How does a deaf person talk to a blind guy???

It looked like the keyboard was braille. This is probably ignorant but how does he know where to touch the screen if there is no braille?

when he feels it, the phone tells him what he is feeling.. be it letters, icons, etc

Awesome! I needed this the night my best friend set me up on a blind date (the first and last blind date I ever agreed to...) and it was to my surprise that he was a blind date...LITERALLY. WTF?! I was flabbergasted...nothing against the blind (he was hot, btw, so she did get some points) but how was I gonna communicate with him? I did voice, but had a hard time understanding him.

I could have killed my friend, lol. She said it never dawned on her about me being deaf being a factor. DUH!!!!

PFH asked for clarification. Yes, I'm indeed happily married. This was during the time I wasn't married. ;)

Looooooooong time ago. lol

No idea, its his phone. I can ask.

No doubt a completely activated system, like the computers we use for blind students. They can dictate an entire paper or exam answers, etc. into the system, and get out a print version.

That was fascinating to watch. So, he texts you so he can communicate with you?

You say it's an Iphone. The screen, obviously, must be in braille? Technology is amazing.

Actually, most blind people don't know how to read Braille. Technology is to be blamed: audiobooks, screen-readers, magnifiers. Unemployment is high among the blind because most of these people can't afford the fancy gadgets in order to find work.

And no, PFH, i am not suggesting Gerry can't read. Just stating the reality of the situation of the population at large.

Actually, most blind people don't know how to read Braille. Technology is to be blamed: audiobooks, screen-readers, magnifiers. Unemployment is high among the blind because most of these people can't afford the fancy gadgets in order to find work.

And no, PFH, i am not suggesting Gerry can't read. Just stating the reality of the situation of the population at large.

Yes. The most expensive of all work accommodations are those for the blind. Ironically, the most inexpensive are those for the deaf.:cool2:

I know. 80% of the blind or something like that can't read braille. 90% unemployed.

Again, SS for the blind here in the states are like $1600-1700/mo which is very comfortable to live on in a lot pf places.

Thats real neat. wish the accomodations of many reliable usefuls for everyone become more convenient lately.

Yes. The most expensive of all work accommodations are those for the blind. Ironically, the most inexpensive are those for the deaf.:cool2:

Braille is the most readily-available form of accessibility. People are taught the Louis Braille story in school, then grow up believing all blind people can read. We have Braille for menus, ATMs, signs, fact plates at museums. Yet the people who benefit from it the most are denied the education to utilize such a common mode.

Ontop of that, the education system likes using the aural method because it's cheaper for them to use over the long run. Yet once the students are on their own, they're either unable to afford to buy the devices they used throughout their educational life or they're unable to afford the repair or replacement costs of the devices. Yet replacing a Braille device impulsively is cheaper than the alternatives.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Well, what was the surprise? That you understood what he muttered at you at one point?

Isn't Iphone a wonderful techology, I am sure USA have these, We have pro quo (not 100% of the name) which is ideal for people who is limited with speech/mobility to commuicate with outside world. All they need to is press the pictures or word sound then it forms a sentence which is spoken. It costs approx £100. Can be used with Ipad.

Isn't Iphone a wonderful techology, I am sure USA have these, We have pro quo (not 100% of the name) which is ideal for people who is limited with speech/mobility to commuicate with outside world. All they need to is press the pictures or word sound then it forms a sentence which is spoken. It costs approx £100. Can be used with Ipad.

Agreed. The first population that comes to mind is deaf CP sufferers who do not have the muscle control to sign. Speech boards were really great when they came out, but were so big and cumbersome.

Very Very cool PFH. The phone speak's awfully fast tho for me to really follow along to whats being said. I would have to agree that a actuall keypad might make things a wee bit smoother for him to use tho. But that's just me being a lazy sod and hating touch screen.. Used to have the blackberry storm when it first came out. totally put me off on touch screenies!

Has anyone noticed the interesting irony? Blind persons using technology while it seems deaf persons shouldn't use technology eg. Cochlear Implants. Spouted by non deaf persons-Jillio and PFH. I picked this before.
Perhaps Jillio can explain this cognitive dissonance!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Has anyone noticed the interesting irony? Blind persons using technology while it seems deaf persons shouldn't use technology eg. Cochlear Implants. Spouted by non deaf persons-Jillio and PFH. I picked this before.

Failure to see the point: The point is I can communicate without a CI as is evident here.

Uhhh...that is not "cognitive dissonance". Again, learn the terminology berfore attempting to throw it around. Too much Dr. Phil for you!:laugh2: You just keep doing it to yourself.:roll:

PFH is very much deaf...and Deaf. For me, I am Deaf. Again, a total misunderstanding of the terminology you are attempting to use. Seriously, dude...you remind me of a high school student who has studied for an exam, but made the mistake of memorizing a bunch of words without taking time to understand what they mean. Their exam answers are nonsense, too.:laugh2:

Last edited:
Back