Home Depot Accuses Customer Of Stealing Pencil

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
METHUEN, Mass. -- Home Depot Inc. has apologized to a carpenter who was banned by the chain after he absent-mindedly pocketed a pencil sitting next to a cash register.

Michael Panorelli, 51, of Lawrence, was accused of shoplifting from the Methuen store last Thursday and banned from Home Depots worldwide.

Panorelli was with a client and had just bought some lumber when he used the pencil to do some quick math. He pocketed the pencil and was met in the parking lot by a loss-prevention worker who asked for identification.

The worker presented Panorelli with one letter saying he was banned from Home Depot, and another advising that he would be hearing from the company's lawyers.

Panorelli took his story to the Eagle-Tribune newspaper in nearby Lawrence, which published it over the weekend.

On Sunday, Atlanta-based Home Depot issued a written apology, saying the incident was prompted by a narrow interpretation of its shoplifting-prevention rules.

"We will not be pursuing any claims against Mr. Panorelli for this incident," the statement said. "We welcome Mr. Panorelli back as a customer in our stores at any time."

But the carpenter said he'll never do business there again.

"I have no intention of going back in there," Panorelli said. "Why should I put money in someone's pocket when they treat me like this? I think they took company policy a little to far."

Oh pleasee it's just a pencil !!...

When I was at my bank signing my check to deposit into my account, I used a pen that the lady gave me to sign my checks, sometimes I accidently put it in my purse, I mean come on, it not like we're stealing it on purpose...It just happen...

I think Home Depot took their policy a bit too far...I find this ridiculous!!.. :crazy:

^Angel^ said:
Oh pleasee it's just a pencil !!...

When I was at my bank signing my check to deposit into my account, I used a pen that the lady gave me to sign my checks, sometimes I accidently put it in my purse, I mean come on, it not like we're stealing it on purpose...It just happen...

I think Home Depot took their policy a bit too far...I find this ridiculous!!.. :crazy:

Oh man!

Yes, I do the same... when we use a paper and pen to have writing communicate and then thank them and leave... I saw pen in my handbag when I'm home... Oh dear, it's not my pen, I know I took a pen from companies or bankier as senseless. They are not upset over that lousy pencil or pen.

But shoplifter is a different story... It's no matter either it's little or big - it belongs to criminal offense but what Michael Panorelli did is not shoplift.

ATTENTION! All purloined pens and pencils are to be sent to Alex along with a note telling him where to send them back to!!

Tou "AD's Shoplifting Cop" si

:whistle: I am one of the people that stole a pencil I thought it was free.

Want it back? :Ohno:

Tousi said:
ATTENTION! All purloined pens and pencils are to be sent to Alex along with a note telling him where to send them back to!!

Tou "AD's Shoplifting Cop" si

A police officer, Tousi pulls a guy over for speeding and has the following exchange:

Officer, Tousi: May I see your driver's license?

Driver, Alex: I don't have one. I had it suspended when I got my 5th DUI. Well, I am very sorry - I stole Home Depot's pencil.

Tousi: May I see the receipt from the Home Depot?

Alex: It's not my pencil. I stole it.

Tousi: The pencil is stolen?

Alex: That's right. But come to think of it, I think I saw the manager 's pencil in the glove box when I was putting my pencil in there.

Tousi: There's a pencil in the glove box?

Alex: Yes sir. That's where I put it after I arrest and beat up the the Home Depot man who owns this pencil and stuffed him in the trunk.

Tousi: There's a BODY in the TRUNK?!?!?

Alex: Yes, sir.

Hearing this, the officer immediately called his captain, Vamp. The car was quickly surrounded by police, and the captain-Vamp approached the driver to handle the tense situation:

Captain-Vamp: Can I see your driver license and Home Depot receipt?

Alex Sure, it is. It was valid.

Vamp: Who is this pencil?

Driver: It's mine, officer. Here's the owner's pencil.

The driver owned the car.

Captain-Vamp: Could you slowly open your glove box so I can see if there's a pencil in it?

Alex: Yes sir, but there is no pencil in it.

Sure enough, there was nothing in the glove box.

Captain-Vamp: Would you mind opening your trunk? I was told you said there's a body in it.

Alex:No problem.

Trunk is opened; no body.

Vamp:I do not understand it. Officer, Tousi who stopped you said told him, you did not have a license, stole the pencil, had a pencil in the glove box, and that there was a dead body in the trunk.

Alex: Yeah, I will be the lying bastard told you that I was speeding, too. What a waste a lot of your time? Feel sorry for the Officer, Tousi did all those dirty work.

Poor Tousi! :eek2:

:rofl: I remember those jokes between old lady and police... You twist it really good one.. :rofl:

Back