Meat eater VS vegetarian/vegan

I prefer wild fish over stock fish. Most obvious example would be trouts here in Colorado.

The division of wildlife releases about 60 million baby trouts into our streams annually. This is so other animals can feed on the trouts and we can participate in recreational fishing.

The biggest issue I can see with these trouts are that when you catch a rainbow trout you can tell the difference between a stocked trout and a wild trout. The stocked trouts were raised on eating plants while wild trouts grew up eating bugs, having more protein in them. The visual difference is that their bellies are colored differently. Stocked trouts would have whiter bellies than the pink of the wild trouts.

Cooking: Wild trout meat will be orange. Stocked white.

Fishing for wild trout is much harder. I've had the opportunity to experiment with actual wild trouts within feet from me.

Soooo, fish pond? Man made and introducing trouts? I'd give it several years before you catch your own in the pond.

They say its not healthy to eat too much fish due to the stuff that was polluted from the ocean/lakes. I forgot the other reasons.

It's not healthy to eat too much of anything anyway.

I prefer wild fish over stock fish. Most obvious example would be trouts here in Colorado.

The division of wildlife releases about 60 million baby trouts into our streams annually. This is so other animals can feed on the trouts and we can participate in recreational fishing.

The biggest issue I can see with these trouts are that when you catch a rainbow trout you can tell the difference between a stocked trout and a wild trout. The stocked trouts were raised on eating plants while wild trouts grew up eating bugs, having more protein in them. The visual difference is that their bellies are colored differently. Stocked trouts would have whiter bellies than the pink of the wild trouts.

Cooking: Wild trout meat will be orange. Stocked white.

Fishing for wild trout is much harder. I've had the opportunity to experiment with actual wild trouts within feet from me.

Soooo, fish pond? Man made and introducing trouts? I'd give it several years before you catch your own in the pond.

That's cool. I plan to be alive for a good while longer, I can wait :)

Urban gardens. Indoor gardening. Balcony gardening. Rooftop gardening. I know of one couple who cultivate honey on their rooftop to earn a bit of extra income. And my city just passed a bylaw permitting chicken coops in backyards.

That's great! Also, word of warning: free range doesnt always mean healthy. There was a free range farm in Canada that was forced to be shut down because they had so many chickens in the barn that even though the door was left open, the chickens were too crowded in to be able to get out and this overcrowding made them too weak and sick to be able to move much at all. Apparently to be considered free range, you only need to leave the door open.

that is exactly how you engage in intellectual conversation with people about food they're eating :)

If people still don't care... so what? It's their loss and they will develop cancer or serious health issue later on. It's not your problem and you can't save everybody especially idiots. You only need to focus on convincing one person instead of several idiots because from there... that one person will convince other people too.

It's much more effective that way than resorting to cheapshot method like Earthlings. Based on my experience and I believe it's already confirmed by experts... it's more effective to inform the public in informative, intellectual manner than using shocking videos after videos because Earthlings offered no dialogue. no information. nothing. It's just as bad as brainwashing technique used in Clockwork Orange.

btw - you're right that just because the label said the food is organic or free-ranged... it doesn't mean diddly squat because all they had to do is meet MINIMUM requirements to get such label. That's why I look for specific brand that has good reputation.

Fish Pond... I dunno but I'm not too fond of it. I get the image of fish pond as stagnant... inbred... :dunno:

Earthlings does have dialogue and information - and it's no different from any other form of reporting except that it's visual where an article I linked about that chicken farm to is just words. Still the same story and still the same graphic descriptions. I think it's the visual aspect you don't like. I have a feeling that if I had posted to a video about that chicken farm instead of an article, you would tell me you don't like the shock tactic. The thing is a photo tells a thousand words and that's why it can be much more effective than just the written word.

It's one thing to read about animal cruelty and quite another to see photos and or videos of it. the visual leaves a far bigger impact and stays in your mind longer.

I don't consider Earthlings a cheap shot at all, people just don't like seeing the visuals of the cruelty humans have imposed on animals raised for profit. Those videos are true and real and very much a portrayal of what's really going on behind the scenes for we don't see it when we go to the grocery store or to the pet store.

sequoias made my point perfectly for me - he doesn't like to see animals killed and butchered but he likes eating meat. that's classic head in the sand avoidance of the truth.

Earthlings does have dialogue and information - and it's no different from any other form of reporting except that it's visual where an article I linked about that chicken farm to is just words. Still the same story and still the same graphic descriptions. I think it's the visual aspect you don't like. I have a feeling that if I had posted to a video about that chicken farm instead of an article, you would tell me you don't like the shock tactic. The thing is a photo tells a thousand words and that's why it can be much more effective than just the written word.

