Why do you want to be a interpreter?

Reba, Interesting story... I hope you don't mind me to ask you one question...

How make you interesting to learn about Deafies before you learn signing and become Interpreter?

Reba, Interesting story... I hope you don't mind me to ask you one question...

How make you interesting to learn about Deafies before you learn signing and become Interpreter?
When I was a teenager, I first became interested in sign language because I was just trying to do something "different". That was a pretty shallow, typical teen reason. I took lessons from a CODA at the YMCA. The other students were older than me, and one was a young man, HoH, becoming deaf. The CODA instructor told us about her Deaf family and friends, and it was interesting. She introduced us to the original members of the National Theater of the Deaf (which was established in my home town). We went to their performance. I got more and more interested in Deaf people. In those days (the late 60's) there wasn't as much information about sign language and Deaf culture available to the general hearing public. Looking back, some of my exposure would be sneered upon now. "ASL" wasn't even a common term; it was "Ameslan". Our textbook was Lou Fant's "Say It With Hands", with a whopping 500 signs. There was more emphasis on fingerspelling. We used to practice spelling sentences! Back then, I was impressed with movies like "Johny Belinda," "Man of a Thousand Faces," and "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter", and I watched any episode of TV that had a "real live" Deaf actor or actress (like Phyllis Froelich on a "Mannix" episode).

However, when I joined the Navy, I put all that aside. I became very busy with my career, and then later, my family. It wasn't until much later that I got "serious" about learning sign language. Except for the ABC's, I really had to start over. Our church had a Deaf Ministry, and offered free "sign language" lessons at church, and an opportunity to meet Deaf people. That's how I started. Then, I wanted to meet more and more Deaf people. I joined local and state Deaf organizations, and attended all the social and business meetings, and all the local silent dinners. Now, I know more Deaf people than some of the local Deaf people know! Many have become our good friends. I know Deaf kids, young adults, middle aged, and senior citizens, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, and multi-racial. I know oral deaf, HoH, with CI's, ASL signers, English signers, MLS signers, low-vision and blind Deaf, rich and poor, urban, suburban and rural. There are some Deaf friends that I've known for many years, and I've never heard a peep out of them. There are other friends who never shut up! Everyone is different. :P

As an aside (a little off topic, if you don't mind). Deaf and HoH members at AllDeaf are mostly informed, thoughtful, literate, and skilled communicators (despite our occasional misunderstandings). However, many of the Deaf people that I meet at interpreting assignments and in the community are NOT informed or educated, NOT empowered, and DON'T have social or job skills. They can't use a TTY, email, or IM. CART and captions are of no use to them. I'm NOT saying that they are less intelligent or less motivated. Many of them simply grew up in times and places that didn't provide them with good educations. Many of them have not just "fallen" into society's cracks; they've been "swept" into the cracks. Sometimes they are even snubbed by the more "advanced" Deaf community members. I'm not saying this in any patronizing way. It's just a fact that often gets overlooked. My point is, there are still many positions in interpreting and Deaf Ed that need to be filled, and not enough workers qualified or dedicated to that end.

Off my soap box. :P

That's my "condensed" story. :)

Thank you for share your interesting story, Reba.

I know you for almost 3 years here and learn to know where you come from... I am glad that you shared your story here with us.

No, but signing skill is not indicative of interpreting skill.

Whom do you look to for ethical guidelines? Have you educated yourself at all about standards and practices for interpreters?

***nodding agreement so fast my head is falling off*** Some of the most proficienct signers are not qualified to work as interpreters. It takes so much more than a sign vocabulary. It truly bothers me when people think that all it takes to interpret is to learn a few signs. I know Codas who have been signing their entire lives that are not qualified to function as interpreters.

I am currently taking classes to become an interpreter although that wasn't my first intent. I just wanted to take classes to become better at ASL. My Deaf friends encouraged me to become a terp. Now I see the need for it. I honestly enjoy being with Deaf people and my Deaf friends. If I can have a job that brings me jow like I have when I am with my friends then great. I know though that it won't be great fun but I enjoy things about it so far that I have experienced.

When I was a teenager, I first became interested in sign language because I was just trying to do something "different". That was a pretty shallow, typical teen reason. I took lessons from a CODA at the YMCA. The other students were older than me, and one was a young man, HoH, becoming deaf. The CODA instructor told us about her Deaf family and friends, and it was interesting. She introduced us to the original members of the National Theater of the Deaf (which was established in my home town). We went to their performance. I got more and more interested in Deaf people. In those days (the late 60's) there wasn't as much information about sign language and Deaf culture available to the general hearing public. Looking back, some of my exposure would be sneered upon now. "ASL" wasn't even a common term; it was "Ameslan". Our textbook was Lou Fant's "Say It With Hands", with a whopping 500 signs. There was more emphasis on fingerspelling. We used to practice spelling sentences! Back then, I was impressed with movies like "Johny Belinda," "Man of a Thousand Faces," and "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter", and I watched any episode of TV that had a "real live" Deaf actor or actress (like Phyllis Froelich on a "Mannix" episode).

