

I felt like saying that to him, but the survival instinct prevented me. :lol:

I am glad you restrained yourself form your opinion. I can't believe some of the condescending posts. I and others are having issues with the device in our car. If all you have to offer is your opinion then it may be wise to keep opinions to yourself. :topic::topic::topic::roll:

2910225-thread_necrord.jpg

First of all, this thread is from 2013.

Second of all, did you see the little laughing face, that says he is joking.

I see you only have one post as of this moment so just have little fun while reading. It is not all serious here.

By the way, Welcome!

Thank-you I know I over reacted so I apologize. I am just very frustrated. Yes I made a bad choice and I am doing the right thing by meeting my commitment to the state to complete certain requirement and pay associated fines, but my gosh it is not fair that I am being crucified and looked down upon and basically get the attitude you got the DUI so your fault just deal with it.

I have been searching Google to find out information. That is how I came across your blog. I didn't even pay attention to dates. I have had nothing but problems since the day that device was installed in my car with the latest being my electrical system. I have a push button start and the original install was not done correctly which caused me to go into a lock out every week and having to make a trip every week to the service center to have the device switched out with the device still improperly installed. No one at that company had a clue. Than by some stroke of luck I just happened to be speaking with this technician who was familiar with push button start ignitions. He never got formal training his knowledge came from dealing with the wife of a friend who had a push button start Nissan. I have an Infiniti. In all fairness I am only responsible for my penalty and fines that were imposed on me as payment to the county I live for breaking the law.I don't deserve all of the other stuff I have been dealing with.

The latest issue I am now dealing with is my electrical system. I am being told that the issue is with my navigation system pulling 6 amps instead of the normal 1/2 - 1 amp. This resulted a dead battery. I bought a new battery since it was about that time. However, after spending 8 hours in a parking garage on the phone with these people who did absolutely nothing to help me my issue was still not resolved even with the new battery. I stayed overnight at my son's to wake up the next day to start over again with trying to get help to find my brand new battery now dead. This ended up costing me towing to the service center and still no resolution.

I had no electrical issues with my car until this device was installed. The guy at the service center tells me it is not the interlock device it was my navigation system and radio. However, when I went to pick up my car today I have no power going to my navigation or radio, none of the controls for the A/C etc. are lit nor do they work, however, the controls are set to heat and I can hear it blowing yet I can not change the temp or turn it off.

I am desperately trying to find others who have experienced issues that resulted from being forced to have a interlock device installed and what liabilities are these interlock device companies responsible should they screw up your car.

Right now the service center says it is my car. I want to find some way to prove issues were caused by the device so I can hold them accountable for all of these expenses resulting from their incompetency. :roll:

Did you get your car serviced regularly before they installed the system?

Maybe they would have records of your car working fine up till system was installed?

Sure, I love how people claim that you broke the law so YOU shouldn't be allowed to drive anymore, but what if you were not over the legal limit and the police take your rights away from you to breathlyze at the time of arrest? So you are saying that things like that don't happen and the police are always right. Good one. I read these blogs and just wonder about some people and their judgements when there is ONE judge above all. So let me ask, how nice is it living such a perfect life? Never breaking the law or being an upstanding citizen? You must be so proud of yourself. I'm sorry to anyone that has lost a loved one due to a drunk driver, I really am. For I cam empathize because I myself have also fallen victim to a drunk driver killing one of my friends. The question was asked not for Smart ass remarks, buthe for the longevity of a vehicle. Not everyone convicted of a DUI is guilty, try living in Collier County Florida one of the wealthiest counties in the whole US. The police around here plant shit in your car if they don't like you. It is the true epitome of law enforcement down here. Not long ago I called a police officer to my house because there is a homeless camp behind my house in the woods, the officer replied to me and I quote, " How do I not know your landlord approved of them staying back there?" That was the stupidest thing I had ever heard anyone say. Then he claimed he was gonna go out back and " try" to make them leave. For God's sake it is a wooded area. I have work on a crisis unit, I know how sick people can be. I have children and would be devastated if any thing was to ever happen to them. The police officer assured me he would take care of it, we'll it was nearing dawn and getting dark. I watched from my back yard for that police officer to vacate the premises. I waited and I watched and I saw absolutely no sign of a flashlight or a police officer go to the back. So for all of you that live in a fantasy world, where the police are here to Serve and Protect, where you are all just victims against drunk drivers. You can actually shove it up your ass because that was not the question that was asked in the first place. If your opinion mattered, it would have mattered a long time ago before blogging how perfect you are and how you have NEVER broken the law.
None the less I am looking for a professional opinion about the truth of this interlock system ruining a vehicle, because I am in the market for a newer car and I don't want to take the risk if it is going to mess up the main components of the computer system. I understand that some people still try to drive after having one installed but that will not be the situation here. I have found Uber very useful. If anyone can answer the question without a perfect image of themselves being perfect, I would highly appreciate it. I am due to get my license back soon and I would also likeep to purchase a newer car like I have explained. Thank you in advance for any USEFUL information you can provide. I have already excepted the consequences of the falsely accused accusations against me. Thank you.:locked:

