Does make of TV effect CC?

If there is a DVR involved that can aphect things too.

Also, turning on CC at the cable box is not intuitive depending on which cable box you have. The newer ones have a setup button, but older ones do not, I believe. The box should have come with documentation and you can also email Comcast about how to set it up.

If you are depending on the CC built into the TV the law only requires it on sets of 13in or larger. I do have a 7in set that happens to have it but it does not have the choice of fonts that my larger sets do.

My uncle has a digital TV. You'd think it would have CC. It doesn't.

It has the option of CC. The TV has to connect to the Internet and download an update to enable CC on the TV.

And, of course, my uncle does not have Internet.

Edit... just realized this thread is moreso about the cable box... :P

My uncle has a digital TV. You'd think it would have CC. It doesn't.

It has the option of CC. The TV has to connect to the Internet and download an update to enable CC on the TV.

And, of course, my uncle does not have Internet.

Edit... just realized this thread is moreso about the cable box... :P

Where did he get it? If local, the store can probably do it for him.

Where did he get it? If local, the store can probably do it for him.

Not sure. He's had the TV for about 3 years now. He probably needs to haul the TV to an Internet cafe somewhere. ;)

Weird because the album is public. I'll try again:

Csign got busted by

grammarpolice.jpg

This one's for PFH:

effect_an_effect.png

I want that grammar police shield!!!

I have a BlueRay player and had to change from HDMI to Composite just to get the caption. Seems HDMI does not carry the caption signal. So much for my HiDef picture.

Note: I think it was composite or Component? I can never remember which is which.

I have a BlueRay player and had to change from HDMI to Composite just to get the caption. Seems HDMI does not carry the caption signal. So much for my HiDef picture.

Note: I think it was composite or Component? I can never remember which is which.

You don't really get HD-quality image with DVDs so you aren't really missing out on much. With Blu-ray discs, you use SDH, not CC.

With my BlueRay player, if I have both style connections attached to the TV I ONLY get HDMI. I have to unplug the HDMI every time I want to play a non BlueRay DVD that only have CC and not subtitles. So I get lazy and just watch things in low def... :( But, that's moot now for me because I now have... two players, one BlueRay on HDMI and one regular DVD on a regular video cable. Best of both worlds.

Comcast has a hidden menu in the box for accessing CC. You need to do the following:

• Turn TV and box on
  • Turn off the box only, but leave TV on
  • Select the "menu" button on Comcast remote
  • You should see a new menu screen pop up, which includes "CC"
  • Select the CC setting you prefer
  • Power the cable box back on

I hate that the laws regarding CC got relaxed to allow these silly situations to crop up. It's annoying as all get out to have to troubleshoot what was supposed to be a plug-n-play setup. Because now you have to play the stupid "which device is filtering out my CC signal?" games.

But I think saywhatkid may have what you need to correct it. If not, start with the TV's setup menu settings, and then work your way up the path of the device connections to figure out which is the culprit.

Sorry because this is all so confusing to me - so, since I am planning to buy HD TV in the future, does that mean I wont' be able to have CC anymore ? :eek3:

Fuzzy

No, you will have CC in your TV, no problem. The issue comes up when you want to connect a DVD player, Blu-ray player, that sort of thing. Some of those things do not decode CCs the way you would expect, and it can be a huge song and dance to get things connected right.

The issue is the HDMI cables used to connect the peripheral devices. Most HDMI cables will not transmit CCs, but some do. Confusingly, they don't mention on the package whether they do or don't when you buy them.

Oh, I see, thanks.
I will make sure I will get the right cables, then,
when I get the HD TV some day.

Fuzzy

Back