747 Cargo Plane Crash in Afghanistan

If the pilot just passed out, the other pilot takes over immediately. If the cargo shifted instead of the pilot passing out, that's a different situation. There would be no way to manually overcome that.

right but somehow I think copilot didn't notice till then. :dunno:

Expert looks at 'confluence of circumstances' in Bagram crash - CNN.com

one thing that has been bothering me is that it can't be improper weight distribution because these guys are well-trained and thorough. they have a great system and procedure to ensure that everything's in order. it's so effective and great that we rarely hear of cargo plane crashing.

a plausible scenario? a pilot had a black-out? fainted? heart attack?

I have flown in loaded military cargo planes a number of times. Yes, load masters do a fantastic job. Slings and netting are inspected, tested, and tagged on a regular schedule. But, occasionally they fail when put under extreme stress that is not visible to the human eye. If a heavy object rolls back into another, the combined weight starts a quick chain reaction.

A few years ago I had a 10,000 lb strap sling hooked to my Jeep and the other to a small stump. It snapped. Now I know that my Jeep and/or the stump could not put that much tension on it. It had a small insignificant cut on it.

Explain what major cargo shift means?

It is as if two large men were in a small boat. One in front, one in back. It is balanced and safe. The front man stands up and trips, falls backward and joins the other man. The combined weight tilts the boat backward and goes underwater at the stern.

It is as if two large men were in a small boat. One in front, one in back. It is balanced and safe. The front man stands up and trips, falls backward and joins the other man. The combined weight tilts the boat backward and goes underwater at the stern.

Ohh I got it. So that's mean load wrong place due out of balanced or strap was not locked or broke out?

Ohh I got it. So that's mean load wrong place due out of balanced or strap was not locked or broke out?

Yes, but in this case probably not a balance problem. We may never find out the actual cause of the crash if the black boxes that hold the flight data is damaged.

Been wondering if they ever pinpointed the cause to the crash yet ... anyone heard anything else on it?

Been wondering if they ever pinpointed the cause to the crash yet ... anyone heard anything else on it?

lol way too soon. an airplane crash investigation typically takes over 6 months.. or even couple years.

The way my memory is getting I probably wont remember in 6 months lol seeing the video made me remember a aircraft firefighting and rescue class I took a few years ago we got to board and check out a C-130 even got up in the cockpit where the pilot showed us the engine fire suppression controls .... the black box is actually bright orange in those things lol

The way my memory is getting I probably wont remember in 6 months lol seeing the video made me remember a aircraft firefighting and rescue class I took a few years ago we got to board and check out a C-130 even got up in the cockpit where the pilot showed us the engine fire suppression controls .... the black box is actually bright orange in those things lol

yup. big ugly clunky orange box.

black%20box.jpg

Back