Verizon will charge $2 to pay bill online

Since the only payment affected by the $2.00 fee seem to have been those paid by credit cards -- I'm gonna guess that it was the banking industry that got this nixed behind the scenes.

Much as I would like to believe that huge corporations and government are concerned about what the majority of the average unaffiliated American wants -- I can't.

The answer is simple, go back to paper billing and let them figure out what is cheaper. I'm guessing, they will offer you free online billing.

Hahaha! I am not surprised given the backlash in the media today - boy, did Verizon get scolded heavily.

but I have a feeling they are going to increase other fees to get that income they intended with the $2 payment fee.

Yeah it will cost more for to ask for assistance in getting a phone #!

Since the only payment affected by the $2.00 fee seem to have been those paid by credit cards -- I'm gonna guess that it was the banking industry that got this nixed behind the scenes.

Much as I would like to believe that huge corporations and government are concerned about what the majority of the average unaffiliated American wants -- I can't.

If you think about it, with the cash back bonus, paying with credit card saves you money if your bills are payed every month. Basically, you are passing off the cost to the vendor which, I believe in this case, would be Verison. :giggle:

You gotta wear your galoshes with these guys, you don't want to step in the bullshit:

"Verizon said Friday that it was scrapping a controversial $2 fee for one-time bill payments announced just a day earlier. The announcement had immediately sparked an uproar online from customers irate about the prospect of incurring further fees simply by paying existing ones.

"At Verizon, we take great care to listen to our customers. Based on their input, we believe the best path forward is to encourage customers to take advantage of the best and most efficient options, eliminating the need to institute the fee at this time," Verizon CEO Dan Mead said in a statement."

This is too fawking funny.... :giggle:

If you think about it, with the cash back bonus, paying with credit card saves you money if your bills are payed every month. Basically, you are passing off the cost to the vendor which, I believe in this case, would be Verison. :giggle:

Yep. I'm sure that Verizon executives hate, hate, hate the fact that they can't pass on their credit card processing fees to the customers that make them incur them. Well, not easily anyway.

This was probably an effort to do that and they probably tripped over one of the credit card companies rules in the fine print. Every business that accepts credit cards has to sign a contract with the a credit card processing company to do so and the rules aren't exactly the same for each credit card company.

Some more info:

Charging Customers a Fee to Pay with a Credit Card

Convenience Fee: Charging Convenience Fees for Credit Card Transactions

Per the second link, most of the credit card companies say in their contracts that the vendor or business can't charge the customer more than what the processing fee is -- but at least one of the charges (intercharge rate) isn't calculated until days after the purchase. The percentage depends upon whether the credit card being used is a business or consumer card, or a reward card, and possibly some other factors.

So basically, if the credit card companies want to be hard asses this would be a requirement almost impossible to comply with. Or the business would just have to settle for only being reimbursed for part of the processing charges and not all of them. )

ETA: I think another reason that many customers choose to use credit cards instead of debit cards is because credit cards have more protection. So even if someone isn't getting much of a rebate on their credit card, they may very well opt to use it.

Last edited:
I don't use Verizon, but if I did... it still wouldn't be a problem for me. I make my payments through my bank. :)

I use Verizon and I send a check in the mail. I've been too lazy to set it up to pay my bill online or even from my phone.

I almost never use checks for anything. Online, baby, online - only way to go. There is immediate verification when the online payment is processed, no worries about checks getting lost in the mail, it's super-fast, and no postage costs!

The only entities/people I pay with checks are church, the teenager who cuts our lawn, and, oddly enough, the dog license fee of $10. Our several thousand dollar property tax can be paid online, but the county wants checks for the $10 dog license. Go figure.

I almost never use checks for anything. Online, baby, online - only way to go. There is immediate verification when the online payment is processed, no worries about checks getting lost in the mail, it's super-fast, and no postage costs!

Amen to that.

The only entities/people I pay with checks are church, the teenager who cuts our lawn, and, oddly enough, the dog license fee of $10. Our several thousand dollar property tax can be paid online, but the county wants checks for the $10 dog license. Go figure.

Wish I could get my parents to think like that. My mom still sets aside one whole day out of the month for paying bills and balancing her checkbook. I can't believe it. I spend less than 10 minutes a month on this crap. It's completely unnecessary to spend any more than that.

My girlfriend still pays her bills by mail as well. She just did things the way her mother showed her and never thought to change. I'm slowly converting her. :)

If anyone doesn't understand why if they decide to add charge via online with credit card and debit card.

You ever wonder why its free to use debt card that you don't worry about credit card during the history credit or enough income? Because it's BANK that suck the money from the corp on small percent of the whole sale that customer paid on good and/or service.

It was first thing the bank (for example Bank of American) decide to charge on debt card per month because they need another way to make money after govt order to limited instead being abuse on between customer and business on debt card.

So, that's why Verzion want extra money and able pay credit card service and bank fee and keep more profit as they want.

I use Verizon and I send a check in the mail. I've been too lazy to set it up to pay my bill online or even from my phone.

but you're not too lazy to write a check and mail it? :eek3:

but you're not too lazy to write a check and mail it? :eek3:

it's so hard to remember password and realize you forget username or account number
• browser being bitching, prefer IE (f7u12)

check-mail

• crap... no stamp, have to drive to buy one at USPS
• Look for pen, it usually run away in magic la-land.

yeah, so hard. lol

it's so hard to remember password and realize you forget username or account number
• browser being bitching, prefer IE (f7u12)

check-mail

• crap... no stamp, have to drive to buy one at USPS
• Look for pen, it usually run away in magic la-land.

yeah, so hard. lol

it's set on auto-pay. i never have to sign on again :cool2:

The only thing I have on auto-pay is my truck insurance. Taken out on the 3rd of every month. :cool2:

Back