However, when I joined the Navy, I put all that aside. I became very busy with my career, and then later, my family. It wasn't until much later that I got "serious" about learning sign language. Except for the ABC's, I really had to start over. Our church had a Deaf Ministry, and offered free "sign language" lessons at church, and an opportunity to meet Deaf people. That's how I started. Then, I wanted to meet more and more Deaf people. I joined local and state Deaf organizations, and attended all the social and business meetings, and all the local silent dinners. Now, I know more Deaf people than some of the local Deaf people know! Many have become our good friends. I know Deaf kids, young adults, middle aged, and senior citizens, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, and multi-racial. I know oral deaf, HoH, with CI's, ASL signers, English signers, MLS signers, low-vision and blind Deaf, rich and poor, urban, suburban and rural. There are some Deaf friends that I've known for many years, and I've never heard a peep out of them. There are other friends who never shut up! Everyone is different. :P

As an aside (a little off topic, if you don't mind). Deaf and HoH members at AllDeaf are mostly informed, thoughtful, literate, and skilled communicators (despite our occasional misunderstandings). However, many of the Deaf people that I meet at interpreting assignments and in the community are NOT informed or educated, NOT empowered, and DON'T have social or job skills. They can't use a TTY, email, or IM. CART and captions are of no use to them. I'm NOT saying that they are less intelligent or less motivated. Many of them simply grew up in times and places that didn't provide them with good educations. Many of them have not just "fallen" into society's cracks; they've been "swept" into the cracks. Sometimes they are even snubbed by the more "advanced" Deaf community members. I'm not saying this in any patronizing way. It's just a fact that often gets overlooked. My point is, there are still many positions in interpreting and Deaf Ed that need to be filled, and not enough workers qualified or dedicated to that end.

Off my soap box. :P

That's my "condensed" story. :)

:thumb:

That is interesting story Reba.

I do sometimes ask my terps why they become terps mainly cos it not the most common job choice.

So interesting Reba.
I loved your life story regarding ASL and Interpreting. ;-D

I have not decided about ITP yet. I am being encouraged to go for it on the Legal Terp end since that is the area from which I am retiring. I do not know if I want to give up the easier existence of being SSP though. Time will tell.

First an interesting question:

Am I an interpreter?

Or am I not?

Legally, technically, I have been paid to interpret therefore I am a professional interpreter.

Do I earn a living from interpreting? No. I don't even earn a significant amount from interpreting.

So you can say I am not an interpreter.

I learned ASL as a child from my friend who was CODA and his parents who were Deaf. Back in those days ASL was not a recognized language, there were no interpreters, and no one even dreamed of getting paid for it.

In those days anyone who knew sign language found themselves in the position of being an advocate at least part of the time.

The first time I actually interpreted was when the Deaf man knew of me and refused to deal with the "professional" terp he was assigned. He did not like her: He did not want to deal with her: He did not care how "qualified" she was. Seems that being RID certified does not mean you are going to get the job.

I am getting ready to retire and am thinking about a solid part time income. My daughter thinks I should get involved in terping. There is a serious lack of interpreters here.

But I'm not so sure I want to do this. And the problem is largely with the "code of ethics" part. Mind you, I don't mean those governing confidentiality, nor "professional behavior" in general.

It has to do with one particular aspect. We live in a little Mayberry up here in Northern California. Oroville, to be exact. There are not that many people here. You want to know something about me? Just ask around town, you will find friends, relatives, and coworkers. One time in the local Wally World a manager came to my checkout stand and told the person, "You can't wait on Mike, you know him."

"Which checker here can wait on me? I am friends with, or related to every one of them... and that includes you. Do I have to go twenty miles away to the store in Chico? And I know a few of them too."

Working I don't have time to socialize with many people deaf or hearing. Nor do I have time to interpret. When I'm retired I should have time to do both.

Except: You can't do both.

A professional does not make friends with or socialize with their clients.

A professional does not accept friends AS clients.

So if I become an interpreter I will not be able to socialize with any local Deaf people -- Or I will not be able to have any clients.. one or the other. Okay, I love ASL and I think I would enjoy interpreting as a part time retirement income, but I also want to use ASL in non structured situations.

