Pat's (bbaseballboy) Surgery log

wtg Pat... I hope that you have a fast recovery. but in the mean time... don't over do it... :)

Hi bbaseballboy123, wow very good that you put this behind you and you are now in your way to hear better.
Do you get dizzy or balance problem after the surgery, any pain in head, face?
I and a friend of mine are scheduled to have the CI next month, we are freaking out, LOL :)

Believe it or not, I actually got really dizzy a few hours after my last post...
It was odd because I never got dizzy with my last surgery for my left side. But the reason why I got dizzy is because I had the old one removed and put in a new one which disturbed my body balance but I'm getting better each day with the dizziness.
As far as pain goes, never really complained about the pain but thats because I took pills every 4 hours. You may want to get some sleeping pills because its not comfortable sleeping with the bandages on.

Others, thanks! I just had my bandage removed today and it feels so much more comfortable lol.

edit: Will post without bandages later.
sam0036.jpg

sam0041g.jpg

Look like a whole month before activation! I am glad that the insertion worked out okay after the surgeon ran into some difficulties. Keep us posted!

Banage removed and it feels much better to sleep at night.
sam0046m.jpg

Please note that the cut is longer than for those who would get an implant for their first time. The surgeon had to cut longer (upwards on my head) to get my old implant off.

that is how mine it cut. almost the were the magnet is hooks up. how is your balance now..

Last edited:
that is how mine it cut. almost the were the magnet is hooks up. how is your balance now..

Oh, my left was cut much smaller, just along the ear, no upwards cut.
My balance has gotten so much better since the day after surgery. Barely any dizziness but I am taking my time and trying to avoid dizziness.

Sooo.... I can hear finally!
Once turned on, I was very able to understand english, heard 84% speech during a test

Well Pat as long time Implantee plus various troubles along the way to finally success-today. My deaf journey besides yours was very different. Yeah even have an Advanced Bionics-Harmony-no problems what so ever- so far.

The interesting thing however is that each of us-everyone who gets a Cochlear Implant will experience very different reactions. Not unexpected. For a few of us-it doesn't work-why? Others works right away-after activation and improves with time. For some product breakdown.

Pat your ongoing journey since being implanted offers an interesting insight on the variability of humans re: dealing with deafness. Hope you have an extended bout of good news for many years with your new Implant NO PROBLEMS!

Implanted (Sunnybrook) Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Perhaps the recovery time is "quicker" when one is younger as it seems from Pat's experience.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activate Aug/07

Perhaps the recovery time is "quicker" when one is younger as it seems from Pat's experience.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activate Aug/07

I would probably say its quicker because I already had hearing experience on my right for so many years that it was just easy to adapt.
Once turned on, i was just getting used to the sound volume, then a minute later, me and my doc were talking and I was so surprised how much i was able to hear after 6 weeks of no hearing and different company's implant.
On my 3rd day, I'm able to hear easy, still getting used to the different "sound" and requires a slight more listening but hell, its better than hearing very little english and having to do a lot of rehab to hear normal.

Hey bbaseballboy123, congratulation, I'm so happy for you, why did they take a month and half to activate you?, did you say you were implanted on Jan.10th?
I'm going to be implanted on Tuesday this week, scared as hell!

Hey bbaseballboy123, congratulation, I'm so happy for you, why did they take a month and half to activate you?, did you say you were implanted on Jan.10th?
I'm going to be implanted on Tuesday this week, scared as hell!

I honestly dont know why it was over a month to be activated. I thought that was normal until i talked to my ex who got cochlear few years ago, she said that the bandages came off 24 hours later, and she was activated 5 days later.

Whatever you do on surgery day, you will feel fine, able to walk ect, but thats just the drugs that are keeping you full of energy. Just relax is my advice.
Also DO NOT use anything that has a screen besides watching tv (computers and cellphones are a big NO)

The activation is based on your healing from the operation. I understand is usually 3-5 weeks. In my case 4 weeks Various activation times- just the difference between humans. What kind of health are you in? It come down to the judgment of your surgeon.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

bbaseballboy123, thanks for your reply, but why no computers and cell phones, LOL, you are so funny, ok I will relax and take as much rest as I can

Hohtopics, thanks, will update you guys, I know another lady here who will have hers on Wed this week.

Back