It's one thing to read about animal cruelty and quite another to see photos and or videos of it. the visual leaves a far bigger impact and stays in your mind longer.

I don't consider Earthlings a cheap shot at all, people just don't like seeing the visuals of the cruelty humans have imposed on animals raised for profit. Those videos are true and real and very much a portrayal of what's really going on behind the scenes for we don't see it when we go to the grocery store or to the pet store.
You missed one critical thing from my post - Earthlings used shocking videos after videos after videos. It's repetitive. It's exactly same technique used for brainwashing people. It's how misconception and misinformation began.

If a person cannot convince people with just words along with few videos/photos alone... then it's ok to resort to extreme measure? That's what terrorists, KKK, Fat Cats (tobacco, McDonald, etc.), Brady Campaign, and special interest groups do to scare people into believing their version of truth without question. A fear-mongering method.

sequoias made my point perfectly for me - he doesn't like to see animals killed and butchered but he likes eating meat. that's classic head in the sand avoidance of the truth.
so we should put him in front of tv and force him to watch Earthlings from start to end to make him see the truth?

Jiro,

factory farming, animal shelters, puppy mills have been reported about for years and nothing's changed. Then the creators of Earthlings decided it's time to shake things up and hold up a mirror to society and say "this is what you have done. The truth is ugly but you owe it to those animals to bear witness to how your demands and attitudes have affected literally the lives of billions of living breathing beings."

If people want to consider that a cheap shot and a fear-mongering method, not my problem. that's theirs -. I applaud Earthlings for having made a difference that years and years of reporting had not. They are not the ones imposing such widespread cruelty and atrocity, it's us, you, me, the guy next door, it's all of us. Earthlings is making us look at ourselves in the mirror and what we're seeing is so atrocious most of us cannot bear to look head on at what we've done. Isn't that more horrific than people putting several videos together? I think so.

Jiro,

factory farming, animal shelters, puppy mills have been reported about for years and nothing's changed. Then the creators of Earthlings decided it's time to shake things up and hold up a mirror to society and say "this is what you have done. The truth is ugly but you owe it to those animals to bear witness to how your demands and attitudes have affected literally the lives of billions of living breathing beings."

If people want to consider that a cheap shot and a fear-mongering method, not my problem. that's theirs -. I applaud Earthlings for having made a difference that years and years of reporting had not. They are not the ones imposing such widespread cruelty and atrocity, it's us, you, me, the guy next door, it's all of us. Earthlings is making us look at ourselves in the mirror and what we're seeing is so atrocious most of us cannot bear to look head on at what we've done.
Earthlings movie came out in 2005. PETA came about in around 1980's.

How is it going so far? Are cruel slaughterhouses, farmers, and puppy mills still in business?

Isn't that more horrific than people putting several videos together? I think so.
It isn't about how horrible it is. I'm questioning its method used to convince people to think about it. You know that I'm a very level-headed and logical person. If Earthlings cannot convince me, then how can it convince thousands of people?

Food, Inc. and your 2 long posts above can enable me to strongly convince people to think about what they're eating because it's full of information that people need to make an informed decision.

But I don't see any information from Earthlings. It's disgusting. It destroys any chance or possibility for people to have an intellectual discussion to begin with. It doesn't even offer anything for me to do something about it. It's basically saying one thing - "don't eat meat. don't buy pets."

You think about it. Which one is much more likely to convince people to buy produces from local farmers - Earthlings or your 2 posts above.

Of course Earthlings is disgusting - it's showing us the effects of our attitude towards animals. Earthlings is about specism. (the belief one species is superior to all others).

And Earthlings has made a very big impact, did it succeed in shutting down all puppy mills, factory farms, animal shelters? No, of course not but did it make an impact, make people talk, make some people think twice about where to buy pets or meat? Yes. It did have an effect. I know quite a few people who changed their ways after seeing Earthlings.

Everyone reacts differently. If the articles I talked about was so effective, why didn't they make more of an impact than Earthlings?

They didn't.

I almost fell asleep watching Earthlings. That was my reaction.

It was very poorly done, to be honest. The narrative was not completely in sync with what was being shown so I had to really watch the captions, fading the visuals away. Then at that point, the narrative was boring and did not reel me in.

hmm. lets picture this scenario. its in the middle of winter. you had a bad summer of collecting and storing your crop. ground is frozen. out of food. need food. you see a brown bunny hopping along on the snow. or a deer. no trees for miles for eating bark or making tea from pine needles. now what?
come spring.you survived. are you still a vegetarian? or just a mix? is eating wildlife a cruelty? Mother nature provided us a way for having a circle of life for thousands of years.

