college/universities best for deaf people

ClearSky

Reaction score
Is there a college or university that has a good program for deaf people? Such as better service or more deaf students in the school?

Thank you!

Is there a college or university that has a good program for deaf people? Such as better service or more deaf students in the school?

Thank you!

I don't know what area you are in, but Wright State in Dayton, Ohio has one of the best disability service offices in the state, as well as one of the top 4 year terp programs. Sinclair Community College is right upthere as well. Consequently, they both have alarge population of not just deaf students, but students with other disabilities, as well. Wright State also has a graduate program that trains mental health professionals to work specifically with the deaf population: again the only one in the state.

Thank you. I think I saw a website where they state at least one college that has good services for the deaf in each state or less. Even if the group is a small amount of deaf people.

I thought about RIT, but I don't know if I could handle the snow and winter. Again, it also depends on the major, which I don't know at this time. I know that very few majors at RIT interest me. What I like most about RIT is the fact that it has a large deaf population. I liked that hearing people go there because that is real life. I like the awareness that they have for deaf people.

It sucks because I wish each state had a good deaf college or university, so it would be less restricted in location options. I wouldn't go to Gallaudet because I use a cochlear implant and I talk. I don't want to be part of the problems that they cause to the ones different than they are.

California doesn't interest me much.

Thank you. I think I saw a website where they state at least one college that has good services for the deaf in each state or less. Even if the group is a small amount of deaf people.

I thought about RIT, but I don't know if I could handle the snow and winter. Again, it also depends on the major, which I don't know at this time. I know that very few majors at RIT interest me. What I like most about RIT is the fact that it has a large deaf population. I liked that hearing people go there because that is real life. I like the awareness that they have for deaf people.

It sucks because I wish each state had a good deaf college or university, so it would be less restricted in location options. I wouldn't go to Gallaudet because I use a cochlear implant and I talk. I don't want to be part of the problems that they cause to the ones different than they are.

California doesn't interest me much.

Do u know any sign language? When i first entered Gallaudet, I wasnt fluent in ASL and ignored those who gave me a hard time about it. Eventually, things got better. There are more and more people like u going to Gallaudet...students with CIs who just learned sign language.

Austin Community College is one of best deaf programs for the community college, and University of Texas at Austin has the deaf education....

McDaniel's College in MD has a good deaf program..

i hope youre not going to a certain college just for the fact they have deaf people there especially since you can talk.

i hope youre not going to a certain college just for the fact they have deaf people there especially since you can talk.

Huh? Being able to talk doesn't have anything to do with needing accommodations or wanting to have the opportunity to socialize with others who share one's circumstances.

What's the difference? U wanted to go to college based on the number of hot girls so what's wrong with going to college for sign language? I went to a hearing college and a deaf college...I felt more comfortable at a deaf college than the hearing one. My education was just as good if not better.

I know that in America have 3 large universities for Deaf community.

Gallaudet University
Nat. Tech Institute for the Deaf/Rochester Insititue of Technology
California State University Northridge

All three universities are different, and depending on what your major is.

Are there any other schools? I see a lot of schools don't offer degrees in deaf studies or degrees in asl most just have interpreting programs.

btw, Gallaudet is very hard to get into. Also, I hear if your signing skills are not perfect you'll be an outcast among other students.

I have one question to add to this thread if thats ok?

Which of these schools has the bests: graduation rate, financial aid, and admissions rate?

Which of these schools has the bests: graduation rate, financial aid, and admissions rate?

Financial aid remains consistent over all schools bcause it is federally determined. As far as graduation rates, if it is a mainstreamed college that just offers excellent accomodations, their graduation stats will include all students, and not just deaf students. Admission requirements, as well, are the same for hearing students and deaf students.

Are there any other schools? I see a lot of schools don't offer degrees in deaf studies or degrees in asl most just have interpreting programs.

btw, Gallaudet is very hard to get into. Also, I hear if your signing skills are not perfect you'll be an outcast among other students.
If it's signing that you're worried about, then go to NTID. :)

The only thing you should be worried about is admission rate.

Graduation rate varies by year. Sometimes, it will be low. Other times, it will be high. It's YOU that has to make sure that YOU stay in school. I've seen some students brag about how their school has a high graduation rate... yet, they flunk out cuz they partied too much. I've seen people go through school even though the school supposedly had a low graduation rate. So, it varies. :)

As for financial aid, that also varies... depending on your income, how much you're asking for, how much your parents make, what you need the money for, etc.

If one school costs more money, then you are likely to get more money for financial aid. If another school costs less money, then you are likely to get less money for financial aid. Either way, you're in the same position in both schools.

I would suggest you find out which school is best for you, then contact the financial aid department at that school and find out how it works with them. If you want NTID, contact Gail Brown. She's the NTID Financial Aid Advisor. :thumb:

If it's signing that you're worried about, then go to NTID. :)

NTID only has an interpreting program not deaf studies or degrees in Asl.

Wait, I see on their website they have a certificate in deaf studies.

Deaf Studies

Does anyone know about that?

Last edited:

gallaudet is ridiculously easy to get into.

Back