Deaf School vs. Mainstreaming..Pros and Cons?- Poston

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is a huge disadvantage to hearing school.............the therapists, teachers etc tend not to be experianced with dhh/ classicly disabled kids.....a lot of times, we get lumped in with the "ummmm who's president bush? " types of dumbasses, who tend to really clog up sped.Also, going to deaf school is easier for schduling issues.......no more dropping a class you really wanna take, b/c ur iep mandates speech or time with a tod.

I understand now about the difference between a mainstream school and a deaf school and deaf schools because of ritcount and to me it sound either school would be okay. Although i do have question: Do they have more or less clique or about the same?
Amber N
Per. 3

Oh yea there are cliques among the students ..I don't think the number is comparable to those at mainstreamed schools due to the disappropiated numbers of students. Deaf schools are a lot smaller but if the numbers were comparable then iam sure there probably would be the about the same number of cliques.

There is bullying too ..not all deaf students are all best friends due to different personalities. Just one problem or I should say con is less of a variety of students to meet and make friends with.

hey!! its Sarah Esperanza,

I think that some PROS to attending mainstream schools that you get to go to all kinds of different classes with all different kinds if people...CONS would be that it would be harder to communicate with teachers, students etc.

I think that some PROS to attending Deaf schools would be that you would be with people that you could communicate easily with....CONS would be that you wouldn't have the experience of doing all different kinds of activities or even socializing with hearing people etc.
( i think that socializing with Deaf people is a learning experience for me so maybe it can also be that same for them?)
bye!

hey poston its sarah esperanza...
i already replied to the mainstream vs. deaf schools, but i couldn't get the asl pro login because im a failure at life! :(

hey, it's alexys johnson...
i posted on the Room for the HOH? thread
and i said "well this poses the question if hoh students dont do well in mainstream schools and dont do so well in the deaf schools... what would be better for them despite the negative points?"

Hey Mr. Poston this is Jackie T.

I think that some disadvantages to mainstreaming a Deaf person are that they would have more socialization with hearing people and hearing people could better learn how to communicate with a Deaf person. I think it could be a great learning experience for both Deaf and hearing students. I also think that they would have better English. However, it could be hard for them to communicate at times and harder to make friends and socialize.

At a Deaf school I think it would be much easier for a Deaf person to communicate and make friends, and it could be easier for them to learn. However, they wouldn't have as much interaction with hearing people and their English might not be as good.

Thanks BearBeauty,

Yes, for my ASL class, their first post, I asked them to identify themselves so I know who to give credit to (some of the screen names they think up are just crazy). Thanks to everyone for their contributions, you've sparked some great debate and thinking!

There are more and more mainstream schools. It is very hurtful for our next Deaf generation family. There are more and more Deaf schools closures due to low number of children entrollment to the Deaf schools.

Their future no exposure true ASL language and culture. They focus on interpreter all the day. No sign languager teachers and classroom kids. Miss alot of their visual in the classroom and activities.

It is hurtful for the Deaf society to growing more and more mainstream schools. I am very against cochlear implants at 12 months to 12 years old Deaf/ Hard of Hearing children. The parents and professional doctors/teachers pushy those children to learn how to speak. They miss alot of their educational and sports activities. Their sport activities are very limit.

go to Deaf Blogs and News - DeafRead it will explain more about oral schools and society. It is very fascinated ! What I had go through when I was little kid. I missed so much with my true language with no Deaf teachers at my Deaf School. Very poor education !

Well, the decline in deaf schools isn't always due to mainstreaming deaf students. I know that there are schools that have scandals of the past haunting them.

So you can't put the full blame on mainstream schools... because it's not always the mainstream schools that are causing the decline in enrollment of deaf schools..

as far as making hearing friends, well that's not easy either in the mainstreamed school. Most hearing can be friendly but they can be afraid to talk to you.

They do the same thing with someone on the wheelchair too. There was a person on a wheelchair and no one would sit with her in lunch. And she can hear very well too.

Getting education in mainstreamed can benefit us ... if we could only understand what the teachers are saying if we don't use ASL.

as far as making hearing friends, well that's not easy either in the mainstreamed school. Most hearing can be friendly but they can be afraid to talk to you.

They do the same thing with someone on the wheelchair too. There was a person on a wheelchair and no one would sit with her in lunch. And she can hear very well too.

Getting education in mainstreamed can benefit us ... if we could only understand what the teachers are saying if we don't use ASL.

Yea..I know.

During my years in middle school, I often ate alone at lunch cuz nobody wanted to be seen with me. My good friends in middle school had the other lunch hour but I did try to make new friends with the other kids that had the same lunch hour as I did. they told me to go away and called me names so I gave up ( I had absulotely no self esteem at the time) and spent most of my lunches alone. Sometimes, a few girls would sit with me and say hi but they would start chatering away with their friends. I tried to keep up with their conversations but it was too difficult for me. Oh well..at least now, I have my co workers to sit with on lunch break to make up for it. :)

Umm, I went to public school from 7th grade till I graduated from high school but we had deaf/Hoh program so I went there only for my poor english and math then spend rest of time in regular classroom with skilled intrepters. So my questions was I mainstreamed? Well I was not only one, had many deaf/hoh kids went to school with me.

Jazzy, mainstream with dhh program is an excellent option. I just think that mainstream with very minimal accomondations and no formal dhh program is not good.

Jazzy, mainstream with dhh program is an excellent option. I just think that mainstream with very minimal accomondations and no formal dhh program is not good.

I think so too. Better that than LD class. LD teachers don't even have time with you either because they are so busy trying to teach other kids how to read.

ditto jazzy,
One of the reasons why mainstreaming hasn't translated into huge acheivements for dhh folks is b/c the gross majority of sped programs in the US are set up for LD kids. Unless we are SuperDeaf (high acheiving) we get lumped in with the dumbasses.............hey, the sped mainstream program is so bad that kids with ALL sorts of disablities opt out for specialized placements. You know, when I was at college one of my friends did a project on specialized schools. They found that the research indicated that the kids who did best, were the ones who went to specialized schools!

ok.. if what you're saying is true.. then what about the deaf children who went to mainstreamed school with little or no formal dhh program?

I'm a product of little or no dhh programs in school... and I don't see any disadvantages because I enjoyed my time in school with very few distractions.. mainly due to the fact that I managed to get more of my education in than socializing.. And you can't say that having a DHH program will work for every deaf child. It may work for some, but not others. I had interpreters.. but I was thankful I had the oppournuity to focus on my schoolwork instead of the social scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back