The disease, Polio, is still around......

Nancy

Reaction score
Current News about Polio

I am surprised Polio is still around -- I have had shots when I was really little to prevent having polio (circa 1970 or 1971). I thought Polio is almost erased out since the 1950s or 1960s, since during FDR's presidency, polio was kind of rampant (since FDR had it himself), and singer Connie Boswell of 1930s singing group Boswell Sisters was in a wheelchair because of it since infancy.

Er...it is old news. There was a big snitfit over imagined intentions with the polio vaccine in Africa. Fortunately, reality prevailed (unfortunate for the people who got infected) and got the paranoid and ignorant leaders back on the program.

Hopefully, polio will finally be eradicated but it will take away given the current infected population.

It's not a surprise polio's still around. Still occurs in third world countries.

However, smallpox's completely eradicated.

Miss-Delectable said:

However, smallpox's completely eradicated.

For now...there are vials still around waiting to be released either accidently or purposefully... No, I don't subscribe to the "X-Files" mentality but never claim something is gone when it could easily be back under the right circumstances. In fact, there was a "Medical Investigation" (fictional) show last season that expounded that very possibility. It was about a corpse (the man died from smallpox two centuries ago) that was frozen in a mountain glacier and later his body thawed which later infected some people. Very scary and realistic scenario. What is worst, we are not going to do well with it this time around if it happens as nobody is vaccinated anymore nor does anybody really have an immunity to it either.

I was vaccinated against smallpox when I was a kid, and got a booster when I was in the Navy. Sometimes I wonder if I have any immunity left. :dunno:

Reba said:
I was vaccinated against smallpox when I was a kid, and got a booster when I was in the Navy. Sometimes I wonder if I have any immunity left. :dunno:

Depends when you got that last shot. I will say that is a darn sight better than what I'm looking at. Those like me who got it young way back when ;) there really isn't much immunity left.

i remmy those small pox vaccine, it was horrible. but today kids dont get those small pox vaccine but polio, do the kids still get those vaccines?

sr171soars said:
For now...there are vials still around waiting to be released either accidently or purposefully... No, I don't subscribe to the "X-Files" mentality but never claim something is gone when it could easily be back under the right circumstances. In fact, there was a "Medical Investigation" (fictional) show last season that expounded that very possibility. It was about a corpse (the man died from smallpox two centuries ago) that was frozen in a mountain glacier and later his body thawed which later infected some people. Very scary and realistic scenario. What is worst, we are not going to do well with it this time around if it happens as nobody is vaccinated anymore nor does anybody really have an immunity to it either.

I remember watching this show, too. It was quite interesting.

Back