People are so mean!

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
So a few days ago I was on youtube, and I ran into a comment:

unknown poster: few years ago a deaf college student was riding his bike and then he got hit by a car and got killed b/c he couldn't hear the car coming nor the horn. so was it smart for him to choose that path rather not give the opportunity to hear in the real world? similar stories like this, this is why there should be a law for all deaf/hoh students to wear CI/hearing aids.

I felt very offended by this and wrote:

me: I DON'T agree that there should be a law for ALL deaf/hoh people to wear a CI/HA. First of all not many of us has the money or the insurance to afford either CI/HA, but also it shouldn't be forced on those who may just be happy the way we are.

I figured and hoped that it would stop there but nope. I go back to youtube to see another respond:

Unknown poster: Just for your knowledge, Wisconsin became the first state in the nation that passed the CI/HA bill to allow all of the insurances to cover these expenses so this will be easier for the parents! Surprisely, more states are going to follow this approach!

I don't mean to sound ignorant but I'm telling you the truth... Deaf Culture is already shrinking! Everyone knows that! Esp. the people who are deaf supporters but they don't want to show their admission of guilt!

I seriously cannot believe people are so vile.:mad:

So a few days ago I was on youtube, and I ran into a comment:

unknown poster: few years ago a deaf college student was riding his bike and then he got hit by a car and got killed b/c he couldn't hear the car coming nor the horn. so was it smart for him to choose that path rather not give the opportunity to hear in the real world? similar stories like this, this is why there should be a law for all deaf/hoh students to wear CI/hearing aids.

I felt very offended by this and wrote:

me: I DON'T agree that there should be a law for ALL deaf/hoh people to wear a CI/HA. First of all not many of us has the money or the insurance to afford either CI/HA, but also it shouldn't be forced on those who may just be happy the way we are.

I figured and hoped that it would stop there but nope. I go back to youtube to see another respond:

Unknown poster: Just for your knowledge, Wisconsin became the first state in the nation that passed the CI/HA bill to allow all of the insurances to cover these expenses so this will be easier for the parents! Surprisely, more states are going to follow this approach!

I don't mean to sound ignorant but I'm telling you the truth... Deaf Culture is already shrinking! Everyone knows that! Esp. the people who are deaf supporters but they don't want to show their admission of guilt!

I seriously cannot believe people are so vile.:mad:

It's people with a narrow view of the deaf that are the problem. I absolutely agree with you that there should NOT be a law mandating CI's for all deaf people. Good grief! Incidently, I'm hearing.

I do agree with the unknown poster that says that laws are forcing insurances to cover the cost of CI's. I agree with this, but, I also agree that if they're going to do that, they should also force insurances and Medicaid/Mediare to cover the cost of hearing aids as well. What's good for the goose should also be good for the gander! One sided views are never good to advance one's perspective on anything!

lol even hearing people get killed by car while riding bike

It's people with a narrow view of the deaf that are the problem. I absolutely agree with you that there should NOT be a law mandating CI's for all deaf people. Good grief! Incidently, I'm hearing.

I do agree with the unknown poster that says that laws are forcing insurances to cover the cost of CI's. I agree with this, but, I also agree that if they're going to do that, they should also force insurances and Medicaid/Mediare to cover the cost of hearing aids as well. What's good for the goose should also be good for the gander! One sided views are never good to advance one's perspective on anything!

I'm glad a state finally cracked down on it. That's about the only thing I agree with on that (from the unknown poster's view) lol.

lol even hearing people get killed by car while riding bike

:ty: that's what I'm saying!

Too bad! :(
If they do not want to voluntarily plead guilty, then the deaf must have the courage to tell the court, to the deaf self-esteem.

What a stupid audist f#@**cker!

I have had a hearing person tell me that all deaf people should improve themselves by getting a CI...and I told her that she is audist.

I have had a hearing person tell me that all deaf people should improve themselves by getting a CI...and I told her that she is audist.

Seriously!

It's narrow-minded people like this that assumes that we are the problem. "If something is broken why not fix it?" Who ever said we were broken?

My slogan: Ignorance is No Longer Bliss. Be Educated! That's why we must always strive to educate the ignorant. As for the audists.....there's a lot already said....I need not say more.

I hope they invent safer cars for children and the environment then maybe we wont hear about getting hit by a stupid car. Btw I still can't hear incoming cars with my ci because of too many background noises

I don't read comments on YouTube very much. Waaaay too many stupid people commenting.

Seriously!

It's narrow-minded people like this that assumes that we are the problem. "If something is broken why not fix it?" Who ever said we were broken?

I completely agree with you, and I'm late HOH. Just because someone was born different, (or became different later) doesn't mean they're broken, or stupid, or any other negative name you want to throw out there. The whole of American society is based on the fact that we are all different. Different races/cultures. Some people need to shut the $#@! up before they speak.
:roll::shock:

Some random ignorant moron on YouTube? Eh, and the sky is blue. lol. Don't waste your mental breath on fools like that. Move on and smile. :)

I don't see why this can get extremely offensive, tbh. And no one knows the real story except that kid who got hit.

I tend to ignore the youtube comments except the highest rated ones, they are great at giving an understanding of the overall direction of the comments. Works with educational broadcasts too.

He used as a reason why ci on children should be mandatory.

I take that back. He want hearing aids and ci be mandatory for all people including adults like college kids to be mandatory.
this means you too.

s/he was using a case example for why they should. Every statement the individual said was based on the presumptions 'by word' of the accident.

As scene processing tends to do it, you want to make assessments based on as close to how reality would have been.

Here are some questions that could instantly change the direction.
- What if the cyclist was wearing a hearing aid and did not hear it anway?
- What if the cyclist does own one, ran out of battery or put his hearing aid away?
- What if they got hit for reasons not pertaining to hearing?
- What if the cyclist was hit for other reasons (IE: swerved to miss object in path)?

I think like this, things like these change the scope of the issue that make other statements irrelevant, I tend to avoid arguing about something that can circumstantially change the direction immediately without knowing full details.

Feedbacks and helmets don't mix that's for sure

It should be a personal choice but a car is always responsible what's in front of him.

I agree that it's :roll: worthy. What the hell is wrong with people? But, I wouldn't blame that poster for their views. I'd blame the medical establishment that encourages this type of thinking. People are ignorant, and, they aren't going to change until they are educated. I wish more people would educate others instead of getting all pissed off and angry. Granted, some won't give a crap, but, a lot might. With information comes change; which is good for everybody.

Back