On the other hand, many people becomes vegetarians in a protest in animal cruelty because they are trying to feed the world without depleting the wildlife animals.

Why not have your own farm? raise animals the way you want?
I would have hard eating an animal that I raise. My dad once got a live turkey from a friend for our Thanksgiving dinner. We kept the turkey in our basement as our yard was set up for it. When it came time for dad to kill the turkey my sisters and I said we would not eat it! Dad had to bring back the turkey and buy one from a store! The turkey was like a pet to us!!

Of course Earthlings is disgusting - it's showing us the effects of our attitude towards animals. Earthlings is about specism. (the belief one species is superior to all others).

And Earthlings has made a very big impact, did it succeed in shutting down all puppy mills, factory farms, animal shelters? No, of course not but did it make an impact, make people talk, make some people think twice about where to buy pets or meat? Yes. It did have an effect. I know quite a few people who changed their ways after seeing Earthlings.
It didn't have any effect on me and if it didn't have any effect on me, I can tell you with guarantee that Earthlings has failed its purpose to garner enough attention to do something about it.

Food, Inc. was actually more recognizable and the most talked movie. How about any "shocking" movies like Earthlings and Behind the Mask? They shocked themselves to deaths. How shocking is that? :lol:

Everyone reacts differently. If the articles I talked about was so effective, why didn't they make more of an impact than Earthlings?

They didn't.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Have you seen these threads? More and more ADers including me are more conscious about food they're eating and it wasn't from watching Earthlings.

Wirelessly posted

where can I see this most talked about topic, earthling and food, inc? I dont have netflix or cable so I can put my opinion in on this too lol

Wirelessly posted

where can I see this most talked about topic, earthling and food, inc? I dont have netflix or cable so I can put my opinion in on this too lol

h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce4DJh-L7Ys

Food Inc you might be able to borrow from your library.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Have you seen these threads? More and more ADers including me are more conscious about food they're eating and it wasn't from watching Earthlings.

I wasn't refering to AD exclusively.

I had heard about Earthlings through Facebook over a year ago and there was quite a bit of a buzz about it and people commenting and talking and there's also the Earthlings page.

I do know based on feedback from many people that Earthlings was what tipped them over the edge to veganism. They were repulsed by what they had seen on Earthlings and gave them more resolve to be more pro-active about their consumer choices. Sometimes the written word is just not enough. Sometimes a visual shock is exactly what's needed to wake people up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The thing that's bugging me is your constant use of the word "fearmongering" - you're making it sound like earthlings is some corrupt evil company trying to brainwash people into doing bad things like um, NOT buy factory farm meat, to NOT buy puppies from pet stores and to SPAY their pets so their offsprings would not end up in shelters and be euthanised.

Ooooh, such fearmongering...

What I learned that there are people who are not sane that plucks swine testicles out and just toss it over onto the ground while the piglets are in their arms.

I wasn't refering to AD exclusively.

I had heard about Earthlings through Facebook over a year ago and there was quite a bit of a buzz about it and people commenting and talking and there's also the Earthlings page.

I do know based on feedback from many people that Earthlings was what tipped them over the edge to veganism. They were repulsed by what they had seen on Earthlings and gave them more resolve to be more pro-active about their consumer choices. Sometimes the written word is just not enough. Sometimes a visual shock is exactly what's needed to wake people up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The thing that's bugging me is your constant use of the word "fearmongering" - you're making it sound like earthlings is some corrupt evil company trying to brainwash people into doing bad things like um, NOT buy factory farm meat, to NOT buy puppies from pet stores and to SPAY their pets so their offsprings would not end up in shelters and be euthanised.

Ooooh, such fearmongering...

"Fear-Mongering" is when a certain group with agenda fears people into what they want without letting them think about it. It guilted people into it without letting them question their conscience. How can you think Earthlings is great if they employed same tactic as politicians and Fat Cats?

Believe me - there's nothing "pro-active" about Earthlings... It reeks of "Michael Moore"ish and PETA vigilantism. Beside, it can actually hurt local farmers raising animals because Earthlings feared people into being vegans. and it can damage our vegetables because if more and more people turn into vegans, agri-corporations would find a way to produce vegetables as cheaply as possible including GMO which can and has already hurt poor countries like Mexico.

Pro-activity is when there is a holistic balance that is in good harmony with Mother Earth. This is a huge win-win for all especially good people because everybody benefits from it (except Fat Cats). Local farmers raising animals stay in business. Consumers buy fresh produces and/or healthy meat from local farmers instead of chain stores. More and more chain franchises (McDonald, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc.) will cease to exist because they no longer can mass-produce food as cheap as possible.

Back