The Origins of Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ildri

Reaction score
With all the scientific evidence out there that homosexuality is a biological construct, and the fact that members of the LGBT community themselves say that their sexual orientation is a part of who they are, why do some still claim that it's a choice?

I second dogmom's response. Mostly it is ignorance. Then there are those that are just plain intolerant, and no matter how much evidence is presented, they refuse to see it. Rigidity. A sign of intelligence is being able to change your perspective when you receive information contrary to your previous assumption. Just saying.

A P goes into a V. It's that simple! Black and white! Anyone with an iota of a brain knows this.

Anything else is WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!

I don't need statistics to back me up.

See it with your own eyes!

With all the scientific evidence out there that homosexuality is a biological construct, and the fact that members of the LGBT community themselves say that their sexual orientation is a part of who they are, why do some still claim that it's a choice?

Because it is a choice. The biological construct you speak of is the work of Mother Nature. While anyone and everyone is free to do otherwise, Mother Nature made the P to fit into V and nowhere else. Live your life in the disappointment of your Mother as you choose.
BTW: no more posts on this thread by me....your can't beat a dead horse to death

Because it is a choice. The biological construct you speak of is the work of Mother Nature. While anyone and everyone is free to do otherwise, Mother Nature made the P to fit into V and nowhere else. Live your life in the disappointment of your Mother as you choose.
BTW: no more posts on this thread by me....your can't beat a dead horse to death

If it was a choice, do you think people would actually chose it, to be ridiculed, to be seen as less than human, less than whole? No I wouldn't choose it if i had the chance... but I also wouldn't choose to hide who I am... I did it for too long, and I'm not going back to it... I'm sorry if you think its a choice... but its just like saying being deaf is a choice... its like saying being black is a choice... its not...

People do have choices to make. They can choose to be true to themselves, or choose to not. The thing is, feelings don't lie to you.

People don't exactly choose how to feel about a particular person.

No it is not a choice. You do not have a choice as to whether you are born a male or a female. That is one of Mother Nature's (as you call it) decisions. ( I prefer to call it human biology.) Nor do you have a choice regarding the prenatal and immediate postnatal expoure you receive to the hormones that determine whether one is born with female genitalia or male genitalia. And you do not have the choice as to whether the exposure to those androgens plays a role in your sexual orientation.

Then why does the P fit so many other places? And why does even heteresexual activity include the penis going places other than the vagina? My, but you have lived a deprived life. Poor guy. No wonder you are such a curmudgeon.

People do have choices to make. They can choose to be true to themselves, or choose to not. The thing is, feelings don't lie to you.

People don't exactly choose how to feel about a particular person.

Exactly. We do not make a conscious choice regarding the person we are attracted to. Plenty of hetero examples of that.

I'm bisexual myself and the way I explain it to others who think it's a choice is this

I use to be taking courses for animal science and worked in a dairy farm during that time. About 40% of those female cows humped and acted sexual to each other but when a male was brought in they would ignore him.
Also during my classes I done case studies on many different species from all over the world both tame and wild. In almost 80% of animals that I studies there have been confirmed cases of both male to male and female to female sexual relationships. Both ranging fr4om one times to the mating for life species.

Now if I can find those articles again I would post them but it's been 6 years and it might take awhile.
But you can honestly think that homosexuality it a choice if it is found in the wild where most animals just want to eat,sleep, and reproduce.
In other studies they have actually found slight structural brain differences and hormone differences in humans who showed homosexual tendencies.
If you can control your hormones without drugs then awesome, but these people couldn't and these slight changes MADE them homosexual. It was not a choice for them.

I read that a large number of animals in the animal kingdom do engage in homosexual activities.

Those female bonobo monkeys go quite ape for each other. I think you can find videos of their... Ahem group activities in YouTube.

I'm also bisexual, and it certainly wasn't a choice. (How can anyone know better than I do what goes on in my head or in my life? How can anyone say I made a choice when I say I didn't?) I always knew I was attracted to females, but always sort of brushed it off, telling myself, "but I like guys, so clearly, I'm not gay". But as long as I ignored it and told myself I was straight, I got to the point that I couldn't ignore any longer the fact that I do like women, too. So I accepted my bisexuality. It was something that was always in me that I accepted: It was NOT something I chose.

Not, of course, that there's anything wrong with it :) (Anyone else just think of Seinfeld?)

Another bisexual here to protest the erroneous view that homosexuality is a choice. I add one more animal example: penguins. There was a male gay couple attempting to nest a rock like it was an egg. Zookeepers gave them a real one and the penguin couple raised the chick just fine.
Also, I was always attracted to girls growing up. Guys once they grew up a little. I'm a dyke kind of bisexual, not just lesbian.
There is plenty of research confirming inane homosexuality if you would just look beyond your ignorance.

If you ask my dad, he say my brother gay because my mother let him play with my sisters dolls when he very small. This make same sense say he gay because he choose be.

I wanted to answer your question on why some claim that it's a choice.

1) They simply do not believe the scientific evidence for religious reasons. If they don't believe in evidence of evolution, why would they believe evidence of homosexuality being a biological construction?

2) Some actually believe that gay people DO feel attraction towards the same sex and can't help it but still feel that it is still a choice to act on them. They see this attraction towards same sex as sort of a biological defect (like how some people are attracted to little kids, etc.), but they don't need to act on them.

3) Some gay people DO claim that it's a choice. Personally, I don't know why and I respect their opinion, but I do have a theory on why they say this. Being gay and straight are generally clear cut in terms of attraction and who you want to be with. Bisexuality is not as clear. I personally think there is a large percentage of bisexual people, and most of them never even bothered to even try to act on their same sex attractions. (Why would you? It's not that great to be gay in today's society, you still can be attracted to the opposite sex, so why bother?) The ones who do act on their same sex attractions (other than silly experiments with friends, I do not count those) usually have a "push" for them to do this: They met someone who they were extremely attracted to and maybe fell in love, they lost their trust in the opposite sex, they simply cannot find anyone in the opposite sex dating scene, or whatever. So they can "switch" to the gay side and call it a choice. Because, technically, their act of being with the same sex is a choice for bisexual people. But their feelings and attractions? Not a choice to me.

I have to agree with Herman Cain. If you are going to claim homosexuality is not a choice, show the science proving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back