Deaf and Dumb School

This is a shock! What's even more of a shock is that Oxford Dictionaries verified this!

?
No - the poster who mentioned the the original meaning of the word "dumb" meaning unable to speak is correct - but it meant that ove a hundred years ago...over time dumb started to be connected to meaning "dumb people" (non-speaking people) were unintelligent because they were unable to speak. This associate in words continued until the meaning of dumb no longer primarily meant unable to speak, but instead meant someone who was "stupid" or unintelligent.

We see this type of mutation of word meaning all the time ... just think of the word "cool" ... which used to primarily mean an indication of temperature - now the common usage of "cool" also means something that is "neat", "hip" etc.

Of course as the usage and meaning of words change we (people in general) have a responsibly to not only remind ourselves and others of the original meaning, but also correct improper connections, and culturally/socially/politically/morally offensive usage of the word when necessary. This is seen clearly the case of the word "dumb"

?
No - the poster who mentioned the the original meaning of the word "dumb" meaning unable to speak is correct - but it meant that ove a hundred years ago...over time dumb started to be connected to meaning "dumb people" (non-speaking people) were unintelligent because they were unable to speak. This associate in words continued until the meaning of dumb no longer primarily meant unable to speak, but instead meant someone who was "stupid" or unintelligent.

We see this type of mutation of word meaning all the time ... just think of the word "cool" ... which used to primarily mean an indication of temperature - now the common usage of "cool" also means something that is "neat", "hip" etc.

Of course as the usage and meaning of words change we (people in general) have a responsibly to not only remind ourselves and others of the original meaning, but also correct improper connections, and culturally/socially/politically/morally offensive usage of the word when necessary. This is seen clearly the case of the word "dumb"

I am sorry for being blunt about the word "dumb". Would the OP and you forgive me for not thinking too clear on the idea of being stupid. Everyone of us have different ideas about the words that we misunderstand. You are absolutely right. Again I am sorry. :(

Yeah, all it was mis-interpreted as a word (dumb) by the people for a long time till recent times.

Boy, am I glad that it was removed (deaf and dumb) altogether!

?

Yup, meaning of some words do change over time. I am old enough to remember that gay meant happy, not homosexual.

I also understood that in the past, dumb mean not able to speak because of the bible where few men were struck dumb. It had nothing to do with intelligent.

The deaf school where I attended as a day student had several cheerleading/football banners that had both dumb and mute on them. The school had them on the display in the gym building. I remember trying to get my cousins and hearing friends away from that display.

Yup, meaning of some words do change over time. I am old enough to remember that gay meant happy, not homosexual.

I also understood that in the past, dumb mean not able to speak because of the bible where few men were struck dumb. It had nothing to do with intelligent.

This is very true. There was a time, I think in the early 20's, when "fag" meant cigarette.

"Excuse me. Do you have a match so I can light my fag?"

i am hearing but been signing sence i was 8 but starting to forget a lot of ASL.... just to say that i never like the term deaf and dumb, that should change and be left back in time... no one is dumb

i call a cig a fag sometimes lol.... some people look at me weard when i say im going to have a fag. it just makes me laugh

Deaf - D to mouth then ear
Dumb - A to forhead palm facing in.

But this is offensive.

Back