What Makes Some Deaf Children (But Not Others) Good Readers?

This is quite interesting and I did some very small amount of research on this very thing last semester for my final paper in comp.

I am a deaf child of hearing parents that had no access to sign language growing up so I can very much relate to Shel. I had absolutely no idea of what was going on 90% of the time. My mom told me that I did not speak until I was nearly 3 and I was almost 2 before I learned to walk. At first they misdiagnosed me as a special needs child, but a thorough hearing test revealed that I was deaf.

Despite my language delay I went on to do very well in language but then again I was a bookworm. I think my reading for enjoyment probably helped my reading comprehension a great deal and the fact that most of my teachers had to write the instructions on the board for me so I could understand the excercise (but more times than not, I never understood the explanation so I still got a lot of low grades).

Because I often couldnt hear the teachers I would often zone out completely and spend my time day-dreaming which I contribute to my overly active imagination.

If a child cannot hear or understand the lesson that is being taught - how is he expected to learn? Especially if there was little to no exposure to a foundational language to which all other learning could take place.

Too bad that most likely they didn't have an early implementation of English.

Are you kidding me? Not in my experience. Those who say that statement "we're _D_eaf - we don't need to learn English" are CAPITAL-D deaf. How many little-d deaf students say that? Isn't there a high correlation between those who are capital-D and having family or early exposure to deaf culture?
They shouldn't be experiencing this so-called "language barrier."

It's just an excuse to lower expectations and not perform well in school.

Back