Sure, I love how people claim that you broke the law so YOU shouldn't be allowed to drive anymore, but what if you were not over the legal limit and the police take your rights away from you to breathlyze at the time of arrest? So you are saying that things like that don't happen and the police are always right. Good one. I read these blogs and just wonder about some people and their judgements when there is ONE judge above all. So let me ask, how nice is it living such a perfect life? Never breaking the law or being an upstanding citizen? You must be so proud of yourself. I'm sorry to anyone that has lost a loved one due to a drunk driver, I really am. For I cam empathize because I myself have also fallen victim to a drunk driver killing one of my friends. The question was asked not for Smart ass remarks, buthe for the longevity of a vehicle. Not everyone convicted of a DUI is guilty, try living in Collier County Florida one of the wealthiest counties in the whole US. The police around here plant shit in your car if they don't like you. It is the true epitome of law enforcement down here. Not long ago I called a police officer to my house because there is a homeless camp behind my house in the woods, the officer replied to me and I quote, " How do I not know your landlord approved of them staying back there?" That was the stupidest thing I had ever heard anyone say. Then he claimed he was gonna go out back and " try" to make them leave. For God's sake it is a wooded area. I have work on a crisis unit, I know how sick people can be. I have children and would be devastated if any thing was to ever happen to them. The police officer assured me he would take care of it, we'll it was nearing dawn and getting dark. I watched from my back yard for that police officer to vacate the premises. I waited and I watched and I saw absolutely no sign of a flashlight or a police officer go to the back. So for all of you that live in a fantasy world, where the police are here to Serve and Protect, where you are all just victims against drunk drivers. You can actually shove it up your ass because that was not the question that was asked in the first place. If your opinion mattered, it would have mattered a long time ago before blogging how perfect you are and how you have NEVER broken the law.
None the less I am looking for a professional opinion about the truth of this interlock system ruining a vehicle, because I am in the market for a newer car and I don't want to take the risk if it is going to mess up the main components of the computer system. I understand that some people still try to drive after having one installed but that will not be the situation here. I have found Uber very useful. If anyone can answer the question without a perfect image of themselves being perfect, I would highly appreciate it. I am due to get my license back soon and I would also likeep to purchase a newer car like I have explained. Thank you in advance for any USEFUL information you can provide. I have already excepted the consequences of the falsely accused accusations against me. Thank you.:locked:
Brand new semi literate hearie, responding to a dead thread....

How annoying. Plus all the people you are yelling at, have mostly died or quit.

And that was for genuine Deaf disliking deaf.

Aren't there some nice car forums for your ilk??

I don't feel sad for DUI drivers. They shouldn't even be allowed to drive.

I feel sorry for their victims. :(

I thinks it's bit hypocritical to say such a thing.. if you consume alcohol or used to ever, most likely you have driven a vehicle. Most people who get DUI's don't hit or kill people. Last year 10,000 people were killed in drunk driving accidents, and 38,000 people were killed in non-alcohol related accidents, 400,000 people died from smoking. In comparison the death toll from alcohol related deaths is minuscule. The whole DUI thing is all about MONEY; probation fee's, court costs, ignition interlock devices, alcohol classes, lawyers, ect (usually 7,000-10,000$). Police park outside of clubs and bars waiting to pull people over at night. The point i'm trying to make is that giving DUI's is a business, it gives people huge fines that the state receives, effects peoples ability to get jobs, and honestly the amount of DUI's given really effects the middle class. Some people get stuck in the court system for simply not having the money to pay all of the fees and survive simultaneously, getting a better job is very hard because now they have a criminal record with the DUI. If we don't want people driving intoxicated, then don't let bars or clubs have parking lots, it's that simple; but that will never happen because these businesses pay taxes and provide jobs. On top of everything, a lot of judges have been pulled over drunk but are never charged with DUI's (google Nora Longoria). This is a just another way to put people in jail, so counties receive more tax dollars and fine dollars. You or a family member has driven with alcohol in their system, do you think they really should not be able to drive... ever? If so, then bad drivers who kill people sober, shouldn't be able to drive, and they outnumber the drunks. The DUI business is Just a way to take money and hype the population with BS propaganda, so they believe it's right.. Our justice system is not right, the USA has the most prisoners incarcerated out of any country in the world, and the private prison slave-camps are allowed to exist because of lobbyists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back