Hello. I having a problem with Interpreter

JoeyDeafNinja

Reaction score
I have a unpro Interpreter at my high school. I only have a one pro and unpro Interpreters. Pro is awesome, she did great job. She caught up everything and never missed! Well, some lol. She signs fast and clear! But other one isn't. She signs really slow and sometimes she mistaken signs. She would ask me two or three times to sign again! She can't catch up well, she behind like at least 6 or more words. I hardly understand her. I don't understand how High school hire her if she is not pro yet? She still in college. I having a hard time understand what going on each classes. Any tips?

Why do you have two terps? Do they team terp? Or do you have one terp for a specific class, and the other for a different class? Do they each interpret the same number of hours for you each day?

It's almost the end of the school year. Do you know if your terps will be the same ones for next year?

Why do you have two terps? Do they team terp? Or do you have one terp for a specific class, and the other for a different class? Do they each interpret the same number of hours for you each day?

It's almost the end of the school year. Do you know if your terps will be the same ones for next year?

It been same for three years now. Next year will be forth and yes I will have a same terps next year because they are all my school have. I only have a pro terp for ONE class and unpro for other five classes. :/. I have been talking to pro terp about it and she claim that she has other works to catch up. So, I am stuck with unpro terp. I can't believe how my school allow that.

Did you complain to your parents or the school during the other years? If so, what was the response?

What do you mean that your terp has other work to catch up on? Does your terp interpret for other students at your school?

What number of hours per day does the "unpro" terp interpret for you?

Has the unpro terp improved at all during the past three years?

Did you complain to your parents or the school during the other years? If so, what was the response?

What do you mean that your terp has other work to catch up on? Does your terp interpret for other students at your school?

What number of hours per day does the "unpro" terp interpret for you?

Has the unpro terp improved at all during the past three years?

I can't complain because they only have two terps. Pro terps is work for deaf parents of hearing stundents. So, 50 mins each five classes.

Will you have this problem at a Deaf school?

A normal person can absorb 60% of the information lectured to them. Can you imagine how much is being interpreted to you?

The Deaf school is 35 miles from his home.

I don't imagine it would do much good to speak with the nonprofessional terp because it's not like she's suddenly going to get better just because you made your concerns known. You need to take it up with the school itself and tell them your difficulties. I have a hard time believing that there aren't other more qualified interpreters that could be hired. You also need to have a good idea of exactly what you mean by "qualified" (for example, at least an associates degree in interpreting and at least three-years of interpreting experience), just so it's not left up to the school to guess what a qualified interpreter looks like.

Joey, PFH's suggestion is a good one. I know you had a bad experiance at Virginia Schools for the Deaf and Blind, but you may want to check out South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind Not all Deaf Schools are the same...And as a matter of fact, SCSDB, has a School for the Multihandicapped. Which means that they have academics etc. (and the academic program isn't watered down for the kids with mental disabilty) Even if you don't want to go there, and you just want to remain in the mainstream, they might be able to help you with 'terp issues and other mainstream outreach services.....Unfortunatly while the mainstream can be a bit more academicly challenging, they generally are CLUELESS about how to give kids with low incidence disabilties good accomodnations. They also offer summer camps (then again, it does seem like now you'd be more of a EYF or Gally camps kid now)

I can't complain because they only have two terps. Pro terps is work for deaf parents of hearing stundents. So, 50 mins each five classes.

but have you complained yet? Did you tell your parents or school that you are not happy about this unpro terp?

Your parents should request the credentials of the bad terp. They have to be certified, or else the school is out of compliance. Either way, if you're not benefitting from him/her, have your parents send an email to your district rep stating the fact that you're missing a lot of information and you don't understand them because of their poor signing skills. Request that they bring in a new terp ASAP for a trial period at the end of this school year. Then you can see if this new terp is better, and hopefully get them signed on for next year.

You have the right to access the curriculum, and it's obviously not your fault this person isn't any good. I had a similiar situation happen with my son, and I requested a new terp. It took some time, but we finally got a good one. I'd act sooner than later, and be clear and firm with the school district.

What I'm curious about is, if you've had this terp for 3 years why did you wait?

I agree with the above statements re district "not having anyone else." it is the schools responsibility to provide you with a certified educational interpreter. They must seek out another one perhaps from another agency. Stating that they "don't have anyone else" does not absolve them from their responsibilities.

I am honest to complaint to already boss on my interpeter I told him understand I didn't comforbable, might to fires person policy strictest! cause reason otherwise professional quality confidental policy!

I am honest to complaint to already boss on my interpeter I told him understand I didn't comforbable, might to fires person policy strictest! cause reason otherwise professional quality confidental policy!

I'm not sure if I completely understand your post. Did the boss say you can't see credentials because of a privacy policy? If so, they can't do that. You have the right to see their credentials, and how they scored.

Your parents should request the credentials of the bad terp. They have to be certified, or else the school is out of compliance. Either way, if you're not benefitting from him/her, have your parents send an email to your district rep stating the fact that you're missing a lot of information and you don't understand them because of their poor signing skills. Request that they bring in a new terp ASAP for a trial period at the end of this school year. Then you can see if this new terp is better, and hopefully get them signed on for next year.

You have the right to access the curriculum, and it's obviously not your fault this person isn't any good. I had a similiar situation happen with my son, and I requested a new terp. It took some time, but we finally got a good one. I'd act sooner than later, and be clear and firm with the school district.

What I'm curious about is, if you've had this terp for 3 years why did you wait?

Actually, they don't have to be certified to be in compliance. The ADA specifically states "qualified interpreter." No where does it provide for a certified interpreter.

I'm not sure if I completely understand your post. Did the boss say you can't see credentials because of a privacy policy? If so, they can't do that. You have the right to see their credentials, and how they scored.

He is saying that he is not satisfied with his terp because he does not feel the terp is adhering to confidentiality.

I think not bad for 50 to 60 mins for me. That's what I was growing up, and got used to it and still attended sports. More than an hour is pretty far.

I agree. When my son was at St. Rita, it was a 45 minute drive if I took him, and an hour's bus ride if he rode the bus. And he played soccer, basketball, was in the signing choir, and did plays.

Back