How did you become hearing impaired? How has it affected your life?

Tigerlilli0

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm doing a project where i must inhabit the life of a deaf person. I need accounts from people who are deaf about what the experience is like and how they feel about it. I'm pretty desperate because i havent been able to get anyone to talk about it but the project is 25% of my grade. I would really really appreciate any kind of response. Thank you!

Tigerlilli0 said:
Hi everyone. I'm doing a project where i must inhabit the life of a deaf person. I need accounts from people who are deaf about what the experience is like and how they feel about it. I'm pretty desperate because i havent been able to get anyone to talk about it but the project is 25% of my grade. I would really really appreciate any kind of response. Thank you!

Are you talking about people who became deaf later in life or it can include people born deaf at birth?

I dont mind helping you out in this case. :)

I'm talking about either one. In fact you don't even have to be fully deaf...

to help. The project is about the hearing impaired, which is pretty broad.

Well first of all, please don't use the term hearing impaired. Use the term deaf or hard of hearing. Hearing impaired sounds like we're broken....besides being dhh isn't the same as being hearing impaitred. Yes, we live without hearing but would you call a woman Y chromosome impaired or penis impaired? Same thing applies.
It's hard to articulate exactly what it's like to be deaf. This is the only experiance that I have ever known. I don't know what it's like to be hearing the same way that I have no idear what it's like to be a male. My experiance growing up was just like anyone else's. I wasn't coddled or protected b/c I am disabled. I was raised just the same as my siblings. The only difference between me and the majority is that I read lips, wear hearing aids and sign. I loved New Kids On the Block, and foursquare, and horses.

DeafDyke, let's not get all politically correct here.

Hey I am not Hearing Impaired. Hence the word "Impaired" means broke. This gives hearing false sense that whatever is broken should be fixed! But of course! I am deaf, PERIOD. I do not want my hearing to be fixed! I have been in silence from the moment my mom and dad form the first cell of me!

DHB

Being born Deaf and accepting myself as who i am took a while, but the main issue was the love and support i got from my family, the life we shared is the life we see, i have what i belive in visionablity and im granted forunte for this, being deaf was hard at first because i didn't understand it a first i thought i was punished because my family was mocking the deaf ( my real dad) but now i relize i was born deaf for a reason, god gave me a reason to see the beauty of life, thru my only good eye, and to be able to understand and communicate in every way of life. sure it was fustrating at first always depending on my family for interpeting at stores or food places back then ofc at dr's office but i always did things for myself and made myself who i am today..... life wasn't easy but surving came naturally to me because i knew i could do it . i hope this helps somewhat...

diehardbiker65 said:
Hey I am not Hearing Impaired. Hence the word "Impaired" means broke. This gives hearing false sense that whatever is broken should be fixed! But of course! I am deaf, PERIOD. I do not want my hearing to be fixed! I have been in silence from the moment my mom and dad form the first cell of me!

DHB

Again, let's not get politically correct here.

The definition of Impaired goes like this,

1 - Diminished, damaged, or weakened
2- Functioning poorly or incompetently
3- Having a physical or mental disability

Dictionary.com

Nowhere in the definition does it say the word, broken in the definition. This is exactly what I mean by Deaf militants spreading a bunch of misinformation.

Well at first, I became HOH (Hard Of Hearing) early at 2 years old which cause my hearing to decrease by high fever and ear infection. I can hear some with wearing hearing aid like when parents calling my name and some words too until 6th grade, I had other ear infection but not high fever. That 2nd ear infection cause my hearing to decrease little more but by the years gone by until about 11th to 12th grade, I became full deaf which I dont need hearing aid anymore since it didnt help any.

Oh yes it affect my life big time, image being deaf in hearing family is pretty hard. You would not know what going on with family without depend on some of relatives who know how to use sign language or writing communication. I am not that real close to most of relatives except my brother and my parents (mostly my mother). I have always ask them what other says or ask what going on. Sometimes that drive them nuts but they need to understand that I cant hear and cant read lips that well (I can read lips some depend on lip movement). I dont go over to my family relatives' place without my brother or my mother because they are not interesting in talk to me without my brother or mother. YES I know they are too lazy for this oppunity. I usually ask them to write down what they say when I dont understand (mostly at work) only when you have oppunity to have paper and pen with you.

You got to understand that it kinda of HARD for them to look for a job that fit them very well. MOST of jobs required COMMUNICATION such as answering phones or talk to customers. Lot of companies would turn you down because of that issue with communication. YES it the law that they cant discrimate against you for being deaf and cant be hired for certain jobs. So, Just try put yourself in deaf person's shoe and see how big difference between deaf and hearing world.

I ain't gonna allow hearing problem, and I ain't afraid of gay people, I ain't afraid of Nobody, I ain't afraid of MEN, I ain't gonna allow my Treacher Collins Syndrome or anything to stop me from achieveing my goal and dream.

Believe me, I will do whatever I have to, to get what I want. :)

Miss*Pinocchio said:
I ain't gonna allow hearing problem, and I ain't afraid of gay people, I ain't afraid of Nobody, I ain't afraid of MEN, I ain't gonna allow my Treacher Collins Syndrome or anything to stop me from achieveing my goal and dream.

Believe me, I will do whatever I have to, to get what I want. :)

This week.

To answer the question, it was at age 2 from bacterial meningitis.

Nowhere in the definition does it say the word, broken in the definition. This is exactly what I mean by Deaf militants spreading a bunch of misinformation.
Banjo, I am not a Deaf militant. However the term impaired sounds negative....I say that as a language maven, and as a Disabilty Rights activist. Why emphasize the fact that someone can't do something? (eg cognitively impaired, mobilty impaired, visually impaired etc) I know that the impaired label is also wicked controversial in the other disabilty communities....Personally, I do not like the word impaired at all....I mean you think like Driving While IMPAIRED. It just sounds wicked negative. I am not hearing impaired....I am hard of hearing!

it has NOTHING to do with political correction! Just the way I felt, and my view! I see how hearies MISUNDERSTAND BIG TIME!!! Enough is enough!

DHB

Banjo said:
Again, let's not get politically correct here.

The definition of Impaired goes like this,

Dictionary.com

Oh, and I'm hoh due to a genetic disorder. I have been hoh since conception!

Tigerlilli0 said:
to help. The project is about the hearing impaired, which is pretty broad.

Oh Dear !! I HATE the term Hearing Impaired !!! My ears aren't broken !! I am DEAF !! Do not ever label me as Hearing Impaired !! :mad:

Back