Hearing service dog

exactly! Living in Florida I see a lot of people FAKE Service Dogs to bring their pet everywhere, and a number of times these pets have gone after my working dog trying to attack it!

Prey Drive, aggression and everything mentioned can show up in any breed dog--But these do not make good Service Dog qualities and the dog should wash out--dosent matter breed, pit, lab it doesnt matter!

A dog that reacts too happy to people and cant be calm is not good either. You want a level dog that can handle change, and the stress of diffrent situations.

Regarding Breed bans and Service Dogs--Service Dogs are not subject to breed bands.
Miami bans pits but someone could still live and visit there with a pit service dog. BUT harder time gaining access would be expected.

Having had 2 wonderful TYPICAL breed Service dogs I can tell you I have still had my share of access denial and hassle from people. The areas I have lived are now pretty understanding the law--but I do think having a pitty might cause people to have a diffrent reaction because of their rep.

A lot of Hearing Dog programs adopt mutts from shelters and thats wonderful!!

If you are seeking to train your own Id suggest looking in the shelter, If you are interested send me a Private message and I can get you a list of specific characteristics and stuff to look for in the dog! NOT EVERY DOG HAS WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A SERVICE DOG!

Thanks, but I rescue dogs, so I doubt I will ever have a service dog. I always have three dogs living with me. :)

Pits as service dogs

According to the ADA, there are no breed restrictions on service dogs. Any dog, regardless of current state breed bans, are permitted to be service dogs.

I have known several pits that are sweet as hunny and extremely docile. Its how they are raised.

I am needing a Hearing Service Dog myself, just trying to find one thats trained or will be trained. Found a few sites, just havent persued it yet but need to do it soon.

I am currently training my third Hearing Service Dog, She is a Beagle I named Molly. She will be trained to alert me to different sounds such as; my name, the door, alarms, and help me determine location from which sound is coming. In my free time I also like to help other people in training Service Dog to assist them. I have worked with Hearing dog (obviously lol), Autism Service Dog, and Wheelchair Assistance Dogs. Would like to meet other people with Hearing dogs too! :)

Do you train Hearing Service dogs for other people?

I am currently training my third Hearing Service Dog, She is a Beagle I named Molly. She will be trained to alert me to different sounds such as; my name, the door, alarms, and help me determine location from which sound is coming. In my free time I also like to help other people in training Service Dog to assist them. I have worked with Hearing dog (obviously lol), Autism Service Dog, and Wheelchair Assistance Dogs. Would like to meet other people with Hearing dogs too! :)

I love Beagles but I thought they would get too sidetracked by their noses as they love to keep their noses to the ground and that this would not made them good hearing dogs . Our Beagle when be gone for hours once he picked up a sense . Your dog is adorable. I thought of getting a Beagle mix but was worried it might howl too much as I live in a condo.

That is one seriously cute dog. If I may ask, how do you train a dog to be a hearing service dog? I've always wanted one myself for around the home but $$ is a concern. Are there any books on the subject?

Laura

tips or advice on training service dogs

Shoshana-
my name is tom and my 5 year old son has profound hearing loss in both ears. my wife and i would love to train one of our dogs to be a service dog for him. i have searched for info on how to train your own dog, but have not had much luck finding anything except very general and vague information. if you could provide tips or advice of any kind it would be greatly appreciated. we actually have 4 dogs right now. i am leaning toward our 2 year old male australian shepard to train, but our 10 month old great pyrennes is an option too. any knowledge that you could pass on would be helpful. thank you.

tips or advice on training hearing dog

Just bought (Amazon) Lend Me an Ear, by Martha Hoffman. Deals with selection and training of hearing dogs; seems like good sound information, a little daunting. I will be attempting to use whatever help I can find to select and train a dog in the near future. I have had a cochlear implant for one year which has changed my life immensely, however, with profound hearing loss I would like to have the help a hearing dog can offer. There seems to be very limited help in this area, NW Florida.

Just bought (Amazon) Lend Me an Ear, by Martha Hoffman. Deals with selection and training of hearing dogs.

Looks like an excellent book. Thanks for posting, I'll be checking that one out.

Laura

My wife got her Dog Trainers Certification, now she is starting to train service dogs as well, specifically a Hearing service dog for me, we just got a letter that she will be getting a Lab puppy to start training, it is 8 weeks old.

Just bought (Amazon) Lend Me an Ear, by Martha Hoffman. Deals with selection and training of hearing dogs; seems like good sound information, a little daunting. I will be attempting to use whatever help I can find to select and train a dog in the near future. I have had a cochlear implant for one year which has changed my life immensely, however, with profound hearing loss I would like to have the help a hearing dog can offer. There seems to be very limited help in this area, NW Florida.

I forget about that book , I tried to buy it a book store and they could not get it for me. I heard it is a good book.

If I had a choice, I'd pick the Aus Shep over the Great Pyr. Flock guardians are not generally a great choice as a service dog. It would be really awful if you spent so much time and effort training it and then when the dog gets to full maturity to find out he can't be used anymore.

I'm just about to start training my second one. My previous one and my new one are both Vizslas. They are considered more difficult than Labs, just in terms of dealing with. They are both very soft and very full of piss and vinegar at the same time, so you have to learn how to reel them in without any harshness. Now that my boy has passed through his teenage months he's regained enough brain matter to start buckling down. This breed gets dumped a lot between the ages of 9 months and a year because people are unprepared for just how bad it can get. This boy is our third dog of this breed and this period still runs my husband ragged, and he is well prepared for it.

I would like to hear from those who are deaf and desire to have a hearing service dog.......why do you need one? I like dogs a lot and all but I just can't see taking a service animal into a restaurant, for example........what for? Just to show you can?

Please feel free to mention some of the reasons why you'd like to have one......I won't belittle you or anything.

Well, I may not be profoundly deaf in both ears, but I'm deaf enough that I wouldn't hear the door knocking, the timer in the kitchen going off, the phone ringing, someone calling me from the other room (emergency/distress), the water kettle going off, or the fire alarm possibly. Having a hearing dog would give me a great deal more security and sense of independence. I personally wouldn't need the dog for outdoors but they can be trained for either the home only, or the home and outdoors, which is a nice option.

Not only is the sheep dog intelligent but they're also easier to train the Great Pyr., who are known for being stubborn....

I knew someone that had a Great Pyr and the dog was not very friendly with strangers or other dogs and not really good to have around small kids . They do not live long . I think they're a poor chose to use as service dog. The dog has to like being around all kind of people and other dogs so it will not cause people to be afraid of it when it in public places.

Back