Used to be people here didn't seem to worry much about this. But now the push for people to abide by big city rules is becoming stronger.

So the answer is to call in terps from "the big city" -- But wait a minute: A RID certified terp who lives in LA is not going to want to come up here and work for twenty dollars an hour when they can stay right where they live and earn $100 an hour.

In the mean time I'm thinking, and I still enjoy improving my ASL skills.

...Working I don't have time to socialize with many people deaf or hearing. Nor do I have time to interpret. When I'm retired I should have time to do both.

Yes, you can. You just have to be careful to keep your roles separated.

Those statements are not true.

Again, keep your roles separated, and clear with your friends and clients.

So if I become an interpreter I will not be able to socialize with any local Deaf people -- Or I will not be able to have any clients.. one or the other.
Again, that's not necessary.

Other professionals who are privy to personal information of their clients certainly do socialize with them. Also, people who have already established friendships will often turn to their friends when they need professional help. Think of doctors, lawyers, bankers, realtors, clergy, etc. As long as they observe separation of roles and confidentiality there's no problem.

Yes, you can. You just have to be careful to keep your roles separated.

Those statements are not true.

Again, keep your roles separated, and clear with your friends and clients.

Again, that's not necessary.

Other professionals who are privy to personal information of their clients certainly do socialize with them. Also, people who have already established friendships will often turn to their friends when they need professional help. Think of doctors, lawyers, bankers, realtors, clergy, etc. As long as they observe separation of roles and confidentiality there's no problem.

I agree. I befriended a couple female interpreters during my doctor appointments and have gone out to dinner. movies, and even fishing with them. I am very aware they "wear different hats" and would not put them into a situation where they are required to interpret, like poetry readings, plays, etc. All the movies we saw had open captions, and it is tricky going out with them but can be done if you have class.

I volunteered to be an interpreter for my deaf co-worker as for my degree requirement co-op job (not related to interpreter). It wasn't easy for me to interpret her with our boss because I am hearing impaired. It was just like convert the communication with two worlds between deaf and hearing. I wanted to build the bridge for them to make their life easier. Of course, my co-worker had a notepad when I was not there.

Next day, I found out that my other co-workers received the announcement for a group of employees to take a formal picture today. They forgot to tell us about the photography day, and we didn't wear formal clothes! Yike! We were in other building when they had the announcement in the office. I was the only one that wore a T-shirt in the picture along with the employees that wore their formal clothes. They were a--hole. My co-worker's clothes weren't that bad as she was damn lucky.

I wanted to be an interpreter because I think ASL is beautiful language and I think everyone should have the right to access all information... was working towards it, then had my son, who was very preemie and has health issues/ physical disabilities...so going to school for Interpreter program went by the wayside.

I've since moved and there is no program for Interpreter anywhere close, so when I went back to school, it was to become Deafblind Intervenor.

Love the language, it is third language for me, and I am working on being fluent (still have long way to go!)...

It's more like, they want to unlock the true communicate of deaf's world. Now, they knew our secret :lol:

Working I don't have time to socialize with many people deaf or hearing. Nor do I have time to interpret. When I'm retired I should have time to do both.

So if I become an interpreter I will not be able to socialize with any local Deaf people -- Or I will not be able to have any clients.. one or the other. Okay, I love ASL and I think I would enjoy interpreting as a part time retirement income, but I also want to use ASL in non structured situations.

I agree with other posters that this is a false split. You can make friends with clients and accept friends as clients.

Why do you think that's unprofessional?

DJ

I became an interpreter accidentally. I started college as a piano major, but ended up being exposed to ASL while in school. I was completely fascinated with it, and I bugged the hell out of the ASL teacher and other students. They were terribly good sports. I picked up a lot just by hanging out with them.

Then, my sophomore year, I got a Deaf roommate and started taking ASL. His parents were Deaf also, and I did a lot of "communication facilitation" in the dorm between him and the other students. I spent most of my free time with him and other deaf people in town, as well as other ASL students.

My instructor knew I wanted to be an interpreter, and so she did a lot of mentoring with me. I also took every workshop I could get my hands on, and read a ton of literature on deafness, Deaf Culture, ASL-English interpreting, bilingualism and biculturalism. For many years I spent most of my waking moments with deaf people and other signers. It was probably a bit much. I now have a healthy balance between my career, friends (deaf and non-deaf) and family.

Though it may not be politically correct to say, I fell in love with deaf people and their culture. I'm amazed at the richness, the diversity, the linguistic gem that is American Sign Language. Being bilingual and bicultural is a gift, one that I received from Deaf people. One that I'm very thankful for.

Back